The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

They aren't moving him for cap reasons. They are moving him for $$$ reasons. That is a huge difference. 

You are absolutely correct in this. If you look at their other contracts on CapFriendly, this is one of the only "Significant" ones that's actually moveable.

With that in mind, it might make more sense for them to take back a guy like LE, than it would to take Sutter. They badly need to reduce money spent. Taking on someone who can fill out a uniform for 2 years at 2.5 million average cost while taking up 6 million in cap space, might actually work for them. Ask them to take LE and Benn as part of the deal, could even retain 1 million on Benn as its next season that we will need a big boost in cap space.

• Cheers 2

On 10/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Are you not thinking at all?

petey and Hughes deal will not have a problem with signing them to $10-$11 million dollar a year deals and still fit them under the cap as Vancouver has a lot of money coming off the books in 2 years which is right when Hughes and Peter’s deals will kick in. The cap for Vancouver will start being mostly payed to the top 6 forwards and top 2 defenseman instead of the bottom 9 with their young players like Lind and Lockwood and Hoglander and Podkolzn coming in cheaper. The hardest will be Boeser as I think he gets traded before his next deal as the $7 million gualifying is real high. 
if OEL is not playing up to even a #4 defenseman in 5 years down the line then the Canucks buy him out, it’s that easy, if he helps the Canucks get past the second round and later in the next few years it is worth it.

I don’t understand why people care so much about cap space when the Canucks are going to have a lot of room and that is including Loungo’s cap capture penalty.

10-11 million dollar contracts are the Toronto model. We see where that is taking them. If you look at the past 10 

years Stanley Cup winners there are VERY FEW contracts in that range. Hughes I would MAYBE pay 8-10 million.

Still want to see more from Pettersson but I see him 6-8 million. Dont just go throwing around the 10-11 million number. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

He will NOT average that in his tenure as a Canuck in my opinion and that is what matters...What a player does for your team once he signs here not what he did in his past years...

Do you want to say LE is a top 6 player because his career ppg is .61 yet as a canuck his ppg is .36?

Congratulations in changing your entire argument after I made you look silly. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's laughable how people seem to think that somehow scoring is a "zero sum" game - where being "stuck behind" a teammate somehow results in less scoring opportunities.

If anything, it should open up scoring opportunities, because instead of being expected to be the top point-getter on the blue line, you're now free to go at it because everyone else is focussing on the player you're "stuck behind".

Whoever that "analyst" was that gave that "analysis" really should check their premises before putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

Nvm that there a solid chance they'd be in the same pairing...

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Dreger is reporting the trade, says it's pending

Eriksson, Virtanen, Juolevi and 1st (21)

OEL

* can't verify if true though, could be fake news

That would be awful IMO.

Needs to be someone other than Juolevi. That kid is our next Edler. I'd be sad to see him go.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My preferred cap dumps in this deal would be:

Eriksson (50% retained) = $3m cap to ARI

Ferland = $3.5m cap to ARI

The reason is that Ferland's contract is for three more seasons. Loui's is only 2 seasons and he will likely be bought out after one more.

VAN also must add in a cheap roster player to replace OEL = Benn

Finally, actual assets paid to ARI = try to minimise these, but a 2021 1st round pick is my top offer.

To VAN: OEL

To ARI: Eriksson (50%) + Ferland + Benn + 2021 1st

This costs ARI $2.1m in actual salary next season ($0.5m LE + $1.6m Benn) and fills two roster spots. In 2021/22 the Benn contract ends, and LE can be bought out costing ARI only $1m and $0.5m over the following two years. Ferland likely goes onto LTIR and his contract is insured, so costs ARI no actual cash.

VAN have cleared $9.5m in cap space. OEL brings in $8.25m, so leaves $1.25m in cap space after the trade is completed.

