The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

deja vu...people were saying the same thing about LE when he was signed....a 30 goal scorer blah, blah, blah....and not seeing how the contract will run its course.

do not touch the OEL contract with a 10 foot pole ....stay away from it, please JB, I ask this one thing from you.

Edited by Pete M
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

deja vu...people were saying the same thing about LE when he was signed....a 30 goal scorer blah, blah, blah....and not seeing how the contract will run its course.

do not touch the OEL contract with a 10 foot pole ....stay away from it, please JB, I ask this one thing from you.

I don't like his term and salary, but I definitely can see why you'd be scared off by this situation

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't like his term and salary, but I definitely can see why you'd be scared off by this situation

Yeah, I am not saying he is a bad player now, but the contract....how did Luo put it?....oh yeah, "my contract sucks". Look what it is doing to our team now. No more bad contracts. OEL's contract is a bad contract.

Edited by Pete M
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Good question. Possibly the Canucks. While they could use a defenseman of OEL's caliber, the contract could be a huge burden.

True, but having top tier players, particularly defence, is a nice problem to have. 

I suspect AZ's GM is not going to make a trade that doesn't have a splashy return. But he's also created a problem for his team if he doesn't move OEL. Nice way to poop the bed as a new GM :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good question. Possibly the Canucks. While they could use a defenseman of OEL's caliber, the contract could be a huge burden.

Could also be possible that Arizona is hesitant on this offer because there's $1-2m retained in the proposal...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

True, but having top tier players, particularly defence, is a nice problem to have. 

I suspect AZ's GM is not going to make a trade that doesn't have a splashy return. But he's also created a problem for his team if he doesn't move OEL. Nice way to poop the bed as a new GM :lol:

He is on the cusp of exiting his prime though. 

OEL's demands have handcuffed Armstrong for sure, which works in Vancouver's favor. That being said, Armstrong would be wise to accept Sutter and Eriksson and begin the rebuild in the desert with strong veteran leadership. 

5 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Could also be possible that Arizona is hesitant on this offer because there's $1-2m retained in the proposal...

For sure. OEL has made it difficult for them. Oh well, sucks to be them.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He is on the cusp of exiting his prime though. 

OEL's demands have handcuffed Armstrong for sure, which works in Vancouver's favor. That being said, Armstrong would be wise to accept Sutter and Eriksson and begin the rebuild in the desert with strong veteran leadership. 

OEL's cusp might be a 12-15 goal 2 way dman tho for the next 3-4 years. 

Who knows what Jims offer was, we may never find out, but at this point they can't rebuild without moving OEL. If Benning has included a conditional 1st for next year AZs dumb for not jumping on that imo.

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

OEL's cusp might be a 12-15 goal 2 way dman tho for the next 3-4 years. 

This.

He's not, not going to be a top 4 D for the length of the contract barring some as yet to occur injury etc (in which case he goes on LTIR/retires).

It may not be a 'great' contract the last two'ish years but it's hardly doomed to be 'bad'. And the next 5 years look like they'd be awful damn good.

It would also give us solid leverage on not overpaying Edler on his pre-retirement extension. 

Again, if we can buy low on OEL, this nice is a no brainer.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

If anything, I'm on record for saying to not touch this contract because it will end up like an LE contract and hamstring (cripple) this team for a few years, just like what is happening with LE. Please do not cripple this team, period.

If he cripples us in his mid -late 30's the way Chara has "crippled" Boston, or (for those of us old enough to remember) Chelios "crippled" Detroit, I'll be happy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. OEL has made it difficult for them. Oh well, sucks to be them.

Arizona deserves no  better.  OEL just committed to them long term and they turn around and basically say he is  not part of their future.  His position  is understandable and justified.  The recent comments by the new  ceo also make it virtually impossible for OEL to stay there.  Armstrong needs to take his losses and move on. 

• Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This.

He's not, not going to be a top 4 D for the length of the contract barring some as yet to occur injury etc (in which case he goes on LTIR/retires).

It may not be a 'great' contract the last two'ish years but it's hardly doomed to be 'bad'. And the next 5 years look like they'd be awful damn good.

It would also give us solid leverage on not overpaying Edler on his pre-retirement extension. 

Again, if we can buy low on OEL, this nice is a no brainer.

Hmmm, Youre right... Norris caliber Captain defencemen suck after thirty.  We should settle for Webber, or Chara, or Bouwmeester, or Hedman, or Lidstrom, or Neidermeyer or......  Have I made my point?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1