The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues game 5 | Aug. 19, 2020, 7:30pm | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Watching back at the tape of the Blues goals this series, have come off of bad turnovers.  

1) Defense not doing a good job clearing or using the outlet pass

2) TG's system has 2 forwards leaving the zone prematurely and leaving the defense hung out to dry

3) Effort level - from everyone, not just the top guys, not just the bottom six, not just the goalie, everyone - can't have passengers 

Clean those 3 things up, we have a way better chance tonight to pull out a W.

Lets Do This Alright GIF - LetsDoThis Alright ImReady - Discover ...

Our D’s that are adept at getting out os the zone without icing the puck or giving up possession are neither of Benn nor Fantenberg, Edler is no longer that guy either - gifting passes from beside his own net to blues in the slot as if they were invisible and Stetcher is adequate, but not adept. Hughes is great at the outlet play with his wheels or the pass. Tanev is good. Myers is good (one of his strengths). And that is our problem - except for Hughes and Tanev our transition is poor. But we do have a possible solution. We have two guys that excel at precisely that - Juolevi and Rafferty. They both have the wheels and intelligence to retrieve pucks and transition back to the attack under control. Yes, in the AHL, but one of them stood out in that regard, Rafferty, and he was a high plus player. In addition, both of them have good size 6’2 195 for Rafferty, and 6’3 at least 198 for Juolevi. Against a team as big and tough as St. 

Louis, that matters. Let’s face it, Benn and Fantenberg are marginal NHLers, and Stetcher is size mismatched in this series even though he has brains and the heart of a lion. Too bad his brain and heart couldn’t be transferred into the body of Virtanen - what a player that would make! Giving Stetcher someone more mobile than Eddie and reducing his minutes would help him. Giving Eddie Rafferty would give him somebody with wheels to retrieve pucks and give us some transition in that pairing. I don’t think it is about trying to outhit the Blues, it is about getting out of our zone under control and having the threat of reaching forwards behind their D - something at which both Rafferty and Juolevi excel - that will force St Louis to worry about their pinches. And, we have to get the six million dollar man out of this game. We would still have enough forwards for PK - Beagle, Sutter, Motte, Roussel, Horvat and Miller - bring back Gaudette on the RW. Let’s out score the b/lues - at least give us a chance of secondary scoring.

for this game:

Hughes.    Tanev

Edler.         Rafferty

Juolevi.      Stetcher

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

If Travis Green moves Boeser to Bo's line, I'll have confidence in this unit. If he leaves him up with Petey and Miller I think we are gonna look like game 3 Canucks.

Winner of this game takes the series most likely. Let's see if coach is willing to adjust his team. 

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

for the first 2 games Boeser was on Petey's line and had 4 assists. maybe you are blaming the wrong player for the last 2

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Really? 

Name           Date       Goals         Assists       Points

Boeser     Aug 17         0                   0                  0

Aug 16         0                   0                  0

Petterson         17       0                    0                  0

16       1                    1                   2

Miller                17      1                    0                   1

16      1                    0                   1

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Those were games 3 and 4. The poster was talking about games 1 and 2.

we are gonna look like game 3 Canucks.

maybe you are blaming the wrong player for the last 2

Really? :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Really? 

Name           Date       Goals         Assists       Points

Boeser     Aug 17         0                   0                  0

Aug 16         0                   0                  0

Petterson         17       0                    0                  0

16       1                    1                   2

Miller                17      1                    0                   1

16      1                    0                   1

august 12 against  ST Louis 2 assists and august against ST Louis  2 assists , for Boeser i think i said the first 2 game against ST Louis, right now Boeser has 7 points, Miller has 8 points and Hughes and Petey have 9

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

august 12 against  ST Louis 2 assists and august against ST Louis  2 assists , for Boeser i think i said the first 2 game against ST Louis, right now Boeser has 7 points, Miller has 8 points and Hughes and Petey have 9

The point being that Boeser does not look good right now. In the Minnesota series he looked great , but he has reverted somewhat back to where he was having trouble like in the regular season. Injuries? Confidence? I don't know, all I know is that he is not playing like he can right now. 

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The point being that Boeser does not look good right now. In the Minnesota series he looked great , but he has reverted somewhat back to where he was having trouble like in the regular season. Injuries? Confidence? I don't know, all I know is that he is not playing like he can right now. 

the first line has faced and will face stanley cup calibre d and checking throughout the series so its not surprising we are seeing BB shut down for long stretches. EP is still producing, but the kid is on a different tier than Brock and is a franchise calibre player. To me BB looked like their best forward from training camp through most of  the series with the Wild.  His line now is facing the best of the best of the Blues' back end and he will have to learn to cope with this treatment.

that said i suspect something could be up with BB's health.  The fact that they are using him as a net front presence on the PP  is an indicator IMHO.  He would be best on one of the walls, on the side he can release the one timer....but they have him planted in front of the goalie....could it be his problematic wrist?

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

the first line has faced and will face stanley cup calibre d and checking throughout the series so its not surprising we are seeing BB shut down for long stretches. EP is still producing, but the kid is on a different tier than Brock and is a franchise calibre player. To me BB looked like their best forward from training camp through most of  the series with the Wild.  His line now is facing the best of the best of the Blues' back end and he will have to learn to cope with this treatment.

that said i suspect something could be up with BB's health.  The fact that they are using him as a net front presence on the PP  is an indicator IMHO.  He would be best on one of the walls, on the side he can release the one timer....but they have him planted in front of the goalie....could it be his problematic wrist?

I think that you are right. I have seen him play his best hockey(rookie season/Minnesota series) and variances of it in between. If he is healthy, they would looking at every opportunity for him to let that shot go. Judging how he is playing, its a re-occuring injury from before.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We need a winning streak.

Screenshot_20200819-144518_Chrome.jpg

I used to work a lot of security including field side security for the Lions and the Whitecaps. This happened to me a couple of times. Not fun to have to wrestle a naked man to the ground. Your technique has to be well executed otherwise you’re gonna have an uncomfortable experience LOL :lol:

• Haha 3