The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ideally he'd be here 6 years and we'd buy him out the 7th and save 4M in cap.

5-6 years is enough time to draft/develop another solid defenseman and by that same time stretch, 5-6 years, their ELC should be ending. If we plan properly bridge deals for Hog/Pod/Lind/etc would be ending when OEL's time here is over.

So in terms of long term vision it can work. We just need to figure out Petey/Hughes because even if we sign them to 3 year bridge deals we will have to figure their long term deals out during the time we have OEL. You just have to be very cautious in FA over this time.

Benning being very cautious in free agency? Uhmmm...I wouldn't hold my breath. LOL

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if this idea would work. How about a deal where Ericksson for OEL with cap retained on both sides? 

Eriksson $3M retained plus ?? for OEL $2M retained

I suppose they need the cap space, probably won't work. At 5.5 to 6.5M, that contract doesn't look so bad.

6 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if this idea would work. How about a deal where Ericksson for OEL with cap retained on both sides? 

Eriksson $3M retained plus ?? for OEL $2M retained

I suppose they need the cap space, probably won't work. At 5.5 to 6.5M, that contract doesn't look so bad.

The only reason OEL is in play is because ARI need to shed payroll.  If they retain salary it essentially means they have to pay $$ for nothing at all which is the last thing they want.  By taking Erikksson, they can increase salary cap without paying much in payroll.  They do not need  to worry about salary cap

Edited by danaimo

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ideally he'd be here 6 years and we'd buy him out the 7th and save 4M in cap.

5-6 years is enough time to draft/develop another solid defenseman and by that same time stretch, 5-6 years, their ELC should be ending. If we plan properly bridge deals for Hog/Pod/Lind/etc would be ending when OEL's time here is over.

So in terms of long term vision it can work. We just need to figure out Petey/Hughes because even if we sign them to 3 year bridge deals we will have to figure their long term deals out during the time we have OEL. You just have to be very cautious in FA over this time.

Imagine if Edler had 2 years remaining instead of 1. Age wise that is the same situation we would face with OEL.

Interestingly both players looked to hit their prime in the years between 23-25. 

From about 27-30 Edler had a dip in his play then really bounced back in his 30s.

Last season Edler had .56 points per game compared to a career average of .46 and the season before his 10 goals was the second most in his career despite playing only 56 games. The last two seasons he also faced more defensive zone starts and had stronger underlying numbers IE Edler got better.

I think when guys are in the second half of their 20s and are relied on to be the #1 guy their bodies and minds can take a toll. 

now they are two different players but Edler we an example makes me hopeful. 

now on paper the two were comparable last season OEL at the same age has been a better player than Edler throughout his career. As the number two guy behind Hughes he might be a fantastic addition 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Probably doesn't want to take much long term. Nothing wrong with him being patient.

dunno, nearly 30 mil in cap space and all he managed to get was a 2nd round pick. Seems like a big missed opportunity to me. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

dunno, nearly 30 mil in cap space and all he managed to get was a 2nd round pick. Seems like a big missed opportunity to me. 

Could also be working with an internal cap.  Lots of moves still to be made if teams need to clear room for a UFA, or save it to help teams out at the deadline.