Canucks Community

WCQF: (4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

464 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2020 at 10:30 PM

25 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

OJ & Fanta  will now bE fighting for the 6th d man spot.  Benn sits as he won’t be upto speed Yet. 

This is incredibly invaluable experience for OJ ... will do wonders for his confidence after what he's been through. Can't wait to see him evolve from this.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol what for? 

I like Motte but he is not to 6

Agree.  Motte has been great at what he does but that doesn't mean he's anything like Burrows.  They're very different players so far.  Motte would have to be a legitimate scoring threat and a superpest amongst other things.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes we should never write anyone off. I like his speed and for forecheck but havent ever seen puck skills from him. Passing amd shooting and puck handling are all sub par in terms of Nhl top 6 but yeah i guess you never know... 

Well just like Burrows, not many saw people saw puck skills, but he just played a game that suited the Sedins. Motte has the same work ethic and willingness to go into the dirty areas and has good speed to get in on the forecheck. I think he's got the tools to be a good complimentary player on any line. Playing alongside Tanner and Bo might not be strictly for the offense, but just like how LE is effective with them, I think Motte has some of that acumen along with good speed to go with the line potentially. I wouldn't find it odd at all to be given a shot, but Motte's ability to play a hard shift whenever he gets it makes him an effective 4th liner as well.

Would be nice to get him signed long-ish term (say 4 years) on a relatively cheap "4th line" deal and then give him a shot up top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Good write up on the Blues web site:

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/series-preview-blues-vs-canucks/c-318380332

They fear our speed!!!!!

They should.  We can play their game better than they can play ours.  If we can dictate a speed game half the time, hit their D while we're at it, and hold our own the rest, we'll be alright.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Myers and his mean streak are key to setting the tone. Green won't be asking him to dial it down at all.

But I am sure he will, at least to the extent of cutting out the after-takedown punches.  At least 3 of Myers 19 penalties (I know it wasn't that many, just seemed so) weren't going to be called until after the takedown, when Myers punched the player, and then the ref had no choice but to call it.  Be aggressive, check and takedown, clear the crease, but don't pummel the downed player.  Take a leaf from Sutter's book .... that's how it's done

let's say, Nucks would have picked 9th if they lost to the Wild...them moving on to face the Blues will go a long way to giving our young group experience against the defending Champs...plus the 1st pick will be higher than 15th...and there's the possibility of them beating the Blues to make that 1st round pick well into the 20s...

the Wild can have the 9th pick cause we got JT Miller and are only giving up at minimum a 16th OA pick!

JT was picked 15 OA in his draft year.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

let's say, Nucks would have picked 9th if they lost to the Wild...them moving on to face the Blues will go a long way to giving our young group experience against the defending Champs...plus the 1st pick will be higher than 15th...and there's the possibility of them beating the Blues to make that 1st round pick well into the 20s...

the Wild can have the 9th pick cause we got JT Miller and are only giving up at minimum a 16th OA pick!

JT was picked 15 OA in his draft year.

this worked out better than anyone could have hoped. 

The loss of this years 1st is made a little easier in getting Hoglander in the 2nd round last year, he might even make next years roster with the looming cap crunch.