Canucks Community

Sven to Scout in Europe (Proposal)

Convince Sven to terminate by mutual consent

Then offer Sven a scouting job with the Canucks in Europe

where he is free to play, as a condition of his employment

to gauge the players he is scouting.

Hey, if Florida can hire Loui, then fair is fair

Cost of scouting contract ………………..2 years @ $1,670,000 = $3,366,666

Let Sven pick up what ever coin he can, while in the 2 years......maybe he makes another $700,000 per ?

Maybe reduce the offer? ………...

Bottom line...Sven.....scouting!

• Cheers 1

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1973995

"I don't want to be back in the minors ... It’s up to them (Canucks management) really what they’re going to do next. That’s their job and that’s what they do. I’m just going to work my ass off going forward making sure I’m ready to go to whatever camp I’m going to," Baertschi said, according to TSN 1040's Jeff Paterson.

"I have no plans of going back to Switzerland or to Europe - I think personally I can play on any team in the National Hockey League. I can do it. I can just focus on myself and making sure I’m ready for another year. I think I’ve proved to everybody that was worried before. I'm 100% healthy, my game's going well and I'm preparing for whatever is next."

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL, nice job!

But, Sven may think that is true, but honestly, no other team has made an offer, if Sven really believes this, he should be agreeable to a Mutual Termination....

Good luck Sven!

He more likely believes the Canucks can trade him.  No reason for him to give up guaranteed money.  

At the TDL Benning talked about how they'd be more opportunities to trade him at the draft.  The Canucks could end up buying him out.

That scouting contract at that salary is cap circumvention. It puts the Canucks at risk of a fine and/or losing draft picks and maybe even a cap penalty.  The NHLPA/league wouldn't allow a team to pressure a player to give up his contract. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I still maintain that he's been given the short end of the stick and firmly believe he could put up 40 points in a middle six role on almost any team in the league. His performance has never dropped from the day we acquired him. I don't believe Vancouver will ever give him another chance, so I hope he's traded to another team where he can prove himself and get a proper opportunity.

Agreed.  Sven is overpriced but he is a legit player who plays responsible D and can put up decent numbers. He has offensive vision for sure and knows where to go.

He can play up and down the line up.  He defo has years left in the league.   Better contact and he would have played in the show somewhere for sure.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, samurai said:

Agreed.  Sven is overpriced but he is a legit player who plays responsible D and can put up decent numbers. He has offensive vision for sure and knows where to go.

He can play up and down the line up.  He defo has years left in the league.   Better contact and he would have played in the show somewhere for sure.

What does all this mean and where are your sources.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let Sven pick up what ever coin he can, while in the 2 years......maybe he makes another $700,000 per ?

when this came up with Luongo, it was made clear that it had to be a "market-rate" job.  European scouts aren't making a 10th of that.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:46 PM, janisahockeynut said:

We should be able to vote a beer & a LOL emoji for this!  :lol:

On 5/21/2020 at 2:58 PM, Phil_314 said:

Good for Sven. Some resolve!

And by interviews from Johnson down in Utica? Also showed up, played hard. Was healthy again. Had a great attitude with the kids for the Comets!

No, @janisahockeynut its not likely at 26 he will retire & give up $3.6 mill in guaranteed money. Also great that he is clear he has to bust his nut, show up, re earn what he once had. Even better, he's confident he can do it.

Not his fault Benning overloaded on contracts. Presumably to ensure we had a healthy line up.  

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good for Sven. Some resolve!

And by interviews from Johnson down in Utica? Also showed up, played hard. Was healthy again. Had a great attitude with the kids for the Comets!

No, @janisahockeynut its not likely at 26 he will retire & give up $3.6 mill in guaranteed money. Also great that he is clear he has to bust his nut, show up, re earn what he once had. Even better, he's confident he can do it.

Not his fault Benning overloaded on contracts. Presumably to ensure we had a healthy line up.  

I wonder if he's fine with playing anywhere and earning his spot in the league, if he'd be down to get dealt to Jersey?  Not like he has a clause.

They don't really have any big contracts to re-sign besides Blackwood (RFA), but if he makes it in the top 6 he could pair with either Hischier/ Zajac/ Jack Hughes.

Wonder if we could deal a decent but non-top prospect to sell him off. 

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

I wonder if he's fine with playing anywhere and earning his spot in the league, if he'd be down to get dealt to Jersey?  Not like he has a clause.

They don't really have any big contracts to re-sign besides Blackwood (RFA), but if he makes it in the top 6 he could pair with either Hischier/ Zajac/ Jack Hughes.

Wonder if we could deal a decent but non-top prospect to sell him off. 

Its not my money? But I would rather buy him out. Than pay in prospects to have some one take on his contract.

My own personal view. We're more likely to see Sven back? Than Pearson or Toffoli. Its not ideal.  But you have to honor contracts; Eriksson, Baer, Roussel, Ferland, Beagle, hell add Virtanen. Because he will get a raise? I see Pearson & Toffoli even not being re-signed as more likely than buying out Baer. 

At some point we were always going to have too many bodies!

We gambled. And lost, that the cap would keep going up?

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its not my money? But I would rather buy him out. Than pay in prospects to have some one take on his contract.

My own personal view. We're more likely to see Sven back? Than Pearson or Toffoli. Its not ideal.  But you have to honor contracts; Eriksson, Baer, Roussel, Ferland, Beagle, hell add Virtanen. Because he will get a raise? I see Pearson & Toffoli even not being re-signed as more likely than buying out Baer. 

At some point we were always going to have too many bodies!

We gambled. And lost, that the cap would keep going up?

Wouldn't we just be repeating what we did with Spooner then (accumulating dead cap)?  If someone would take him outright at the expense of one of our many wingers coming up that's not really a big loss (as long as it's not one of Hoglander/ Podkolzin/ Lind or another top prospect).

I'd also frankly like to see Sven back, if only to build up his value and then decide whether we move him or Pearson.  Seeing how well Tanner played on Bo's line though (he would've been a 55 point guy!), I'm not sure I see it happening esp. if we somehow miraculously manage to retain Toffoli too (less likely of course).  You really don't just give up on that size, chemistry, two-way play and winning pedigree that Tanner brings so easily.  Worst case scenario, we'd end up going back from Bo and Tanner and Brock to just Bo carrying crappy wingers again.  Presuming what you said is the case, I could see the following and I'm not sure that's a championship winning lineup. 

Miller - Pete - Brock 
Sven - Bo - Ferland ($7 million worth of injury prone and damaged goods - Ferland's been out since November of last year)
Roussel - Gaud - Jake
Motte - Beagle - Sutter

/MacEwen    

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, mll said:

He more likely believes the Canucks can trade him.  No reason for him to give up guaranteed money.  

At the TDL Benning talked about how they'd be more opportunities to trade him at the draft.  The Canucks could end up buying him out.

That scouting contract at that salary is cap circumvention. It puts the Canucks at risk of a fine and/or losing draft picks and maybe even a cap penalty.  The NHLPA/league wouldn't allow a team to pressure a player to give up his contract. 

Buying out Baer isn't worth it.  The cap hit would be $1.7 in year 1 and $800k in year 2 as opposed to $2.3 for only 1 more year if he's buried in the minors.  Full cap hit is $3.3 and actual salary is $2.4 next year with no bonuses.

So, burying in the minors is probably their best option if they can't trade him. 

• Like 1