The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Canucks hope to re-sign Markstrom

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

The expansion draft is next summer. We have 1 year to decide between Demko or Markstrom.

Not a chance both squeak through the expansion draft.

Honestly if I'm Markstrom I am walking from Van. I sign a 5 or 6 year deal worth my full value - knowing I can become established with my family wherever it is I sign, because I wont be expansion bait.

Either that, or be guaranteed expansion protection in Van.

By all account it seems like Marky really likes it here, and maybe he would like Seattle as well for their similarities and closeness. If I was him, I would take a deal with Van if it was a price to my liking and term, and be willing to fight Demko to be the one protected, but also be willing to play for Seattle if not. 

Hear me out, what if we trade demko (I like the guy, and think he’ll be great) and a cap dump for a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. I’m saying that we resign Louis Domingue as the Canucks goaltending coach Ian Clarke was high on him, and a full off season working with him could set him up to becoming a solid back up. If anything we can make Domingue a semi more valuable asset then trade him when Mikey is able to play in the NHL. Trading Demko also would solve the expansion draft situation.

Edited by MrBusdriver

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'm sure we'll get it done. What's less certain, is what we do with Demko.

If markstrom signs a 1 year deal, we don't even have to worry about Demko. We will just protect Demko in the expansion draft and expose the other goalies. Because Markstrom will be a UFA within a few weeks of expansion draft, Seattle won't pick him. We can then resign Markstrom after the ED.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If markstrom signs a 1 year deal, we don't even have to worry about Demko. We will just protect Demko in the expansion draft and expose the other goalies. Because Markstrom will be a UFA within a few weeks of expansion draft, Seattle won't pick him. We can then resign Markstrom after the ED.

Knowing Canuck luck we'd get penalized for circumventing the expansion draft. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

mmmmm

and what is your strategy for marky should marky endure a career ending injury during his 1 year contract

(a term which only benefits the team)

29 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

that's probably the best plan, but doubtful Markstrom signs a one year deal.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's probably the best plan, but doubtful Markstrom signs a one year deal.

28 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

mmmmm

and what is your strategy for marky should marky endure a career ending injury during his 1 year contract

(a term which only benefits the team)

There wasn’t a chance before the shut down, but now it is more likely than before with the pandemic and the economy takes a hit, some UFAs are contemplating a 1 year deal to see if the market goes back up again. We will see.

28 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

There wasn’t a chance before the shut down, but now it is more likely than before with the pandemic and the economy takes a hit, some UFAs are contemplating a 1 year deal to see if the market goes back up again. We will see.

i suspect agents for these players will get a bit more creative to protect their clients, the players, then you suggest

a 1 year contract for marky makes little sense from his point of view

32 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

some will, I agree, but I'm sure Marky knows this is his peak value year and will want to make the most of it.  And, honestly, he's earned it.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Despite being 30, he has played significantly less games than most 30 year old starting goalies.  In that I think he has more of an ability to sustain his level of play despite his contact going into his mid thirties should we sign him long term. 

For most goalies I'm certain it's way more about the mileage than the years.

A guy like Kipprusoff went long because he started slow. More recently, Quick was hot out of the gate and is now... not so much. Same with Crawford. The miles on the playoff games along with being ground during the regular season just take their toll. Luongo was no exception, he was a workhorse until it just 'broke'. Marty Turco, history is just littered with 'were good, then broke' goalies.

Marky being 'slow' into it probably helped quite a bit.

49 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Never would have guessed the team was hoping to re-sign the biggest reason the team is in the playoff race. Such news, much wow.

Report: Water is essential to survival, more at 5.

• Upvote 1

Lol good report ... whats new :P

But yea dog days of pandemic anything is newsworthy.

[Report] Canucks hope to win stanley cup 5 years in a row

[Report] Florida hope games will remain without fans in attendance so they can have even playing field for once :P

I'd say 4 years 5.5 million is fair for Marky. He trusts the organization, wants to be here and sees the opportunity to win. If he wants 7x7 go to UFA  and find out but I see other factors playing a role with Marky other than $$$.  With everything else going on in the world if he was offered the contract I just said, he should be more than happy to sign it. If he went to UFA he'd maybe get an extra year and an extra million. Not to mention that spot could end up being OTT.

6 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Sign him to a 5 year deal.  $6.5M max.  In three years trade him, and start Demko.

I would not sign Markstrom to 5 yrs X 6.5 Million? There are options out there sign Veteran for 2 yrs X 4.5  Plays 40 games and Demko plays 40..

Markstrom want to play in Vancouver 3 - 4 Years X 5.5 Max or now with salary role back Maybe 1 yrs X 5.4 see how future looks?

Have to be careful signing big contract with uncertain market and times....

Think you will see players sign 1 yr deals and hope next summer looks more optimistic....

4 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'm sure we'll get it done. What's less certain, is what we do with Demko.

Well We can sign Markstrom with 10-12 team trade list? We have until next May 2021 to decide future of Demko 24..

Next May Marky will be 31 and Demko 25 ? Maybe Demko will show even more improvements and Mr.Benning will have a tough decision to make???

Demko should be worth a late 1st rounder and a top 5 prospect from another team.....Markstrom worth the same in trade due to age, late 1st rounder and prospect....