The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson has been playing well

Rate this topic

Bad_BOI_pete

we all know, louie’s contract sucks. the team knows it and louie knows it, but a contract is a contract. 

JB has tried to move louie, his agent has tried to find some other interest in him. nothing has come of that. 

none of us know what understanding  management/ownership has with louie and his agent. 

louie has been a true professional through all of the not playing and not being a negative influence on the team.

the only true skill that is working for him is his defensive game. i say cudo’s to louie for giving the game what he is able. 

everything else about the situation belongs to JB.  i’m sure if there is a way out, he’ll find it. 

let louie play and give what he can until his  contract is eliminated. that is my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Loui woke up at the right time, and I love that he's playing well and having success on Bo's line. I'm happy for him. It must've been tough for him to go to the rink every day, work hard and be blamed for making too much. Nice to see him contribute. The Canucks are fairly healthy at the AS break, (except for Leivo and Ferland), but they really haven't had Ferland's impact yet, really. I'm hoping all of the pieces fall into place the closer we get to April. Maybe a full compliment to the roster? Virtanen and Gaudette have been playing well too, just seems like a much different year than the past. With Hughes on this team, anything is possible. I want to see Loui hoist that Cup!  :) 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I have been watching loui play lately, and suprisingly has been playing well. The whole second line has been on fire since loui has been on that line (10G and 30P even strength) . Defensively he has been forechecking strongly, and creating turnover chances in our own end. Offensively he has been grinding in the corner's and battling hard and has been rewarded with 6 points in his last 10 GP.  Before loui was on that line bo and tanner only had 7p between them Even strength in their last 10 GP.

Coach green has found one of the most dominant shut down line's in the league and guess what LE is on it.

flame away hater's

Go Canucks GO!!! 

Has been a really pleasant surprise, how he's turned himself around the last 8 or 10 games. REALLY hope that he can keep it going. Seems to be finding some good chemistry with Horvat and Pearson. Maybe just needed a couple of bigger players to work with???

I agree he’s been playing better no doubt and I agree that he’s solid defensively. With that being said I think it’s a joke that a guy with 8 points with half of those being on an empty net is getting praise on our second line.  The only thing he has potentially earned is a 4th line role rather than being sent to Utica and/or being scratched. The fact that Horvat is on pace for 70 points despite of LE is amazing and Bo deserves better imo the Canucks number 1 priority should be getting Horvat a winger to replace LE.

id love a proven top6 who is on pace for 50 or more points via trade but I also think we have internal options better than Eriksson ( Leivo, Ferlund, Boucher, Baertschi) 

i know people are going to say to say Eriksson is better defensively than Boucher and Baertschi but these guys aren’t that bad and I think the extra offense they bring is worth it. A line with Bo and Pearson is going to be solid defensively no matter who the other winger is. 

But what id really like to see is:

miller Petey Virtanen 

Pearson Bo Boeser

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

motte Beagle Eriksson (replaced by Ferlund/Leivo when they return) 

if Boeser has been playing with Petey and getting more ice time than Virtanen including power play yet only has 2 more goals, there’s no doubt in my mind Virtanen would have more goals if the roles were switched. I’m not saying more assists of course (jake isn’t a setup guy) but what this accomplishes is slightly deminshing your first line but greatly enhancing your second line. All the top guys still get power play 1 ice time. The third line also would not be quite as strong offensively but Sutter’s defensive game with the ability to chip in makes the third line strong and gives the Canucks a better face-off guy. 

Edited by brian42
  • Wat 3

When he signed, he was getting $3 million for his defensive abilities plus another $3 million for offensive output. 

The problem is that there's no offense, thus he's only worth $3 million.  

Once the playoffs rolls around, I get the feeling that Eriksson will be getting tons of ice-time.  Green will be sending Horvat out to shutdown the opposition and thus LE will be playing alongside of him.  One benefit of Eriksson being scratched a lot, he's an older player and thus will be more fresh when it's April.  

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"the fact" - what fact? You say despite LE, but what stats do you have to back this up?

This season, with Loui, Bo's goals for % is 56%, vs 43% without Loui. Loui's defensive ability is giving Horvat the opportunity to have more chances and create a more dominant line. If you add in the end of last season the Pearson-Bo-Loui line has a dominant 58% GF%. 

People also don't realize that just because you're not on the scoresheet, doesn't mean you're not the reason the goal is scored.  LE has been a net presence for the goals, screening the goalie or causing a defenseman to go to him, thus creating chaos for the goal to be scored.

• Upvote 2

It's a nice story, it'd be nice to see that line sustain the success they're having. His play makes it tough to take him out of the lineup, it's strange to say but we've been better with him in it. He's contributed to our recent success. 

Gonna be some tough calls to make when we start getting bodies back, but it's nice to see things working out for him. If he wasn't making 6m a lot of people wouldn't harp on him so much but it is what it is. He's certainly not the anchor Lucic looks to be. 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a nice story, it'd be nice to see that line sustain the success they're having. His play makes it tough to take him out of the lineup, it's strange to say but we've been better with him in it. He's contributed to our recent success. 

Gonna be some tough calls to make when we start getting bodies back, but it's nice to see things working out for him. If he wasn't making 6m a lot of people wouldn't harp on him so much but it is what it is. He's certainly not the anchor Lucic looks to be. 

Or Okposo, or Backes, or Nielsen, or Ladd .... Man there were ALOT of bad deals for teams that year for free agency.

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's on pace for his usual 10 goals.

But I think our team will need more toughness and hitting in the lineup. Big Mac or Bailey could help against the heavy teams like St Louis. Especially in the playoffs. Ferland should be litr long term. 

Benning said Ferland will be back after the all star break

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"the fact" - what fact? You say despite LE, but what stats do you have to back this up?

This season, with Loui, Bo's goals for % is 56%, vs 43% without Loui. Loui's defensive ability is giving Horvat the opportunity to have more chances and create a more dominant line. If you add in the end of last season the Pearson-Bo-Loui line has a dominant 58% GF%. 

kudos for trying to explain it to him/her - I just give them the confused face and consider putting them on ignore

26 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Or Okposo, or Backes, or Nielsen, or Ladd .... Man there were ALOT of bad deals for teams that year for free agency.

Amen to that @Viper007 When it’s all said and done the 2016 off season will be a year all GM free agent shoppers wish they had stayed off their phones. So many max deals with ridiculous terms and NMC.

Thankfully Louie has played well as of late and he doesn’t have a NMC like Lucic does, but it’s the Flames that have him so good riddance.

The real Louie Louie has just stood up his game and the fans can get off his donkey for little while.

345B3F87-0A2B-481B-B454-243D7190FD8C.jpeg