The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues game 5 | Aug. 19, 2020, 7:30pm | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

cuporbust

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

On the power play in the 1st game or two when the confidence was high he moved the puck around quickly and the open player took the shot.  We seemed to bog down the last few games looking for the perfect shot.  All 5 guys on the first power play are very talented just need to keep it simple and get pucks to the net and they will get more than their share of goals.

StL has adjusted. They are pressuring the puck carrier in our zone which as Juice mentioned on HNIC causes an early pass and makes zone entries hard. Once in the zone StL is doing a better job of getting into passing and shooting lanes and taking the bumper away. They are a smart team built for a playoff run. They have been using their size to  beat up on the Canjcks and the last two games the boys looked tired.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Sure would like to see Gaudette get some playing time over Jake right now.

Gauds was a clutch scorer doing the reg season and adds a better threat to our bottom 6 which is needed desperately.

JV hasn't really shown what he's capable of in his games played so far, maybe the pressure game is not for him.

Here's hoping he uses that speed and heavy game tonight that he was drafted for..

Maybe if he is set up to succeed we might see what we are hoping. START him in the top 6 and plop him in front of the net on our really predictable PP. His offense can't be any worse then LE's .::D

I'm already out of the Bracket Challenge lol Fricken Bruins.

Canucks could be the last Canadian team standing, so that's something. Yes, I'd really like to see Gaudette in for Jake. At least with Loui, I sense he's trying and he has a good D game. Gaudette brings an energy and if he scores, the celly is great. I'm sure if he got a shot, he'd give his all. Is Jake really that much faster than Adam? I think Gaud is pretty fast too.

• Cheers 3

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks could be the last Canadian team standing, so that's something. Yes, I'd really like to see Gaudette in for Jake. At least with Loui, I sense he's trying and he has a good D game. Gaudette brings an energy and if he scores, the celly is great. I'm sure if he got a shot, he'd give his all. Is Jake really that much faster than Adam? I think Gaud is pretty fast too.

I see where you’re coming from but you can’t throw in young buck with zero playoff experience to play out of position against a veteran defence that will crush him every time the puck goes up the right boards. If Beagle or Sutter can’t go then Gaudette fills in for one of them. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaud is inexperienced and was just learning to be a centerman in the regular season, he is not ready to have his own line in the playoffs. Maybe as a winger. Plus he is small and not very good along the boards. He's got the fight like Stech, but unfortunately that won't cut it right now we need BIG BODIES in the line up.  Sorry but Lui is washed up. The only reason he is playing is because he makes 6 million dollars. Remember he was in the press box most of the time in the regular season? Good penalty killer but not a top 6 forward. 

Jake continues to be utilized in a position that he is not made for. How the coach can't see that Lui and Jake are playing in the wrong positions is beyond me. 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Have you watched these guys play?  Benn, Fatenburg and Stetcher would also look pretty great in the AHL.   It’s a lot different in the big leagues.     We’d get owned with this lineup physically - both Benn and Fatenburg are way more aggressive and so far I’d say pretty equal on the zone exit first passes or at least close enough.   If OJ and Rafferty were better they’d be in already.   6.5 minutes of OJ was titalating for sure - watched closely every time he was on the ice...ice also seen live AHL games where he’s badly outplayed by Brisbois (should we bring him up too?).  

We’ve lost one game in OT and one game 3–1.    Hardly getting owned.  For me the bright side of all of this is the Myers haters have gone underground.   Sure maybe OJ or Rafferty could come in and have a great game - they could also get injured the first period  - contact isn’t part of their game where as it is for Benn and Fatenburg - it their play matched their size both would be 5-10 and Stecher 6’4”. 

Yeah, I watched Utica all year long. Even got to watch Fantenberg play a couple of games in Utica. Fantenberg is adequate defensively and brings some toughness, but in Utica he was alright but nothing fantastic. Benn has been awful for us pretty much all year, that’s why he was benched before he got hurt. That said, Fantenberg, at least, is adequate defensively in his own end, but like Benn he sucks at transition. Just review last night’s game and count the icings - after which the puck comes back to our end and we have to fight again to get possession. Add to that the rare occasions that they were able to get the puck out of our zone by delivering solid possession, like almost never - most times, they just delivered the puck to the Blues D for them to start with a solid possession to re-enter our zone where they would enter and have a solid shift of possession until, hopefully, Markstrom got hold of the puck to gain a line change. Next, Stetcher has been entirely out-muscled in both of the last two games, and Edler looked frustrated harried, lost and confused. At his age and mobility level, he needs help getting out of our zone.

Not every D has to depend on being physical - for instance, Hughes - he uses skill, positioning, skating, and quick stick to defend. Rafferty is that kind of player, Juolevi, now that he is healthy, is not a shrinking violet - clearly you have not watched him in Utica. After his recovery from injury he was first up on the penalty kill, and on the number one unit defensively.  

The problem for us is that in the absence of Myers, it is pretty much only Hughes and Tanev that get us out of our zone and deliver possession, and believe me, if we want to defeat the Blues, we will need possession. In addition, most D’s in the NHL in the number 7 or 8 slot are pretty much interchangeable with the top layer of the AHL, except that the up and coming players graduating from the AHL are often better than the worn out vets and never weres that occupy those spots in the NHL, they just lack experience and they won’t get that experience until some coach takes a chance on them or when injuries leave that coach with no choice. Juolevi was a number five over-all pick held up only by his injuries.  Well he’s not hurt now.  You don’t get to be that high a pick by a team as astute as Vancouver has been the past few years, without being worthy. He needs to play, and looking at the futility of watching Benn and Fantenberg ice the puck or merely dump it out for the Blues to get solid possession and drive the play back in, the time is now.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Gaud is inexperienced and was just learning to be a centerman in the regular season, he is not ready to have his own line in the playoffs. Maybe as a winger. Plus he is small and not very good along the boards. He's got the fight like Stech, but unfortunately that won't cut it right now we need BIG BODIES in the line up.  Sorry but Lui is washed up. The only reason he is playing is because he makes 6 million dollars. Remember he was in the press box most of the time in the regular season? Good penalty killer but not a top 6 forward. 

Jake continues to be utilized in a position that he is not made for. How the coach can't see that Lui and Jake are playing in the wrong positions is beyond me. 

More-so because he is one of the top PK'ers on the team and plays consistent, responsible, defence. This important facet is lost on people so often at the top level.

Regardless I am hoping to see Gawdette thrown in the mix to pump up the jam. Loui or no Loui. My preference would be for MacEwen. Edit: TO BE OUT. lol

Edited by Gawdzukes