The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 21, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I thought that Louie had a good game.  His job was to shutdown Malkin's line and he did his part.  He took one rough tumble when he dove and crashed head first into the boards.  I actually think that he might've saved us a goal there as he got his stick on Guentzel's glove and he wasn't able to lift it over Marky's pad.  Ended up being one of the saves of the night.  

I'm really happy for Jake and it's nice to hear him talk positively of his development in Utica and now with the Canucks.  Hopefully this puts to bed all the less-then-smart theories that "Green is not giving him his ice time" ... "Green is holding Jake back" ... that we've heard over the last two years. 

its often interesting to look at the post game shift chart: http://www.nhl.com/stats/shiftcharts?id=2019020563

I do think Loui had a decent game as well, you can see the match up plan with him an Malkins line for most of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It’s nice to have Marky being so sharp after literally not having any work in the first period. I loved the physical play from the team last night. Miller blew up somebody (can’t recall whom) Oscar with a solid brick wall slam on Letang and of course Jake hitting Letang which then bumped the ref into the bench. The hit to turnover to pass to Boeser to score that 4th goal was all determination by Petey, loved the death stare Brock gave Murray too. Man it’s almost too bad that we are one game away from a break. Keep it up as we are only 4 points behind the division lead. What a time to be alive.  

90FB3EFA-364A-4966-96D3-92A506D9CF58.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its often interesting to look at the post game shift chart: http://www.nhl.com/stats/shiftcharts?id=2019020563

I do think Loui had a decent game as well, you can see the match up plan with him an Malkins line for most of the game. 

Kudos on TG been brave enough to give him that match up but it makes some sense - he saw him enough in Boston ... back to the press box likely until the next time.   JV should get that spot - he's deserves it at this point.   He's also making our second PP unit that much better...in a lot of ways I prefer watching them as they shoot the puck as soon as they can and look darn dangerous out there.   So does our first unit but too many pretty plays that just run down the clock.   JV is breaking out. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Actually he only saw PP time when Trouba or Byfuglien were out and then only second line minutes...most of his points were scored even strength on the third pairing.  He's more then capable of doing it when he gets the chance though and I'm glad he's got some - 6 points on the month so far is pretty good, about where he needs to be a 35 point D.   What he's been doing in Edlers absence is a huge difference in what Stetcher was able to do in the past, or Hutton or whomever (Tanev out too).  Take on the leagues best without being a huge minus magnet. 

That makes sense, I just checked his career stats. He regularly puts up 25-30 points with out too much PP time but the years in Buffalo and WPG where he got more points it was directly related to him getting more PP time, his PP stats jump up quite considerably in some seasons. Which as you said points to him being used on the PP when injuries occur. I really did think he has always been used on the power play! I stand corrected. 

I really like how he has been looking on that second unit. I doubt he stays there when Edler comes back. But he’s in my opinion making it hard to take him out. I also like having a right shot option on the PP, it gives some different looks.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Same goes for every other player in the NHL. It bugs me when posters (not you) call some of  these guys trash, bums etc.  They are the best players in the world. 

They are amongst the best players in the world. We have a cap in place so frankly each team is not allowed to effectively have a roster of the best players in the world. 

there are world class players playing in several international leagues that simply are under contract or chose not to play in the NHL, in addition some are at a level that they are better than bottom 6 guys in the nhl but the cap won’t allow space for teams to fit them in 

the biggest issue with teams under the cap nowadays is finding price effective bottom 6 forwards or bottom 2 d men 

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kudos on TG been brave enough to give him that match up but it makes some sense - he saw him enough in Boston ... back to the press box likely until the next time.   JV should get that spot - he's deserves it at this point.   He's also making our second PP unit that much better...in a lot of ways I prefer watching them as they shoot the puck as soon as they can and look darn dangerous out there.   So does our first unit but too many pretty plays that just run down the clock.   JV is breaking out. 

I like that we can at least get this from Loui when needed, yeah its not 6 mil yada yada but if it helps put a few more W's up then yay us.

I know why people want to reward Jake with top 6 time, but man he's just learning how to be consistent with Rous and AG. I'd just like them to leave that alone for a while longer, even 20 games, just to keep this going for him. Jake seems to understand his role on that line, more than I've ever seen before. And he's one of the top points/60 players we have while only playing about 13 min's per night. Last night was ideal imo, about 3 min extra in selected spots to give him more offensive chances. 

On the other hand. we're desperate for a winger for Bo. Tough decision for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

They are amongst the best players in the world. We have a cap in place so frankly each team is not allowed to effectively have a roster of the best players in the world. 

there are world class players playing in several international leagues that simply are under contract or chose not to play in the NHL, in addition some are at a level that they are better than bottom 6 guys in the nhl but the cap won’t allow space for teams to fit them in 

the biggest issue with teams under the cap nowadays is finding price effective bottom 6 forwards or bottom 2 d men 

Fair points.  Keep in mind, it is the top league in the world.  My point was posters calling them garbage are most likely garbage players themselves if they actually play the game. 

Edited by sonoman

Okay Marky played well and the Penguins might have been a little tired but all teams have to play lengthy road trips.  The tipping feature of last nights game was the strong fore check that the Canucks put on especially in the first and third periods.  The best I have seen this season, to date.

11 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Fair points.  Keep in mind, it is the top league in the world.  My point was posters calling them garbage are most likely garbage players themselves if they actually play the game. 

i agree. criticize their play but what it took them to get to and play in the best league in the world took more sacrifice and dedication then any of us ever have. that calls for respect.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2