The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) If we lose again do we...

Rate this topic

Gator

Poll  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that it depends on how JB and the ownership view the situation.  If the issue is that Demko has just failed to deliver on his play, something that is unexpected, then what can you do about that other than call up someone else for a trial, ride things out until Marky returns, but firing the coach doesn't fix a slumping goalie.  

The other way to look at things is a failure of the coaching staff ot adjust the team's play to protect their backup alot more than Marky.  Still even then, the goals Demko is letting in are game breakers.  Goalies who can't stop letting in bad goals don't have long careers.  

Successful organizations don't become successful by making, reactionary, knee jerk decisions.

They will review what went wrong and what went right this season and decide what's best for the organization moving forward based on actual data, objectives, context and information. Not a losing skid, not a team that was always expected to be a young, inconsistent, playoff bubble team being exactly that, or the fan base freaking out.

• Cheers 3

At the beginning of the year best case scenario is that we would be a bubble team.

We are meeting those expectations.

The young core is over performing, the vets brought in to stabilize the youth and show them away are under performing.

Seems like Green has got this team essentially where a pre-season best case scenario.

That being said if there is a cleaning out of the management and coaching at the end of the year, I prefer Gallant to Babcock.  The way he had Vegas playing especially in the first year was fantastic and fun hockey.

I feel Green deserves one more (half?) season, with a team that is improved on defence

Each night, we dress 3 of Benn, Fantenberg, Myers and Stecher. On most teams, a coach would want only 1 of those playing, 2 at most. 

Because of that weakness on D, coach has decided to try and outscore the problem. In order to do that, he needs to have 3 lines with a legit chance of scoring. That is why JV18 is often on the third line, instead of top 6 where many CDC'ers feel he should be. Roussel and (to a lesser extent) Gaudette have not been producing frequently enough for this 3 line approach to work, so he has been hoping JV can carry that line offensively. If Loui is bumped from the top 6, Jake promoted to top 6, and the top 2 lines tweaked from there, then we are not going to have much scoring from lines 3/4

JB has done a very good job at getting us some high end forward talent....now he needs to find a way to shed some deadweight and upgrade the D

16 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

At the beginning of the year best case scenario is that we would be a bubble team.

But that changed when they saw how good Quinn is. Benning made some moves to get them to the playoffs. Heck, I believe they were leading the Pacific not long ago.

This is just a typical Canucks collapse down the stretch. Green should have them more focused and hungry insead of being all nonchalant about the losses. If losses are okay, then why bother?

Don't underestimate what ownership wants.  I say personally fire Green, because he has had enough chances, and hasn't shown an ability to adapt (rather, he has shown a stubbornness on having a certain style of play with certain players), but FA pays the salaries, and I'm sure he wants that guaranteed playoff dough.  If the playoffs are slipping away as this losing streak extends a few more games, after so many years out of the playoffs, I think he will go for the chance at a coaching change bump to save the season.  I also think that the team would respond well, especially if it goes hand in hand with a returning Trymakin and a set lineup based on effort.  Can hardly be worse than what has been happening recently.       

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

But that changed when they saw how good Quinn is. Benning made some moves to get them to the playoffs. Heck, I believe they were leading the Pacific not long ago.

This is just a typical Canucks collapse down the stretch. Green should have them more focused and hungry insead of being all nonchalant about the losses. If losses are okay, then why bother?

because theres always another game

if you obsess over how devastating your losses are your occupying a lot of time and space, and effort mentally on self defeat.

a better proven strategy would be to learn from your mistakes and move on.  We have a young team that is and will go through some tough learning curves.  Were gonna have to be patient with this group moving forward.  There gonna be much better served from consistency moving forward and not from panic knee jerk  over reactions and changing systems and coaches constantly.  There is no shame in losing a game if you play the right way and give your best.  the canucks are not playing terrible hockey at all, you have to dig deep and stick to the game plan in times like this.  Panic is the last emotion we need right now 

focus and hunger are totally subjective to the observer

ask each and every canuck in the room if they think they are trying to win games right now, if they feel like they are hungry and focused...?

you will get a much different answer asking the same question of the fans right now 

Fire Benning and let his replacement decide about Green.

Maybe a new GM finishes rebuilding first. It will take a few years, all those clause contract might have to run out before a big push.

Fire Benning!!!!!! Hire an experienced GM, one that was actually successful as the top guy, not a flunky.

I understand "aim small" lose small.

Scenario not real, for demonstration purposes

The division lead? Division leader sits 24th in the league, this is good? They are the Division leader but 24th out of 31. Good or bad? 

Edited by Lazurus

I feel duped lol 

At the beginning of the season the Canucks were considered a bubble team. Benning brought in Ferland, Myers, Benn and Miller. Hughes also impressed so much that talk of the Calder was getting ramped up early in the season. He is much better than anyone expected. Markstrom has played like an MVP all season. Suddenly the Canucks are in a playoff spot and things were going well. Then Boeser and Markstrom got injured. The Canucks were so close to running away with it, and then Benning panicked. So he traded more assets for Toffoli and Domingue, and they have lost 4 in a row. Tonight they play the Avs, a tough test. Maybe they break the losing streak tonight?    

Maybe I need to chill, and maybe my expectations were too high when things were going well. Maybe they've been a bubble team all year and that's just what they are - not good enough to contend, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. 

Green takes the brunt of criticism when the team is losing and never gets credit when the team is doing well.

At the outset of the season, the goal of the organization was to play meaningful games in March.

We are playing meaningful games in March.

The expectations grew over the course of the season because the team performed beyond expectations.

Yet, Green gets no credit for helming this team into a new competitive category.

And now that we are where we should be realistically in the standings, it's time to fire Green?

He gets no credit at all for the emergence of Petey, Quinn, Brock, Bo, or JT? No player is a guarantee. Green has/is part of these players' development.

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Coaches almost always exhibit different personalities in the dressing room versus post game pressers.

Just because Green steps up to the podium and shows a lack of accountability does not in any way reflect how he handles the team off camera. How do any of us know how he's handling the team in the room?

It's not all on Green to motivate the players. The players need to do it too. And that comes with maturity. The Canucks are JUST starting to mature as a hockey team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

True, but sometimes it gets out of hand.  I feel for our intrepid mods sometimes.  

Oh jesus people that complain about complaining are the worst. Nothing that is said on the boards are

so egregious so as to warrant shutting down the boards or extra policing. Its. Just. Venting. I get it brother

but relax.

• Thanks 1

People talking about "Oh if you dont like seeing the Canucks lose stop watching." Im like "If you dont like what 

people write in post game forums after a loss STAY. OUT. THE. FORUM." The same logic applies, if you know

after a loss CDC PGT is going to be a venomus pit of spitting vipers then stay the hell out. Seriously!

• Thanks 1

Without great goaltending, there's little chance they make the playoffs. And lately, the goaltending hasn't been good. The injuries to Markstrom and Boeser hurt. Losing a star player for considerable time can really affect some teams. Didn't seem to affect PIT though, imagine losing the best player in the world (Crosby) for a long stretch, or EDM losing McDavid. Those team kept on winning though. But back to goaltending, without it, they can only do so much. Demko isn't ready to be a starter.