The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson has been playing well

Rate this topic

Bad_BOI_pete

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I have been watching loui play lately, and suprisingly has been playing well. The whole second line has been on fire since loui has been on that line (10G and 30P even strength) . Defensively he has been forechecking strongly, and creating turnover chances in our own end. Offensively he has been grinding in the corner's and battling hard and has been rewarded with 6 points in his last 10 GP.  Before loui was on that line bo and tanner only had 7p between them Even strength in their last 10 GP.

Coach green has found one of the most dominant shut down line's in the league and guess what LE is on it.

flame away hater's

Go Canucks GO!!! 

You wrote a post on the most acknowledged thing on this forum. 

Hey, guys loui has been playing well defensively, I think we all know that. It will not change Canuck fans mind cause the bigger picture here is his cap hit of 6 million, which hand cuffs the Canucks from signing a player actually worth 6 million. You know someone that will actually score 30 goals. 

Here let me inform you about something everyone but yourself doesn't know, Eriksson is a pretty good defensive player but he's not 6 million good defensive player. No one is. 30 goals a season and a good defensive player that's worth 6 million.

Just cause Eriksson plays 10 good defensive games, it will never ever make him worth another 3 years at 6 million per year. If Erikson plays the rest of his contract out playing good defensively and puts up 15 goals a season he still wouldn't be worth 6 million dollars.

Minimum he has to score 25 goals and be a good defensive player. He can score 25 goals and have no assists and play good defensively and he might be worth 6 million. I might let him off with 60 assists and 15 goals and playing defensively sound. 

So to clarify it for you and you alone,

He is not worth 6 million dollars no matter how good defensively he is and Eriksson knows how to play defense it has really never been questioned.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 6string said:

When the team is healthy he'll be in the press box and Loui understands that.

Look, I think you make some good posts and points most of the time, but how do you know with absolute certainty that Loui will be in the press box? 

I was and have been disappointed with his productivity since his signing like many, and wanted to somehow find a way to make his contract vanish. But if Bo's line is still producing with him on the line, it would be stupid for the coach to break that up just because someone is now healthy. 

And again, you, or I or anyone, can't say with absolute certainty how it's gonna be. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Look, I think you make some good posts and points most of the time, but how do you know with absolute certainty that Loui will be in the press box? 

I was and have been disappointed with his productivity since his signing like many, and wanted to somehow find a way to make his contract vanish. But if Bo's line is still producing with him on the line, it would be stupid for the coach to break that up just because someone is now healthy. 

And again, you, or I or anyone, can't say with absolute certainty how it's gonna be. 

I feel certain Green prefers a little more edge on the ice that both Ferland and Leivo bring.

Loui has had a nice run of late, nice to see him step up.

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Bo's line has been playing the major shut down role - e.g., last game against SJS that line played 13 mins against the Kane line, next closest was 3 min by Miller's line.

I don't have the other game stats at hand but its a similar story if anyone wants to go through the game logs. Its a very good shut down line that can actually score too, don't know if its "the most dominant" but its been great for us. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You wrote a post on the most acknowledged thing on this forum. 

Hey, guys loui has been playing well defensively, I think we all know that. It will not change Canuck fans mind cause the bigger picture here is his cap hit of 6 million, which hand cuffs the Canucks from signing a player actually worth 6 million. You know someone that will actually score 30 goals. 

Here let me inform you about something everyone but yourself doesn't know, Eriksson is a pretty good defensive player but he's not 6 million good defensive player. No one is. 30 goals a season and a good defensive player that's worth 6 million.

Just cause Eriksson plays 10 good defensive games, it will never ever make him worth another 3 years at 6 million per year. If Erikson plays the rest of his contract out playing good defensively and puts up 15 goals a season he still wouldn't be worth 6 million dollars.

Minimum he has to score 25 goals and be a good defensive player. He can score 25 goals and have no assists and play good defensively and he might be worth 6 million. I might let him off with 60 assists and 15 goals and playing defensively sound. 

So to clarify it for you and you alone,

He is not worth 6 million dollars no matter how good defensively he is and Eriksson knows how to play defense it has really never been questioned.

You do realize that Eriksson only score 30 goals twice in his career right?  Not trying to argue that Eriksson doesn'T have a bad contract, but right now if he can play and contribute in any way without being a liability, that's a win.  When his 6M$ is a total waste is when he's bought out, siting in the pressbox or burried in the minor.  So if he can contribute to our 2nd line and the team is winning....that's a win in my book.

And how many 30 goals season does Brock Boeser have with his 5.87M$ salary?  I guess he's another guy who's overpaid. FYI he won't be getting 60 assists either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Lowkey, Loui Eriksson would be very loved by fans if he was earning like $2-3 million or less. The guy has always been great at fore and backchecking, but just hasn't put it together much offensively in Vancouver.

I do think you could make an argument that we could have had a 35-40 pt player out of him had be been left in a top 6 role over his time here. Still not worth 6 mil but decent and not worth the endless dead horse beating that is Loui's contract discussion. 

The site Natural Stat Trick has a neat line comparison tool. You can see the impact of players on and off lines.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8477500&p2=8476871&p3=8470626&p4=0&p5=0

So for Bo's line the impact is really significant in goals for and goals against with or without Loui. Its an undeniably great fit at the moment. 

You can also swap out Loui for Leivo e.g., and can see that Leivo wasn't nearly as impactful.  

• Upvote 4