The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 07, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

"For the better part of a month", last I checked we play more than one game in a months worth of time. Pretty sure Eriksson had a 4 point game once here too. Lol. Does that make his entire time here good? 

I’m pretty sure Pearson was one of our top producers in November with something like 12 points in 15 games. Sure, a 4 pt game helps, there’s no denying that. Still, having a hard time figuring out how he hasn’t been important all month. 
Pearson is not stealing Virtanen’s spot, which is on Gaudette’s wing alongside Roussel imo. 

We need Edler back in a big way, Edler knows how to eliminate players from the cycle on the powerplay 

we simply can’t sit back in a box and hope the other team gives away the puck or pray they don’t score. We need to pressure the play and force a turnover

wish we would have stuck up for Bo but that’s Coach Ghandi’s mantra .... never ever stick up for a player and risk a penalty 

that said I loved the win but we need to fix a few things 

lets get Marky back as our number 1, not a great game from Demko 

on another note, the ridiculous delay of game rule has really impacted the ability to clear the puck out of green defensive zone. Players don’t want to risk playing the shot out off the glass and instead try the on ice route which can lead to a higher percentage of turnovers. I agree 100 percent with Garret and I have said it on here many times, when in doubt clear the puck out over our blue line, anything else is a bonus 

Edited by canuck2288

10 hours ago, langlands said:

Oh!  We have a sabre fan here.  Just let me drop everything and give you a summary of the last 15 pages. lol.

:bigblush:

\

eh...your team looks good but they lost. There ya go.

Fair!  :lol: 

I'd probably say the same thing.  I asked because in the PGT, games have a habit of getting a bit "revised".

I actually got a solid update by someone in my comment section.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Game played out like clockwork.

Canucks blowing leads

Poor Buffalo goaltending

2 young teams making mistake after mistake

Horrible reffing

CDC bitching worse than the reffing

Eriksson crucified - even though didn't play

back to back high paced play

Garrett talked about food during important game moments

Horrible reffing

Saturday beers

Super Excitement and nail biting

You know ... the Yooze

Great summary!  Thanks!  :lol:

• Haha 3

One of the weaknesses the Canucks have had under Benning was pro scouting. 

I am saying was, because I think he and his scouts learned their lessons from the Loui signing. And they do a lot more homework. 

Because if you look at signings that seemed minor, guys like Graovac, and Fantenberg, they seem to be paying dividends.

Rarely have I seen a team part with a 1st rounder and it pays the kind of dividends we're seeing with JT Miller. 

The best part is Benning is picking up UFA guys from College that are free prospects that don't even require draft picks. 

Sadly Kielly is struggling even in the ECHL, but Teves and Rafferty seem solid pick ups. 

Long term we're going to need more Centres and possibly wingers. But the encouraging signs that Lind and Gags seem to improving this year. 

Guys like Focht, and Madden are hopefully in the AHL and NHL sooner rather than later. 

Maybe Linus Karlsson will play in the AHL next year, and be a big surprise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

"For the better part of a month", last I checked we play more than one game in a months worth of time. Pretty sure Eriksson had a 4 point game once here too. Lol. Does that make his entire time here good? 

Tanner Pearson's on pace for like 50 points and 20 goals????????

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

We need Edler back in a big way, Edler knows how to eliminate players from the cycle on the powerplay 

we simply can’t sit back in a box and hope the other team gives away the puck or pray they don’t score. We need to pressure the play and force a turnover

wish we would have stuck up for Bo but that’s Coach Ghandi’s mantra .... never ever stick up for a player and risk a penalty 

that said I loved the win but we need to fix a few things 

While I agree that Edler is crucial to our defense core he's just as guilty as anyone else for standing in a box allowing the opposition to take all day to make a play. It isn't any one individuals fault, it's the fault of the coaching staff and their methodology. The D men are just playing the style of defense they're being told to. Which is box out, clog up the lanes, block shots.  When I looked at it a couple weeks ago Edler and Tanev were like 2nd and 3rd in the league for blocked shots. That speaks volumes right there. Bottom line is that you won't see a change in the teams style of play until the coaching staff changes because they are the driver of that bus.

