The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Mike Gillis to the Devils

Me_

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

The 20th then.

Baertschi has negative value and is a cap dump, Goldobin is a bust. So that leaves Juolevi.  Is a 21 year old D with extensive injury issues still worth a mid range 1st? I honestly don’t know. I guess it would hinge on NJ opinion of him. But I think you need to drop Goldobin out of the deal. He adds no value and he’s a pending RFA. 

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Baertschi has negative value and is a cap dump, Goldobin is a bust. So that leaves Juolevi.  Is a 21 year old D with extensive injury issues still worth a mid range 1st? I honestly don’t know. I guess it would hinge on NJ opinion of him. But I think you need to drop Goldobin out of the deal. He adds no value and he’s a pending RFA. 

Bae might have SOME value near the trade deadline next year but likely no more than a very low pick.  Juolevi is the only player that has any value but even that is limited by his injury history (guy is injured AGAIN right now).  Zero chance you get even a low first round pick for him.  He has more value to us as he is a sunk cost at this point.  We might as well see how he turns out.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, Me_ said:

No. They currently have three 1sts.

Maybe they trade one or two to other teams and keep their own high 1st pick.

Obviously this thread is basically redundant by this point but just for clarity, the point was all 3 of the players you suggested trading were 1st round picks.

None of them have (thus far) worked out as well as hoped, but it does highlight the difference between known assets and draft picks. Even if we treat Sven as a pure camp dump, the other 2 were drafted in the first round (5th and 27th OA I think) by JB. Hopefully OJ stays healthy and is given a chance next season, if so worst case scenario he'll be worth a 1st on his own.

• Cheers 1

Nobody will be laughing at this when he hires Brackett to lead his scouting team.

Gillis has said on the radio that one of his errors with the Canucks was that he didn’t overhaul his scouting department.

Edited by Provost

I think Gillis would surprise a lot of people with his know how on how to build a championship team. His lesson is probably learned... But can he draft? Because he was terrible here in that regard.

If the Canucks had prospects worth calling up in that 2010 run they would have won. But instead we had Rome and Oreskavich....

On 2/29/2020 at 10:15 PM, canuck73_3 said:

How did Luongo choke when the team scored ZERO goals. 

Exactly! The Canucks scored the lowest amount of goals that a team has ever scored in a 7 game series in NHL history... yet some people are smart enough to only blame Lou. I’m sorry but if Lou didn’t stand on his head for 3 games, Boston wins in 4.

• Cheers 1

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

I liked Gillis as the GM. I would like to see him back. 

He was terrible in the draft table, but results speak of themselves. Haters want to hate, but Gillis was in the forefront of the greatest Canuck era we've ever seen. I'll take a few Presidents trophy calibre teams over 4 Calder nominees any day of the week

• Wat 1

On 3/1/2020 at 4:48 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who was the bright guy that signed Louie E to his current contract?:P

But Benning managed to dump another useless player in Gudbranson (he was the one that gave him that dud contract as well)  *AND* get a useful player in return.  So who knows.  Maybe he can work some magic again.

I wonder why Gudbranson is so good with the Flames.

Only one goal has the oppo scored when he has played 16 games. 
Compare that with hos stint here… 35 goals against in 57 games.

If I manage to calculate right he’s only on the for 1/10 of the goals against.

3,5 goals in 57 games.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

I wonder why Gudbranson is so good with the Flames.

Only one goal has the oppo scored when he has played 16 games. 
Compare that with hos stint here… 35 goals against in 57 games.

If I manage to calculate right he’s only on the for 1/10 of the goals against.

3,5 goals in 57 games.

I'd say it has a lot to do with...coaching.

Sutter is one of the best defensively minded coaches in the game.  Look what he did with LA.  Gudbranson shines as a stay at home type.  When all he has to do is direct to the outside and protect the net.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would take Gillis as President and Gilman as GM back in a heartbeat right now.

A good part of that would be that I know he would only take the job with assurances from ownership that they won’t interfere in hockey decisions.

Then I will be highly amused by people’s heads exploding when they want to blame his last tenure instead of Benning for Benning’s lack of success.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1