The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

14 hours ago, zimmy said:

So ....... I’m going to wade in here despite my growing fatigue concerning this subject.

Here goes .... is there anything in this quote/tweet that confirms that Judd didn’t also love what he saw in OJ? Is there anything in this quote that indicates the actual recommendation that Judd gave to JB that he decided to ignore? The fact the JB ignored the recommendation by his head scout in 2016, who he then listened to in the next three drafts, is somehow now evidence of a rift between the two?

Does Taj have more to offer us? More tweets to give this inane soap opera more and clearer context? I feel like I’m back in my grade six cloakroom! (Yes, dating myself, but that’s where all the dirt was handed out and received in my day, face to face!)

Words like 'confirmed' and 'proof' etc seem to mean something else in this guy's world :lol:

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Went with his recommendation ever since?

So he’s giving Brackett credit for Petey even though there’s no proof. 

Even if he was right, Brackett definitely didn’t have to recommend Hughes to him since he was already drooling over him and had him ranked top 3. He fell in their lap.

Podkolzin is the same story. No one thought he would be there and Benning jumped at the chance to take him.

I don’t know what all of these sourceless stories are alluding to, that somehow Benning is a terrible scout and Brackett is some scouting genius?

Ive never seen the media in this town pump someone’s tires so hard based off baseless speculation.

Everything that has come out feels like a HFB wet dream. No other scout in any sport comes close to this much coverage.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Everything that has come out feels like a HFB wet dream. No other scout in any sport comes close to this much coverage.

But no other scout in any other sport is as good as the Prospect Whisperer !

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The hate for Benning is weird. OK I get he's not everyone's favourite guy. Maybe you loved Linden and think Jim and Weisbrod pulled off some sort of Shakespearian backstabbing. Maybe you really hate the Juolevi pick. But even if you believe those two things, this is the most exciting Canucks team in years and its going to get better. Yes the cap crunch isn't great, but there are ways out of that too.

Not strictly true. The success Vcr enjoyed during the Gillis era will take a long time to beat. Two Presidents trophy a game seven in the SC and that was in 6 years. Every game I attended you expected to win, tickets were at a premium and they had sell outs. Apart from acquiring Utica he acquired Markstrom, Horvat and Tanev and traded for Erhoff Malhotra Hamhuis, Lapierre, Higgins. Players captured personal recognition too. It was a good time to be a Canuck fan and a lot of teams were envious of the Canucks. Gillis won the the Jim Gregory award as the best GM in the league. So although the current team has hopes and aspirations for the future, it'll be a whle before they achieve what Gillis did

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

it was on the tsn 1040 interview with burke on may 5th 

Okay so more speculation?

Benning liking a player doesn’t equate to him wanting Broberg over Podkolzin.

Like every draft I’m sure Benning had a list of 5 or 6 players they liked. Doesn’t mean anything until it comes time to select.

Also, Broberg is a good player. Probably going to be a top pairing 50 point guy. Wouldn’t have been a bad pick at 10.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay so more speculation?

Benning liking a player doesn’t equate to him wanting Broberg over Podkolzin.

Like every draft I’m  sure Benning had a list of 5 or 6 players they liked. Doesn’t mean anything until it comes time to select.

Unless Burke can qualify that claim I agree it's speculation. Often GM's do put out a rumour to disguise their own wish list. I don't doubt that Broberg will turn into a quality player but frankly Podkolzin as frequently ranked by many of the hockey guru's in the top 3 and certainly the top 5 by almost all the top hockey guru's, there was a consensus he was a top forward. 

57 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not strictly true. The success Vcr enjoyed during the Gillis era will take a long time to beat. Two Presidents trophy a game seven in the SC and that was in 6 years. Every game I attended you expected to win, tickets were at a premium and they had sell outs. Apart from acquiring Utica he acquired Markstrom, Horvat and Tanev and traded for Erhoff Malhotra Hamhuis, Lapierre, Higgins. Players captured personal recognition too. It was a good time to be a Canuck fan and a lot of teams were envious of the Canucks. Gillis won the the Jim Gregory award as the best GM in the league. So although the current team has hopes and aspirations for the future, it'll be a whle before they achieve what Gillis did

I didn't say ever, I said in years. Its not been this fun to watch since 2011/12 season imo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Confirmed Ollie was Benning guy. So he are letting a guy go who selected Petty but want to give control to guy who select that bust in 2016?

Zero goals. The same as Olli Juolevi at the NHL level. But Juolevi was Benning’s choice back in 2016 because the GM wanted a defenceman and loved what he saw from the Finn at the world juniors. He could have chosen Mikhail Sergachev or Charlie McAvoy. Benning is believed to have gone with Brackett’s first-round recommendation ever since.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-mailbag-whats-going-gm-jim-benning-judd-brackett/

IMac seems pretty clear here, doesn't hedge his bets, doesn't use the ol' "a source in the Canucks organization claims..." I am inclined to believe it. I have also read that Aquilini was enamored by the Bruins organization and he charged Benning with building a team with that style in mind, early interviews give similar indications. The Canucks were trying to build a tough, physical team in the mold of the Bruins and the Kings teams at the time. The 2011 loss stuck with us and I think we course corrected the scouting staff to target the type of players who would fit those roles. Juolevi was a top prospect at the time, many people thought that his upside was a Ryan Suter type of player. 

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why any list he had before selecting doesn’t mean much because they probably had Podkolzin ranked higher than 10 and didn’t even think he was a possibility.

Once Pod was there it was a no brainer.

I also read rumours that Benning really wanted Zegras and was even willing to trade up. That guy is looking like a stud too. But it just goes to show GMs are going to have multiple targets right up until when they pick.

I recall the Zegras rumour, JB mentioned there was a player they were looking to trade up to get and then this guy gets picked at ninth- ouch- I think he would have been a hughes/petterson type epic drop into our lap as he was ranked top 5, but Podkolzin at the beginning of the year ws ranked 3rd and only dropped because he was not playing much in the KHL, a men's league. I think Podz/Zegras/Broberg would all be good picks. I do get the sense that JB makes a big del pout of tournament viewing - Jasek/brisebois at helinka, OJ, tryamkin at WJCs, but tbh I think Judd has flourished under Benning and there has to be some credit given to Benning for that.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why any list he had before selecting doesn’t mean much because they probably had Podkolzin ranked higher than 10 and didn’t even think he was a possibility.

Once Pod was there it was a no brainer.

I also read rumours that Benning really wanted Zegras and was even willing to trade up. That guy is looking like a stud too. But it just goes to show GMs are going to have multiple targets right up until when they pick.

Zegras was a highly rated player and I believe any club would be happy to get him. He's already signed with the Ducks after only 1 year in the NCAA. One of the players I'm interested in seeing

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1