The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning: Judd Brackett in negotiations for 2-year extension

Rate this topic

Where's Wellwood

On 1/29/2020 at 11:19 PM, Provost said:

Well, we can see how it turns out.  Reports say he isn’t really happy with his  role, maybe not happy that Gear got promoted to assistant GM?

Hard to turn down a contract offer, there aren’t that many front office  jobs in the league and it is risky to go out as UFA with no guarantee of a job.

For real, or "reports" as in sensationalist fans?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

I'm confused. Who's great at drafting Judd or Jim.  ??

Jim does the drafting, Judd is the guy who's in charge of the scouts, who compile the list for the Canucks to pick from.  They are both key in the drafting, but I believe JB has final say.

• Cheers 2

On 1/30/2020 at 10:58 AM, DADDYROCK said:

It is only recently that our Canucks have had some good drafting picks and skills and if Mr. Brackett has anything to do with this, please extend his contract because over the years of being a Canuck fan I have noticed that this is a definite weakness of the team.

As a matter of fact they have stunk at drafting for decades and finally we have it going our way even with the unprecedented 4 years of being shafted at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.

We have had some great drafting picks over the last couple of years and hopefully this continues.

canucks haven't been shafted at the lotto draft, odds were never in their favor.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:26 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Those idiots over there now have a new narrative:  

“The Canucks current winning streak defies all logic and they’ve been extremely lucky with injuries while riding the coattails of Jacob Markstrom.”

These HF Canuck Benning haters pride themselves on using facts and logic to argue points, and yet they fail to consider the following:

1) The Canucks haven’t gotten “lucky” with injuries.  Guys like Ferland, Sutter, and Motte have been out for large stretches this year.  Edler was also injured for a few weeks.

2) The Canucks aren’t simply “riding Markstrom.”   The Canucks have the 3rd highest 1st period goal differential in the league, and have also outscored their opponents 26-11 in the last 16 games in the 3rd period.   

Markstrom has certainly been a large part of our success, but for those morons on HF to imply that he’s been practically our only reason just stinks of bias.  

On top of all that, the Canucks are still a developing team and so who cares if we’re not dominating teams yet like we were in 2011?   Back in 2006-2007 when the Canucks were winning in less than dominating fashion, I don’t recall many “fans” complaining that we were only winning because of “x” and “y.”  Fans were just happy that the team appeared to be on the rise once again.   

The Benning bashers over at HF truly are the stupidest fans on the Internet.   And the said thing is, they aren’t even really that stupid.  Just obtuse.  Whiny.  Little bitches.

I see their point though. If we had subpar goaltending in the last stretch of games we'd have a losing record in our last 15. Our goalies have been phenomenal and most of our wins have been tight wins. We've played some good games (like the first 2 periods against St. Louis) but in large it's clear from watching the games that we are getting an extraordinary amount of good bounces lately. The hockey Gods have rewarded us with a plethora of good bounces and some great goaltending. I don't think we've been blowing teams away in our winning streak and I'm pretty sure the stats will back that up as well. Our possession numbers have not been great. Most games we play well for half of a game but it's enough to win because we've been stingy. Our play at the beginning of the year was phenomenal and our win streaks then were much more deserved in my opinion. I think our goaltending and our top line have been great, but our depth hasn't taken over any teams in our win streak in my opinion. They have the occasional good games but I'm not consistently seeing Bo's line hemming teams in like our top line, Sutter's line has been successful but again they're not dominating, and Gaudette has slowed down his goal scoring pace a lot lately as well. The team has been okay, but they're finding ways to win. Markstrom and Demko have been a huge part of that. Usually those huge win streaks are results of a full team coming together and taking over the league. I think they've been lucky to hit so many 2 point games lately myself. They could have easily been a .500 in the last month as well and I wouldn't have been surprised. 

