Rate this topic

2020 Selke Trophy  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Selke Trophy?

• Patrice Bergeron
    • Sean Couturier
    • Ryan O'Reilly

This poll is closed to new votes

This year's one of the few years I haven't done an in-depth look at the Selke. Bergeron is almost always one of the best, but unfortunately, this is traditionally one of the "reputation awards", where you have to be recognized by the media as a Selke candidate first before getting any serious consideration.

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure the selke is voted for every year by people who have no desire whatsoever to go back and watch hours of forwards playing defensive hockey (and who can blame them?) so they just all say, to hell with it, give it to patrice -- how wrong can we possibly be?

7 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Couturier is by far the most underpaid NHL player. He is signed for another 2 years at 4.3m. 

A lot of the fancy stat guys will tell you the most impactful defensive player in the game this year was Blake Coleman. He’s signed this year and next for only $1.8M.

29 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wow all repeats, Bergeron 9th time, O'Reilly 3rd time and Couturier 2nd time. 

Feel like it’s just a reputation thing now.

I mean Bergeron is good but with all these nominations and wins they’re basically saying he’s the best two way forward in NHL history. Which I don’t agree with.

Either way I can’t see Horvat being too far off of being a finalist if he keeps improving. Only 3 less points than Bergeron, 20 more blocked shots and almost a hundred more face off wins. I think once Bergeron retires Horvat could realistically be in that next group of favourites.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Feel like it’s just a reputation thing now.

I mean Bergeron is good but with all these nominations and wins they’re basically saying he’s the best two way forward in NHL history. Which I don’t agree with.

Either way I can’t see Horvat being too far off of being a finalist if he keeps improving. Only 3 less points than Bergeron, 20 more blocked shots and almost a hundred more face off wins. I think once Bergeron retires Horvat could realistically be in that next group of favourites.

That’s Gainey...if your so good at something you inspire a new trophy and then win it during the twilight of your career 4 consecutive times then you’d have to give it to that guy.  Plus he never was on a scoring line.   He was a 40 point player keeping 100 point players off the scoreboard.   

There are a few others like Ted Kennedy before him that would have won a lot of trophies if they existed before as well.   That said Bergeron will definitely go down as one of or the best ever I’m sure.

And yes if Horvat keeps it up he should definitely end up in the conversation as a finalist  -  the team around him also needs to get a little better as his plus minus needs to get a big bump first too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to see a strictly defensive guy get a sniff again.  The award has morphed away from what it was originally supposed to be.

I was thinking the same thing while bringing up Gainey (the guy that inspired the trophy).  Carbonneau was also like that...Tonneli was great too and scored more points but couldn’t keep Gainey from winning it - while scoring 31,38,33,47 points the first four times.    Like Sutter on steriods.   Also won a conn Smythe his defense was that good - over a murders row of possible sexy candidates... and 5 cups.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

• 1 month later...