The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I keep thinking,

What kind of parents let their 17 yr old own a rifle and travel overnight with it to a protest? I know 17 isn't that young but its not that old either. I think he lived at home? and by the looks of it has enough money. Did his parents even have clue? I haven't read much on it..

Probably the kind of parents that own guns and would do the same.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The postponement has worked as intended an gotten people talking about it.  If nothing else, I now know which posters are ok with racism.  We've even seen Horvat called out for his comments.

The team decided, as a group, that this is the right thing to do.  By all counts, this group is very involved in the community and is a huge positive influence, dating back to the days of Quinn. If anyone honestly doesn't want to support the team after this, Seattle is getting a franchise soon.

shhh, no one tell the racists here what been going on there....

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, mayor MCcheese said:

Yes, most do. Most cops are great. By why risk it? What’s to be gained? If the cop has already decided to arrest you, giving them attitude and resisting isn’t going to accomplish  anything other than put yourself and the cop in danger. I’m just saying you can’t put all the blame on the cops. Why can’t we have a discussion about proper behaviour when interacting with the cops?

I agree most cops are good. The trouble is in many parts of the US many of them aren't. Too many of them cross the line when interacting with people of colour. They are influenced by their biases and prejudice towards them. Cops in some places in the US are not highly educated. This contributes to their attitude towards people of colour. Some solutions to the problems of police brutality and racist behaviour are to require higher education and careful vetting of recruits. Also severe consequences for repeat offenders who have abused their authority.

Yes, people should be cooperative when interacting with the police. But how about when the cop is unjustified in confronting a citizen? I have seen a video recently of a cop in the US approaching a black man picking up garbage with a stick outside his own apartment building. He was questioned if he lived there and he said yes. When he was asked for ID to prove it he said he didn't have it on him. He offered to take the cop to his suite but the cop wouldn't do it. The cop told him to drop his 'weapon' and go with him. By now the man got agitated and walked away, refusing to cooperate. He kept insisting he did nothing wrong and didn't have to comply. Luckily the situation was resolved when the building manager came and vouched forvthe man. The cop ended up being fired after the complaint filed against him.

There are countless stories like this that weren't captured on tape of cops that abused their authority. Black Americans particularly do not trust their police and hesitate to comply to orders by cops who ask for their ID for no reason. So I think there are situations when people have a right not to cooperate with the police. Not all the responsibility lies with the citizen in their interaction with police.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I keep thinking,

What kind of parents let their 17 yr old own a rifle and travel overnight with it to a protest? I know 17 isn't that young but its not that old either. I think he lived at home? and by the looks of it has enough money. Did his parents even have clue? I haven't read much on it..

He better bulk up before getting to prison if you know what I mean.  No easy summer camp in US prisons.  It’s real hard time.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

An update in the schedule. And if this goes to 6 and 7 games the games will be on Thursday and Friday

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1299345999715094530?s=20

Looks like we all posted the schedule out at once. Gotta love this board for how quick we are:lol:

Wonder why Islanders/Philly gets that extra day of rest where we have two back to backs coming up. Wouldn’t the league like having two and two games per day? Either finish it all by next Friday or give us the Saturday with the Philly/Islanders game.

Edited by EP Phone Home

Morning fellow Canucks fans. Just wanted to say, one can support black lives, and not support BLM inc at the same time. And not be a racist. They are two very different things. Anyways, can’t wait till Saturday! As others have pointed out the added rest is going to be huge for our guys. I expect it to be a one goal game. 

Edit: 2 back to backs for a possible number of 5 games is ridiculous. 5 hockey games in 7 days... 

Edited by You Mad Bro?

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not sure why we didn't follow Phi/NYI scheduling?  Rather than two back to backs?  Would give us two games on Saturday rather than just one.

It seems silly to me the way they schedule everything. Maybe there's an underlying reason, but wouldn't it have made more sense for them to have just done 2 games per day from the get go of the semi finals? No back to backs, everyone just plays every other day. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Morning fellow Canucks fans. Just wanted to say, one can support black lives, and not support BLM inc at the same time. And not be a racist. They are two very different things. Anyways, can’t wait till Saturday! As others have pointed out the added rest is going to be huge for our guys. I expect it to be a one goal game. 

