The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Barrie is too soft for the playoffs. Stetcher has more grit. 

I think Stetcher has been playing well. Definitely seeing that gritty/angry side in the corners and infront of our own net.

Stetcher is making a good case for himself to stay in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Maginator said:

I think Stetcher has been playing well. Definitely seeing that gritty/angry side in the corners and infront of our own net.

Stetcher is making a good case for himself to stay in Vancouver.

It is hard not to cheer for Stech as he gives it every shift. I don't see him on a CUP contender so he will be gone IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

Barrie got caught up ice and turned the wrong way in offensive zone when CBJ got a turnover off Tavares and broke out on a 2 on 1 to score the OT winner last night..

Horrible play by Barrie.. CBJ scored on the 2 on 1 and won the game on that play after being down 3 - 0...

For the money he'll demand and deficiencies in his defensive game I dont think he makes much sense for us..

We'll need all the cap space we have for re signing our own UFAs. 

I see us having OJ and another rookie on the NHL club as 6th and 7th D next season. Their cheap contracts will allow cap space for Marky, Toffoli and Tanev.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Barrie got caught up ice and turned the wrong way in offensive zone when CBJ got a turnover off Tavares and broke out on a 2 on 1 to score the OT winner last night..

Horrible play by Barrie.. CBJ scored on the 2 on 1 and won the game on that play after being down 3 - 0...

For the money he'll demand and deficiencies in his defensive game I dont think he makes much sense for us..

We'll need all the cap space we have for re signing our own UFAs. 

I see us having OJ and another rookie on the NHL club as 6th and 7th D next season. Their cheap contracts will allow cap space for Marky, Toffoli and Tanev.

Hughes has changed the game entirely for the Canucks.

I would have guessed Rafferty over Stecher, but Troy has been really good this series. Guess it depends on if he’ll take less than his qualifying offer.

And don’t think they will sign Toffoli.

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Hughes has changed the game entirely for the Canucks.

And we have Rathbone on the way. So we don't really need big ticket, UFA, smallish, offensive Dman. 

Rathbone will be cheap on his ELC.. I could see him on the big club 20 or 30 games into the season if he doesn't make it out of camp.. 

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I would have guessed Rafferty over Stecher, but Troy has been really good this series. Guess it depends on if he’ll take less than his qualifying offer.

And don’t think they will sign Toffoli.

I think if Taffoli wants to re sign in Vancouver and his salary demands arent too crazy there is no way they let him walk.

A top 6 winger with Cup pedigree, two way responsible game and has instant chemistry with our 1st line.. 10 pts in 10 games...paid high price to trade for him.. I dont see how JB can let him walk..

Apparently his wife has a great job with the LA Dodgers and shes been there for almost 12 years.

So ANA or back to LA Kings are probably his first two choices. But lets see what happens.

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

And we have Rathbone on the way. So we don't really need big ticket, UFA, smallish, offensive Dman. 

Rathbone will be cheap on his ELC.. I could see him on the big club 20 or 30 games into the season if he doesn't make it out of camp.. 

I agree.

No real need for UFA Ds for a while.

Someone will have to be traded in order to sign Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I agree.

unless Pietrangelo really likes the food on Commercial Drive and wants to be in Vancouver, I don't see that we will go into the UFA D market this year in a big way. Maybe for a depth player around the 1 to 1.5 mil per year level. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I agree.

I think Ferland is done. Add 1.5 mill to Ferlands LTIR 3.5 mill and offer Toffoli 5 mill. Give or take 500k ..

I think good possibility LE retires after taking his 3 mill bonus. He's only got 5 mill left in salary next 2 seasons combined. 1 mill next season and 4 mill his last season. 

If he doesn't voluntarily retire demote him to AHL.. I think he'd rather go back to Sweden and play a year or two to end his career than ride the bus in AHL.  

Baertchi only makes 2.4 mill in salary next season. Not 3.7 mill and 4.0 mill like he made last 2 years.. there's a chance someone takes him on waivers.. he could be usefull for a low cap team in need of some skill/offense.

Maybe Canucks retain 500k... Teams will be interested in Baer at under 2 mill. That's almost half of his 3.7 mill a team would have had to pay him last season.. I think he'll be moved and his 3.4 mill cap hit ( 2.3 in AHL ) comes off the books. 