Regarding Bo, I don't think there was anything malicious about the play. It was coincidental contact. Apparently Bo went over to talk to the guy after and he hadn't even realized he hit him in the head. 

No need to give him the Steve Moore treatment over it!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | J.T. Miller

I absolutely LOVE this guy. Great player, says the right things with the media and in spite of draft year questions about coachability according to Brian Burke, Miller seems like great veteran leadership. I'm sure JB did his due diligence before making the trade, but no doubt this has been the acquisition of his career. Finding a inexpensive, under-used player of this caliber with term, and he ONLY cost us a 1st rounder, no prospects or additional picks? That's robbery!

4 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I absolutely LOVE this guy. Great player, says the right things with the media and in spite of draft year questions about coachability according to Brian Burke, Miller seems like great veteran leadership. I'm sure JB did his due diligence before making the trade, but no doubt this has been the acquisition of his career. Finding a inexpensive, under-used player of this caliber with term, and he ONLY cost us a 1st rounder, no prospects or additional picks? That's robbery!

Actually it was a 1st and a 3rd 10/10 would do that trade again. And I was one of the few here that liked it from the get go. 

8 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

It's a great feeling to know we finally have that future true elite #1 d-man, something this organization has never had.

The Canucks have had a very few elite #1 d men; unfortunately:

Ohlund dang near lost an eye

Salo    couldn't stay healthy

Jovo  wasn't around long enough

Rienhart was old, with a bad back, and wasn't around long enough

Edler, has a bad back

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

The Canucks have had a very few elite #1 d men; unfortunately:

Ohlund dang near lost an eye

Salo    couldn't stay healthy

Jovo  wasn't around long enough

Rienhart was old, with a bad back, and wasn't around long enough

Edler, has a bad bac

Edited by falcons

32 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

While I agree that Edler is crucial to our defense core he's just as guilty as anyone else for standing in a box allowing the opposition to take all day to make a play. It isn't any one individuals fault, it's the fault of the coaching staff and their methodology. The D men are just playing the style of defense they're being told to. Which is box out, clog up the lanes, block shots.  When I looked at it a couple weeks ago Edler and Tanev were like 2nd and 3rd in the league for blocked shots. That speaks volumes right there. Bottom line is that you won't see a change in the teams style of play until the coaching staff changes because they are the driver of that bus.

Regarding Bo, I don't think there was anything malicious about the play. It was coincidental contact. Apparently Bo went over to talk to the guy after and he hadn't even realized he hit him in the head. 

No need to give him the Steve Moore treatment over it!

Hmmmm, well I put it in the same category as the hits on Sven and Stecher in the past. Montour "realized" what he did! The fact that Toronto saw the need to pull Horvat from the game, in the final two minutes of a close game, after no call was made on the play, makes it even more suspicious.

Edited by johngould21
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Boeser with 2 secondary assists, but was invisible the whole game. 

It's going to be impossible to convince people that he's playing poorly when they'll just say "But look at his PointzZZzzZz!!".

I disagree. He wasn't invisible at all tonight. He wasn't in the offensive zone making many of the plays but he was pushing the play extremely well and moving his skates from the defensive zone into the offensive zone. I'm highly critical of him too, but he did a lot of the little things right and that's the reason why he got 2 secondary assists. He could be playing better but that's just on an offensive standpoint. He's been playing great lately, but he hasn't been getting the puck much. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

To be fair that happened with Edler. I really, really think it's just the coaching style. It's been that way all season to just give the opposing team free real estate to set up.

I agree but at some point that's on the player. It's not like he's a rookie looking to stick with the big club. He can play however he wants at this point. He can have absolutely horrific games and get 20 minutes a night. 

13 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Hmmmm, well I put it in the same category as the hits on Sven and Stecher in the past. Montour "realized" what he did! The fact that Toronto saw the need to pull Horvat from the game, in the final two minutes of a close game, after no call was made on the play, makes it even more suspicious.

Nah those ones were way more predatory. He was just looking to create space with his body and there was just a height mismatch.