Now that OEL has set Friday at noon as his cut off to be traded, I think this favours the Canucks. Arizona badly needs to move out the money, so much so they approached OEL and he then gave ARI mgmt us and the Bruins as destinations. I don't think we need to send them a 1st round pick for OEL. We have the power and need to let our He man run wild!

image.jpeg.8aabe55c1f1e379992f41f2ffb9d6068.jpeg

It will be interesting to see if this deal actually happens and what exactly we send the other way. *Demko should also be off the table along with a 1st. Time to play hardball.

25 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

This costs ARI $2.1m in actual salary next season ($0.5m LE + $1.6m Benn) and fills two roster spots. In 2021/22 the Benn contract ends, and LE can be bought out costing ARI only $1m and $0.5m over the following two years. Ferland likely goes onto LTIR and his contract is insured, so costs ARI no actual cash.

LE is only .5m? Thought it was 3m and 1m or something.

Your adds make sense from our perspective. Given our leverage, is there no way to get this done without that 1st? I'd be happy to provide any prospects not named Hoglander or Podkolzin in return...

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

LE is only .5m? Thought it was 3m and 1m or something.

Your adds make sense from our perspective. Given our leverage, is there no way to get this done without that 1st? I'd be happy to provide any prospects not named Hoglander or Podkolzin in return...

LE is owed the following:

2020/21 = $3m bonus (already paid by VAN) + $1m salary

2021/22 = $1m bonus + $3m salary

If VAN is retaining 50% (my proposal) then in 2020/21 he will only cost his new club 50% of $1m salary = $0.5m 

His new club could keep him on for 2021/22 and pay him $2m (50% of his $4m owed), or the new club could buy him out before the 2021/22 season. If so, his actual earnings would be:

2021/22 = $2m

2022/23 = $1m

Again at 50% retained, this comes to $1m + $0.5m in those years for his new club.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm going to say Boston will probably end up with OEL or OEL not traded at all. Markstrom Toffoli will all end up hitting free agency and we easily get outbidded. We'll enter 2020-21 season with an inferior lineup than this year since we are just gonna plug all those holes with rookies. that's just a very Canucks way of doing things. i mean if toffoli and Markstrom were to re-sign.. they prolly do it by now.. and not wait till 24hrs before free agency to get the final offer.. i mean might as well hit free agency at that point and see what other teams would offer. so wouldn't surprise me we go into next year minus Markstrom Tanev Toffoli and there's not much in terms of free agency to replace unless you want to overpay for like a hoffman and such and we'll still end up with Loui on our cap lol

Imagine being this negative in life...  sad.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Again at 50% retained, this comes to $1m + $0.5m in those years for his new club.

Right. Retention. Thx.

Due to the actual money involved (or lack of), Arizona doesn't actually gain the full value of retention because they aren't gonna care about the actual cap. I know they want to shed actual paid salary, but it's pretty darn low in the first place. And if they choose to play Loui (I imagine they would on a rebuilding team) they don't have to pay another 4th line plug,  saving them nearly a million right there.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Right. Retention. Thx.

Due to the actual money involved (or lack of), Arizona doesn't actually gain the full value of retention because they aren't gonna care about the actual cap. I know they want to shed actual paid salary, but it's pretty darn low in the first place. And if they choose to play Loui (I imagine they would on a rebuilding team) they don't have to pay another 4th line plug,  saving them nearly a million right there.

Yes totally correct.

The retention on LE was just my idea -as I'd rather ARI takes Ferland + LE (50%), than LE with no retention.

Arizona needs to just suck it up and trade OEL even if the deal is not "as expected"...bruh you gonna give if your owner cannot pay OEL, stop expecting 1st round picks. They're lucky we are even "negotiating" with them...I'd say screw it and give them tomorrow as the deadline. They can stick with OEL and pay him, or get a worse deal from BOS with us out. 

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes totally correct.

The retention on LE was just my idea -as I'd rather ARI takes Ferland + LE (50%), than LE with no retention.

Ferland is not getting traded. He has a NMC and his agent has said he intends to continue playing. He isn't going to waive it.

• Cheers 1