Edit: 2 back to backs for a possible number of 5 games is ridiculous. 5 hockey games in 7 days... 

The postponement was the players decision, they knew and accepted what that means.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not sure why we didn't follow Phi/NYI scheduling?  Rather than two back to backs?  Would give us two games on Saturday rather than just one.

Sounds good. I'm not going out of my way to watch though. If I got nothing else to do, I'll tune in.

58 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

shhh, no one tell the racists here what been going on there....

The whole point is to have a discussion on the matter to raise awareness.

Pretty hard to have a discussion when people resort to name calling,

I think we should be fair here and hear what people are saying without having to brand them as racist or villains if they do not have the same view pint as you . If you want some one to come around and see you point of view you will not get it this way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Battlemonger said:

Sounds good. I'm not going out of my way to watch though. If I got nothing else to do, I'll tune in.

Which is the opposite to me....life shuts down because:  hockey.  I schedule my life around this schedule.

Feels like AGGGGES since we had a game.  lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I think we should be fair here and hear what people are saying without having to brand them as racist or villains if they do not have the same view pint as you . If you want some one to come around and see you point of view you will not get it this way.

Raise awareness? Man, its only been on the front pages for years now. People are aware. LOL

2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

I maybe inferring incorrectly, but as a Canadian who’s at least 3 generations on all sides including 1/8 Cree, I take offense to the thought that we are bystanders who are being affected by this. I don’t disagree that Canada has its own history to reconcile with, but to assume we are anywhere near as bad as the US is grandstanding bs. I have my own history with being belittled and my own grievances with being ignored, some people on here will know what I mean. I would still rather be a proud flag waving Canadian even in Sweden than anything else. 

As for the stoppage itself, if the players agree to it, who am I to question it? More power to them.

One thing I want to add to this, sorry to quote myself, don’t want it to be lost to the back pages. If Matt Dumba thinks it’s only appropriate to kneel for the American anthem but not the Canadian. I think it says a lot about how we are as a nation.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29756099/inside-nhl-decision-postpone-two-days-playoff-games

Here's a pretty good summary of events (and video).

After players fully digested the landscape, several reached out to members of the HDA for guidance. Flyers players Scott Laughton and James van Riemsdyk, for example, reached out to Stewart, who was their teammate earlier this season before finishing the campaign in the AHL. Several players reached out to Kane and Dumba, as both were vocal on the NHL's inaction on Wednesday night. Largely the players in the bubble asked the HDA members for guidance. What do you think we should do? What is appropriate?

Those conversations spilled over to Thursday morning. The Vancouver Canucks' leaders met and decided they wanted to have a conversation with the Vegas Golden Knights, their semifinal opponents, and specifically enforcer Ryan Reaves, one of the few Black players still competing in the playoffs, who earlier in the postseason had taken a knee during the national anthems in a display against racism.

"We talked about it in the room this morning. We realize the impact it's having on the world and in the sports community, seeing what was going on in basketball and the MLB. We wanted to go over and talk to Ryan and Vegas. We just all thought it was the best course of action," Canucks center Bo Horvat said. "We have to come together. This stuff can't stand. We need to educate ourselves and understand what's going on in the world. There needs to be change. Us, being all together here as one, shows strength in the hockey community and in the world."

There was no love lost between the Canucks and Reaves in this series -- he had even taunted one of their teammates with chicken noises from the bench in Game 1 -- but coach Travis Green said that was all put aside for the greater cause.

"There's sports, and then there are things that are bigger than sports. I wasn't surprised at all this morning when I spoke to our players and they wanted to talk to Ryan. I felt like that was the right thing to do," Green said. "They're teammates within the league. A lot of times they play on different teams, they go out on the ice and they compete hard against each other, but they're family."

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

maybe read through this thread on some of the absolute horrible, fake woke and privileged takes on a human rights matter that the majority of us will not understand. but for most of the people commenting in this thread, there's that "BUT" sitting in the back of your mind, and that is still the problem

if you don't get it, educate yourselves. you're sure as hell not gonna find it here