Edited by MikeyD

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I see their point though. If we had subpar goaltending in the last stretch of games we'd have a losing record in our last 15. Our goalies have been phenomenal and most of our wins have been tight wins. We've played some good games (like the first 2 periods against St. Louis) but in large it's clear from watching the games that we are getting an extraordinary amount of good bounces lately. The hockey Gods have rewarded us with a plethora of good bounces and some great goaltending. I don't think we've been blowing teams away in our winning streak and I'm pretty sure the stats will back that up as well. Our possession numbers have not been great. Most games we play well for half of a game but it's enough to win because we've been stingy. Our play at the beginning of the year was phenomenal and our win streaks then were much more deserved in my opinion. I think our goaltending and our top line have been great, but our depth hasn't taken over any teams in our win streak in my opinion. They have the occasional good games but I'm not consistently seeing Bo's line hemming teams in like our top line, Sutter's line has been successful but again they're not dominating, and Gaudette has slowed down his scoring pace a lot lately as well. The team has been okay, but they're finding ways to win. Markstrom and Demko have been a huge part of that. Usually those huge win streaks are results of a full team coming together and taking over the league. I think they've been lucky to hit so many 2 point games lately myself. They could have easily been a .500 in the last month as well and I wouldn't have been surprised. 

Canucks: Winning games with Good Goaltending

Canuck Fans: But what if they didn't have Good Goaltending? :frantic:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deets said:

Also Canucks fans: "Our team is amazing! We're the best team in the Pacific!!!" 5 games later, "We should tank. This team sucks!" That's because the team lacks consistency, sorry for commenting on it. It's just irrational to say this team is playing as good as stats appear. We've won A LOT of games that we've been dominated in. We're finding ways to win, but it isn't anything close to pretty. And it's a forum where we discuss the team, so we're discussing the team. 

And the team is definitely a jekyll and hyde comparison, depending on whether or not the goaltending is good or bad. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Deets said:

Don’t you know teams only win championships with below average goaltending?

We’re totally setting ourselves up for failure!

Edited by DeNiro

53 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I see their point though. If we had subpar goaltending in the last stretch of games we'd have a losing record in our last 15. Our goalies have been phenomenal and most of our wins have been tight wins. We've played some good games (like the first 2 periods against St. Louis) but in large it's clear from watching the games that we are getting an extraordinary amount of good bounces lately. The hockey Gods have rewarded us with a plethora of good bounces and some great goaltending. I don't think we've been blowing teams away in our winning streak and I'm pretty sure the stats will back that up as well. Our possession numbers have not been great. Most games we play well for half of a game but it's enough to win because we've been stingy. Our play at the beginning of the year was phenomenal and our win streaks then were much more deserved in my opinion. I think our goaltending and our top line have been great, but our depth hasn't taken over any teams in our win streak in my opinion. They have the occasional good games but I'm not consistently seeing Bo's line hemming teams in like our top line, Sutter's line has been successful but again they're not dominating, and Gaudette has slowed down his goal scoring pace a lot lately as well. The team has been okay, but they're finding ways to win. Markstrom and Demko have been a huge part of that. Usually those huge win streaks are results of a full team coming together and taking over the league. I think they've been lucky to hit so many 2 point games lately myself. They could have easily been a .500 in the last month as well and I wouldn't have been surprised. 

Conditionals are pointless and stupid.   IF my aunt had nuts, she’d be my uncle.  However, she doesn’t and so it’s a pointless statement to make.   Ditto for the Canucks and their goaltending.

On top of that, the Canucks are still a work in progress (as opposed to an elite team “finished” product like the Canucks were between 2010-2013) and so it’s expected that the Canucks will have some limitations as a team.

I don’t recall any Canuck fans making “conditional” statements in 2006-2007 or 2000-2001 when the Canucks were winning games that they probably shouldn’t have.  Back then, fans were just happy that we were stealing games, and that we were trending upwards as an organization (after having experienced a stretch of dark years).

Only HF could reduce this season to goaltending.  Correction - only HF, smarmy types, and CDC's doom and gloom drama crew....

On that point - goaltenders look a lot better playing behind good teams, that don't hang them out to dry with countless grade A chances, odd man rushes, etc.

Every good team needs good goaltending.

Here are the 'facts' as I see them:

1)  The top 6 forward group is very effective, very productive - and they can convert at any time = they are not out of games in which they give up leads - they have game-breakers and balanced, complementary pieces that give them the opportunity to score at any time.   The team has effectively three scoring line options - MIller/EP, Horvat and Gaudette.

