2020 Hart Trophy  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Hart Trophy?

• Leon Draisatil
    • Nathan Mackinnon
    • Artemi Panarin

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I would have put Carlson in that nomination over Panarin I think.

Funny I would pick Panarin to win it.

Hard to argue that he wasn’t the most important player to his team.

Draisaitl has McDavid, and Mackinnon has Rantanen and Landeskog. Who does Panarin have?

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Draisaitl has McDavid, and Mackinnon has Rantanen and Landeskog. Who does Panarin have?

fair point, but you don't leave Draisaitl off after the year he had and Mac is the best player in the league I think.  I just think what Carlson did this year was the best dman performance in a very long time

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If McDavid had remained healthy all season, I would have agreed with you that Panarin wins. But when McDavid went down with injury (again) and everyone was calling that the Oilers would fall to pieces, Draisaitl put in WORK. I think Draisaitl was actually better than McDavid this year, and Draisaitl is the reason the Oilers maintained their playoff position when McDavid wasn't there. I think he wins this handily. 

I always feel bad for MacKinnon. The guy is such an incredibly consistent talent, but he always seems to just miss out on these awards. He'd be 3rd on my ballot. He should have won it last year.

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Fateless said:

If McDavid had remained healthy all season, I would have agreed with you that Panarin wins. But when McDavid went down with injury (again) and everyone was calling that the Oilers would fall to pieces, Draisaitl put in WORK. I think Draisaitl was actually better than McDavid this year, and Draisaitl is the reason the Oilers maintained their playoff position when McDavid wasn't there. I think he wins this handily. 

I always feel bad for MacKinnon. The guy is such an incredibly consistent talent, but he always seems to just miss out on these awards. He'd be 3rd on my ballot. He should have won it last year.

He probably will be 3rd in the voting but Mackinnon would be the 1st one of those 3 I would take to start up a franchise.

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Rantanen missed 27 games and both him and Landeskog are scoring < 1PPG.... Panarin has Zibanejad who is scoring at 1.31PPG.  

IMO, yes Panarin has a big impact on his team, but I think the NYR have a much better TEAM approach than Colorado or Edmonton, which rely solely on a few guys only.  Remove the 3 guys from the their respective team, I feel like Edmonton and Colorado would take a bigger fall than NYR.

I think he 100% deserves to be nominated, but I don't he's THE most important player. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Zibenijad?

Considering it's the same nominees, why is there two awards for pretty much the same thing? I know one is voted by the media and the other is voted by the players, but it doesn't seem like any other award with this circumstance. Why not have the best dman go to a media and players vote as well? I imagine the players would have a better idea on which dman they have a harder time going up against. Perhaps defensive dmen would get more respresentation than the usual media picking out the top offensive dmen.

I was on the MacKinnon train all year, but as time goes on, I'm leaning more and more to Panarin. Panarin is my pick now. 

EDIT: ehh, I'm flip flopping back to MacKinnon now.

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Considering it's the same nominees, why is there two awards for pretty much the same thing? I know one is voted by the media and the other is voted by the players, but it doesn't seem like any other award with this circumstance. Why not have the best dman go to a media and players vote as well? I imagine the players would have a better idea on which dman they have a harder time going up against. Perhaps defensive dmen would get more respresentation than the usual media picking out the top offensive dmen.

The Ted Lindsay is supposed to go to the best player whereas the Hart is supposed to go specifically the most valuable player to his respective team. They end up having similar nominees most years. Historically, I think the Hart has been wrongly awarded as simply the "NHL MVP", particularly in the last 30 years or so, but recently voters seem to have grasped it's true purpose again, as evidenced by Hall's win a few years back. 

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The Ted Lindsay is supposed to go to the best player whereas the Hart is supposed to go specifically the most valuable player to his respective team. They end up having similar nominees most years. Historically, I think the Hart has been wrongly awarded as simply the "NHL MVP", particularly in the last 30 years or so, but recently voters seem to have grasped it's true purpose again, as evidenced by Hall's win a few years back. 

I get what you're saying, but an argument that a player that has been most valuable to their team could also be the best player given that they had their incredible season while likely being a standout player on that team with less support. Also, if there is a distinguishable difference, then the voters should be the same with that in mind. One is voted by the media and the other is voted by the players and both could be interpreted to be voted for the same thing.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Zibanejad was on the shelf for about a month (which would certainly take him out of contention), but when he was in the lineup he was an absolute horse. He's a premier player in the league and will eventually wear the C for the Rangers - no questions asked. 

I took him around pick 80 in my pool this year, and immediately after the pick I told my buddies that I just got the steal of the entire draft. :lol:

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Panarin should win this easily. He is the ES point leader by a good margin. He has also didn't have the linemates the other players had. 

Crazy how good his +/- was this season (+36 and 3rd in league scoring, tied with Pastrnak), though not having seen much of him I wonder how much of that is due to his individual brilliance?