Ferland    3.5 mill LTIR

LE             6.0 mill retires

Baer         2.3 mill waivers/trade

Subtotal   11.8 mill

Plus          17.1 mill available

Total         28.9 mill.

Plenty of cap will be available to sign UFAs Marky Toffoli Tanev and RFAs Virtanen Mac Motte and Gaudette. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

I think Ferland is done. Add 1.5 mill to Ferlands LTIR 3.5 mill and offer Toffoli 5 mill. Give or take 500k ..

I think good possibility LE retires after taking his 3 mill bonus. He's only got 5 mill left in salary next 2 seasons combined. 1 mill next season and 4 mill his last season. 

If he doesn't voluntarily retire demote him to AHL.. I think he'd rather go back to Sweden and play a year or two to end his career than ride the bus in AHL.  

Baertchi only makes 2.4 mill in salary next season. Not 3.7 mill and 4.0 mill like he made last 2 years.. there's a chance someone takes him on waivers.. he could be usefull for a low cap team in need of some skill/offense.

Maybe Canucks retain 500k... Teams will be interested in Baer at under 2 mill. That's almost half of his 3.7 mill a team would have had to pay him last season.. I think he'll be moved and his 3.4 mill cap hit ( 2.3 in AHL ) comes off the books. 

Ferland    3.5 mill LTIR

LE             6.0 mill retires

Baer         2.3 mill waivers/trade

Subtotal   11.8 mill

Plus          17.1 mill available

Total         28.9 mill.

Plenty of cap will be available to sign UFAs Marky Toffoli Tanev and RFAs Virtanen Mac Motte and Gaudette. 

Loui's showing some nice usefulness in this series, so that might help to move him. I could see a retained salary deal with some prospects, or maybe (I hope) a deal that moves Demko + Loui full pop to Detroit. 

I can't see him quitting tho. He may waive his NTC to anywhere tho vs. going to Utica. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Loui's showing some nice usefulness in this series, so that might help to move him. I could see a retained salary deal with some prospects, or maybe (I hope) a deal that moves Demko + Loui full pop to Detroit. 

I can't see him quitting tho. He may waive his NTC to anywhere tho vs. going to Utica. 

He only has 1 million dollars in salary for next season. What's there to retain out of that.. league minimum is 750k..

His salary isn't the problem. His cap hit is 6 mill, that's the problem. 

If a financially struggling team wants to artificially inflate their cap he'd be perfect for them. They can reach cap floor and not have to pay that much in actual dollars..  

If he doesn't retire send him to AHL.  He wont wanna play in the minors he'll retire and go play in Sweden. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He only has 1 million dollars in salary for next season. What's there to retain out of that.. league minimum is 750k..

If a financially struggling team wants to artificially inflate their cap he'd be perfect for them. They can reach cap floor and not have to pay that much in actual dollars..  

Perfect for the sens then

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

sure but the chances of there being a real AHL season next year is slim. More likely he sits at home or keeps in shape on a bubble practice squad, and then gets a 4 million dollar paycheque in his final year. 

Edited by Robert Long

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

sure but the chances of there being a real AHL season next year is slim. More likely he sits at home or keeps in shape on a bubble practice squad, and then gets a 4 million dollar paycheque in his final year. 

Nah. He'll go back Sweden. He's been getting over paid for 4 yrs now and a 3 mill bonus already paid for next season. He knows what's right..

He's aĺready been paid 31mill out of 36 mill he would make in 6 yrs. He's averaged 7.75 mill salary for 4 yrs. He's not going to screw the Canucks. He knows this organisation has been good to him.

Naslund was still playing ok in NYR. He left 4 mill salary and retired before last year of his contract went back to Sweden. 

Swedes don't tend to be all that greedy. They're a bit different.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Nah. He'll go back Sweden. He's been getting over paid for 4 yrs now and a 3 mill bonus already paid for next season. He knows what's right..

He's aĺready been paid 31mill out of 36 mill he would make in 6 yrs. He's averaged 7.75 mill salary for 4 yrs. He's not going to screw the Canucks. He knows this organisation has been good to him.

Naslund was still playing ok in NYR. He left 4 mill salary and retired before last year of his contract went back to Sweden. 

Swedes don't tend to be all that greedy. They're a bit different.

well... I certainly hope you are right. I've never been on the Loui-hate train, I do think he brings value, but even if he scored 15-20 goals this year he'd still be the guy we'd be looking to move.