2) Their bottom six fowards are as good as any group in the NHL.  Beagle and Sutter give you two of the best shutdown centers in the game - while Horvat's line gives you a dual-duty line - that can score and play matchup.   Not only that, but three absolutely outstanding faceoff guys.   The team - when healthy - has both high end penalty killing - and lethal talent on it's powerplay. 

3)  Their forward depth is good enough - and deep enough - that they have shouldered injuries to their entire shutdown unit - Beagle, Sutter, Motte, Roussel - and key middle six guys like Ferland, Leivo - and yet are still second in the conference.

3)  The blueline is built comparably to the forward group = versatile and deep.   Edler is an absolute two-way, all situations workhorse - deserves as much credit as anyone for the fact the team leads the division, while Tanev is a high end complementary shutdown D - who has partnered Hughes exceptionally.   Hughes has brought an huge element the team lacked - a high end puck mover - while Myers has given Green an additional big, mobile two way D.  Stecher is as good most if not all the competing 5/6 D in the league - while the Fantenbery/Benn 6/7 competition has rounded out a very solid blueline.  It's absolutely no mistake that Markstrom and Demko are successful playing behing that D and two way forward group.

4) Goaltending is part of team-building - so while some smarmy types can pretend that the present success is 'luck' (most of them probably would have dumped Markstrom years ago ironically) - the fact is that Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro are a part of the team's commitment to building from the net out.

5) The team has solid prospect depth at every position and emerging near or NHL ready talent - nothing 'lucky' about it - they have drafted and developed exceptionally well - and additionally, in spite of the spin/stories of pseudo-analyticzz wannabees - the team's pro-scouting has also been excellent - from deals like JT MIller, Pearson, Sutter, Leivo, Motte - to signings like Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Myers, Fantenberg, Benn - to a very competitive AHL club that offers a range of injury callup options if needed.

Cool story - but the team's success is about quality at every position, talent, depth, hard work, good coaching - attempts to reduce it to mere luck or goaltending are the desperate ignorance of people that radically oversold Benning et al's incompetence.    Continuing to argue that is...mere projection.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sure hope that Brackett decided to stay with us for a short period.  I mean, the Canucks as a whole is not a finished product.  At the moment, Defence is the weakest sore spot with exception of Hughes.  Edler and Tanev is older and might need to replace them at some point in the future.   He deserves a promotion but not sure which position that might suit his strength at the moment other than scouting in whom he Is seeking to keep him happy..  

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Only HF could reduce this season to goaltending.  Correction - only HF, smarmy types, and CDC's doom and gloom drama crew....

On that point - goaltenders look a lot better playing behind good teams, that don't hang them out to dry with countless grade A chances, odd man rushes, etc.

Every good team needs good goaltending.

Here are the 'facts' as I see them:

1)  The top 6 forward group is very effective, very productive - and they can convert at any time = they are not out of games in which they give up leads - they have game-breakers and balanced, complementary pieces that give them the opportunity to score at any time.   The team has effectively three scoring line options - MIller/EP, Horvat and Gaudette.

2) Their bottom six fowards are as good as any group in the NHL.  Beagle and Sutter give you two of the best shutdown centers in the game - while Horvat's line gives you a dual-duty line - that can score and play matchup.   Not only that, but three absolutely outstanding faceoff guys.   The team - when healthy - has both high end penalty killing - and lethal talent on it's powerplay. 

3)  Their forward depth is good enough - and deep enough - that they have shouldered injuries to their entire shutdown unit - Beagle, Sutter, Motte, Roussel - and key middle six guys like Ferland, Leivo - and yet are still second in the conference.

3)  The blueline is built comparably to the forward group = versatile and deep.   Edler is an absolute two-way, all situations workhorse - deserves as much credit as anyone for the fact the team leads the division, while Tanev is a high end complementary shutdown D - who has partnered Hughes exceptionally.   Hughes has brought an huge element the team lacked - a high end puck mover - while Myers has given Green an additional big, mobile two way D.  Stecher is as good most if not all the competing 5/6 D in the league - while the Fantenbery/Benn 6/7 competition has rounded out a very solid blueline.  It's absolutely no mistake that Markstrom and Demko are successful playing behing that D and two way forward group.

4) Goaltending is part of team-building - so while some smarmy types can pretend that the present success is 'luck' (most of them probably would have dumped Markstrom years ago ironically) - the fact is that Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro are a part of the team's commitment to building from the net out.

