The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Can I start drinking yet?

LOL...I just checked the time before coming here.

It may or may not be for the same reason....

Decided I'll have some lunch, do a quick work out then it's GO TIME.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Wow is that actually true? That's stepping across a pretty dangerous line when you are giving the power over definitions to these.. 'mobs' (for lack of a better term). There's alot to say about this, but you detailed in your post the problems with this whole thing very well so I won't regurgitate it.

I said in another thread I thought raising children was the most important thing in society, but after thinking about it more - I think the most important thing in society is definitions. And it's a big problem I have with this thing. Not only the potential of definitions changing in the wider scope. But also the narrative/conversation happening right now. That is; alot of this 'support' (for the sentiment), while absolutely the correct thing, is followed by very vague comments/statements.

It's time to get down to the brass tax & I think this is what people like Anson Carter & others in the HDA are saying aswell. 

There better not be a brass tax, it's one of my favourite metals.

Dictionaries are meant to show how language is used not be prescriptive. At least that's how UK dictionaries work anyway. I can't read the article cos it's blocked here but changing definitions over time isn't anything new. For example my dictionary no longer defines Oats as "'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people".

Edited by Biff Tannen
typo
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

So what you're saying is all we have to do to get rid of Eriksson is to fire him?  You're hired.

No you need to have a reason to fire someone. But that doesn't mean they can't be fired I can think of 3 player who have been fired off the top of my head.

18 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Pettersson is insane.. good thing about this couple days off is it probably plays in our favour. Canucks are always hot out the gate. 

close to 4 Ppg players in the playoff is pretty damn good

Goaltending is a concern though.

I think they'll crunch the remaining 5 games in 7 nights. Yikes 

Advantage Vegas and their 2 stud goalies.

4 hours ago, cory40 said:

This has me ripped 5 in 7. How the nhl cant afford 1 extra day. Sure puts pressure on Markstrom. I hope he stands on his head and sends Vegas home. 

You wanna get even more ripped? It's cause the NHL already has next round's TV contracts set in stone. That's the only reason for the compression.

9 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Goaltending is a concern though.

I think they'll crunch the remaining 5 games in 7 nights. Yikes 

Advantage Vegas and their 2 stud goalies.

Their one stud goalie wasn't great last game.  We tend to always over rate their players as infallible.  We have our own stud in net and I'm confident in him.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You wanna get even more ripped? It's cause the NHL already has next round's TV contracts set in stone. That's the only reason for the compression.

That and the players have had to leave their families for what they were told was a max of 70d. They just added two so gotta make them up somewhere. 

I am already drinking but am three hours ahead and have swam in a lake, packed a car, drove five hours, unloaded a car, showered shaved and started laundry. I may not make it to the game much less through. 
Two weeks in Muskoka though, well worth it. 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Their one stud goalie wasn't great last game.  We tend to always over rate their players as infallible.  We have our own stud in net and I'm confident in him.

If we get up in the series, may be a chance to get Thatcher in 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

No, I think it's actually to get out of the bubble clean of Covid as soon as possible. They will take all the revenue they can get in the mean time.

Why would they have TV contracts set in stone when Covid would make it difficult to even produce new shows? They always make time for hockey. Are they actually going to come out with the regular fall line-up for television shows?

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There better not be a brass tax, it's one of my favourite metals.

Dictionaries are meant to show how language is used not be prescriptive. At least that's how UK dictionaries work anyway. I can't read the article cos it's blocked here but changing definitions over time isn't anything new. For example my dictionary no longer defines Oats as "'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people".

Fair enough. My comment was lazy.  I guess my concern is more bigger picture & the power behind definition rather than just a dictionary tweaking things. But then again there's a whole legal aspect that critiquing a dictionary like I did neglects.

It seems like a certain 'woke' way of thinking, as the poster alluded to, is gaining more influence. And that's where I'm coming from, whether I expressed that well.

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What are you talking about?  Did you read the article?

A college graduate engaged in a reasonable discussion with MW.

"I think we can express this more clearly to bring the idea of an asymmetrical power structure into the language of this definition, but it's there," Sokolowski said.

He said that dictionary definitions have traditionally been short, because they had to fit so many words into their print editions. That's no longer the case since so many people use the dictionary online.

Sokolowski said they update the dictionary two or three times a year to keep it as up-to-date as possible. He said the new language will probably be ready for the next update.

"The mission for [Noah] Webster himself, you know, back in his first dictionary in 1806, was to essentially present the current active vocabulary of American English and that's still our mission today," Sokolowski said.

No I haven't had a chance to go through it as I'm at work at the moment.

Thanks for that, should've read it first. Read above.