The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Permanent new NHL structure?

Rate this topic

Me_

I’m really liking the idea of a permanent restructure to how a season unravels.

(Edit 1: If there is no Covid, there is no reason for hub cities. Travel resumes as per normal.)

70 game season.

Two weeks off.

Top 4 of each conference fight for positioning within top 4.
(Edit 2: Not needed and I agree. Extra time off for top 4 seed?)

Next 8 of each Conference fight for playoff qualification in a best of 5.

(Edit 3: During the two weeks off before the playoffs qualifications start, the bottom 8 teams play each other in a mini playoffs to determine draft chancing. Bottom feeding owners still get revenue from home games, but teams still have to work for it.)

It reduces the seasonal game-load which the NHLPA has been looking at for a while, it heals the wounded for two weeks, it refocuses teams, it adds to “playoff atmosphere” revenue, and we’re seeing it unravel as we speak.

The best of five qualification series was going to be a legitimate “tuning up” round but it turned out to be pretty good playoff hockey.

Thoughts?

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

I’m really liking the idea of a permanent restructure to how a season unravels.

70 game season.

Two weeks off.

Top 4 of each conference fight for positioning within top 4.

Next 8 of each Conference fight for playoff qualification in a best of 5.

I love it.

It reduces the seasonal game-load which the NHLPA has been looking at for a while, it heals the wounded for two weeks, it refocuses teams, it adds to “playoff” season revenue, and we’re seeing it unravel as we speak.

The best of five qualification series was going to be a legitimate “tuning up” round but it turned out to be pretty good playoff hockey.

Thoughts?

i dislike this urgency format. 

Seeds 1 to 4 should not be determinate by a ultra mini championship, but from the regular season as always ; even if  i admit it worked for a disequilibrated amounts of games played by teams.

the only things i appreciate is athe comeback of better-lesser seeding. i never liked the wild card concept, and always want to go back to the old 1-8 2-7 3-6 4-5 seeding matchup. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Owners will NOT give up 6 home games. 

Especially when games have fans.

So the scenario, is preseason is 4 games. 

82 game schedule. 

Top 12 teams are locked in.

8 teams have a best of 5 round. 

Winners make the playoffs. 

Then Stanley Cup proceeds normally. 

Potential total games: 4+82+5+28 = 119 games.

Owners would love to get extra revenue, to make up for Covid.  But it would also make the season much longer. 

I just don't see it. The players would be playing up to 33 games without pay (Qualifiers + Playoffs)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Owners will NOT give up 6 home games. 

Especially when games have fans.

So the scenario, is preseason is 4 games. 

82 game schedule. 

Top 12 teams are locked in.

8 teams have a best of 5 round. 

Winners make the playoffs. 

Then Stanley Cup proceeds normally. 

Potential total games: 4+82+5+28 = 119 games.

Owners would love to get extra revenue, to make up for Covid.  But it would also make the season much longer. 

I just don't see it. The players would be playing up to 33 games without pay (Qualifiers + Playoffs)

"Poor" players being paid millions each Year, not being paid for the love of their dream of winning the Stanley Cup ;) 

Still i myself don't want a longer season, would like less games (80) and old playoff format (owners don't want more hotel, flying costs, food etc  though)

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of having to play a mini series to make the playoffs. You either make it from the season or you don't. It was a great solution for covid, but other than that it would be weird to play so many regular season games only to then play a qualifiction round. 

One idea I've always been open to is an MLB-style of regular season play, wherein teams play series of games against each other throughout the year rather than fly here, fly there, fly back over there, okay now fly here. It gives teams less travel and has the potential to create some greater rivalries. 

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not a fan of having to play a mini series to make the playoffs. You either make it from the season or you don't. It was a great solution for covid, but other than that it would be weird to play so many regular season games only to then play a qualifiction round. 

One idea I've always been open to is an MLB-style of regular season play, wherein teams play series of games against each other throughout the year rather than fly here, fly there, fly back over there, okay now fly here. It gives teams less travel and has the potential to create some greater rivalries. 

They tried that. You wound up playing your own conference mostly and never seeing 1/2 the other conference each year. It doesn't build rivalries. The playoff and regions build rivalries. How would you like not seeing Laffy in New York at the Rog each season but every 2 years? Or Leafs/Montreal only every 2 years?

I'm glad they got rid of that type of schedule. 

• Vintage 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:21 PM, The Colt 45s said:

Another playoff idea is that every team makes the playoffs.  Would lead to a better product.  We would not have five or six teams tanking for the first pick, and dare you tank and have to face the first placed team in the first round.

In this case, regular season games are going to be like exhibition games where players are just playing not to get injured.

I would much rather a structure and schedule that balances better.

In the old system when you only played one of two of the opposing conference divisions meant skewed conference standings which meant the cross conference divisional games made a big impact on whether you qualified for the post season or not which is bonkers.

(Although I miss playing the Avs as much) 

I would much rather they did away with wildcard and had the divisional level the key component and that conference only mattered for post season, 

IE - 4 teams qualify from each division and then play through and then meet the conference opponent only in the WC or WC finals and then play the opposite conference opponent in the SCF.

If you wanted to broaden the qualification and have a play in round I wouldn’t be against 1&2 getting automatic and 3-6 having to play against each other to face them.

benefit is that you might got her as much tanking, however 6 from 8 In a division playing some part in the post season is a lot