5) The team has solid prospect depth at every position and emerging near or NHL ready talent - nothing 'lucky' about it - they have drafted and developed exceptionally well - and additionally, in spite of the spin/stories of pseudo-analyticzz wannabees - the team's pro-scouting has also been excellent - from deals like JT MIller, Pearson, Sutter, Leivo, Motte - to signings like Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Myers, Fantenberg, Benn - to a very competitive AHL club that offers a range of injury callup options if needed.

Cool story - but the team's success is about quality at every position, talent, depth, hard work, good coaching - attempts to reduce it to mere luck or goaltending are the desperate ignorance of people that radically oversold Benning et al's incompetence.    Continuing to argue that is...mere projection.

HF Tank Canuck nation is absolutely reeling right now.   They are praying for an injury to happen to one of Edler, Tanev, or Hughes so that the Canucks possibly freefall (which then allows them to say, “I told you so.”).   A lot of the HF crowd (ie MS, Y2K, Jack Burton) are also hiding on Reddit Canucks with their alternate handles so that they can cheer the Canucks openly without apology. JD Burke has also (unsurprisingly) been silent lately as well.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

58 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Conditionals are pointless and stupid.   IF my aunt had nuts, she’d be my uncle.  However, she doesn’t and so it’s a pointless statement to make.   Ditto for the Canucks and their goaltending.

On top of that, the Canucks are still a work in progress (as opposed to an elite team “finished” product like the Canucks were between 2010-2013) and so it’s expected that the Canucks will have some limitations as a team.

I don’t recall any Canuck fans making “conditional” statements in 2006-2007 or 2000-2001 when the Canucks were winning games that they probably shouldn’t have.  Back then, fans were just happy that we were stealing games, and that we were trending upwards as an organization (after having experienced a stretch of dark years).

Except it's not pointless at all. It's very important to make these analytical points because it has to do with trends and patterns. Looking at these stats, you can prepare yourself for expectations because often times evaluating the team in every aspect can lessen disappointment, temper expectations and also make the game predictable. And if you're in the position of say, a GM or a coach, you can use this train of thought to help the team become better. So it's not pointless, it's important. If you had the opportunity to improve the team but don't because you're currently winning (albeit in a lucky fashion), then it'd be neglectful from a GM or coaching position to improve the team to win but not from a position that requires luck, but rather skill. 

And it's not that fans aren't happy with winning, it's being a hockey fan and identifying that there's luck involved. If this team were to go to a post season right now, even though we're the number 1 team in the pacific, we'd get absolutely slaughtered. There's no way we'd make it out of round 1 with our current level of play. If we played the way we did against St. Louis in the first 2 periods consistently, then we'd make it likely past the 2nd round. The thing is though, is that this team rarely plays that style of hockey. 

Now sure, our message board posts and comments are completely irrelevant to everything, but they're also completely irrelevant all of the time regardless of whether the team wins or loses anyways so whether you're a blind homer or a hockey fan who likes to critique on the sport, in the end it's all pointless so whether a comment is positive or negative, none of it really matters anyways so your post is also pointless and stupid, is it not? 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:45 PM, naslund.is.king said:

Good thing we have terrible luck in draft lottos:wacko::lol:

True but good thing we wont be a lottery team for the next decade.

And when we were, it wasn't an issue with Benning at the helm.

He's proven time after time that he can flat out win the draft without a lottery.

Not to mention his stellar picks in the later rounds too.

41 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Except it's not pointless at all. It's very important to make these analytical points because it has to do with trends and patterns. Looking at these stats, you can prepare yourself for expectations because often times evaluating the team in every aspect can lessen disappointment, temper expectations and also make the game predictable. And if you're in the position of say, a GM or a coach, you can use this train of thought to help the team become better. So it's not pointless, it's important. If you had the opportunity to improve the team but don't because you're currently winning (albeit in a lucky fashion), then it'd be neglectful from a GM or coaching position to improve the team to win but not from a position that requires luck, but rather skill. 

And it's not that fans aren't happy with winning, it's being a hockey fan and identifying that there's luck involved. If this team were to go to a post season right now, even though we're the number 1 team in the pacific, we'd get absolutely slaughtered. There's no way we'd make it out of round 1 with our current level of play. If we played the way we did against St. Louis in the first 2 periods consistently, then we'd make it likely past the 2nd round. The thing is though, is that this team rarely plays that style of hockey. 

Now sure, our message board posts and comments are completely irrelevant to everything, but they're also completely irrelevant all of the time regardless of whether the team wins or loses anyways so whether you're a blind homer or a hockey fan who likes to critique on the sport, in the end it's all pointless so whether a comment is positive or negative, none of it really matters anyways so your post is also pointless and stupid, is it not? 

the problem, though, is that everything is fluid and interconnected.

you say that if the canucks had average or subpar goaltending, they'd be losing; I say that if the canucks were having average or subpar goaltending, the rest of the team would be focused on playing a tighter defensive game to compensate.

that's why analytics are pretty dumb. ithey forget that we're dealing with dynamic human beings and not static videogame characters. 

13 minutes ago, tas said:

the problem, though, is that everything is fluid and interconnected.

you say that if the canucks had average or subpar goaltending, they'd be losing; I say that if the canucks were having average or subpar goaltending, the rest of the team would be focused on playing a tighter defensive game to compensate.

that's why analytics are pretty dumb. ithey forget that we're dealing with dynamic human beings and not static videogame characters. 

I think that's a fair statement for sure, but I think moreso on a game to game basis that doesn't ring true. I think in a 15 game stretch you're not adjusting your play for goaltending all that much because it could be just a slump or whatnot. Adjusting strategy to a goaltender is a big change. You're adjusting your offense, your positioning in your own end, your aggressiveness as a skater, cheating in certain areas, etc. I don't think you'd make that big of a change if your goaltender was having a few off nights. That's something of a trust level which takes, in my opinion, a larger portion of a season to lose/gain. 

But I do agree with that assertion for sure. I sometimes wish our team had better coaching in that department where the system was designed to be more fluid like that but I have yet to see in the past couple seasons a team that's willing to adapt all that much to in game occurrences. I think that's the mark of an elite coaching job. Hell, that was the reason why AV got fired was because he couldn't transition his game that quickly in the post season. 

37 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think that's a fair statement for sure, but I think moreso on a game to game basis that doesn't ring true. I think in a 15 game stretch you're not adjusting your play for goaltending all that much because it could be just a slump or whatnot. Adjusting strategy to a goaltender is a big change. You're adjusting your offense, your positioning in your own end, your aggressiveness as a skater, cheating in certain areas, etc. I don't think you'd make that big of a change if your goaltender was having a few off nights. That's something of a trust level which takes, in my opinion, a larger portion of a season to lose/gain. 

But I do agree with that assertion for sure. I sometimes wish our team had better coaching in that department where the system was designed to be more fluid like that but I have yet to see in the past couple seasons a team that's willing to adapt all that much to in game occurrences. I think that's the mark of an elite coaching job. Hell, that was the reason why AV got fired was because he couldn't transition his game that quickly in the post season. 

it's not about a system though, it's about human nature. if guys feel confident that they have a brick wall behind them, they're going to feel more confident taking risks. likewise, if a goalie is looking or has been been shaky, guys will instinctively play with more caution. moreover, it's just a couple of reminders in practice, reminding guys about their details, but letting them have the freedom otherwise.

systems, analytics, blah blah blah, it's all so hugely overblown. we're talking about humans playing a game that they're the best in the world at. 

edit: the larger point I'm trying to make, though, is that analytics inherently say, "ok, if everything is the same except we change this, then THAT will happen" when in reality, there's no such thing as changing only one variable; if you change one thing, everything else changes with it. 

using analytics as a predictor of future results is foolhardy unless circumstances remain static. 

Edited by tas

4 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not about a system though, it's about human nature. if guys feel confident that they have a brick wall behind them, they're going to feel more confident taking risks. likewise, if a goalie is looking or has been been shaky, guys will instinctively play with more caution. moreover, it's just a couple of reminders in practice, reminding guys about their details, but letting them have the freedom otherwise.

systems, analytics, blah blah blah, it's all so hugely overblown. we're talking about humans playing a game that they're the best in the world at. 

I agree with that for sure.