The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

13 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

wondering if demko would be in the package

ARI would love that but they have no leverage in this situation.  JB can just sit tight and wait.

Having Demko in the organisation means that they don't have to sign Marky to a big contract. 

I think the trade goes down tonight or tomorrow.

Arizona needs to shed themselves of his cap. The owner does not want to pay him 10 million to start next season and OEL will not waive after Friday morning.

The owner can pay L.E 2.5 in real salary while bringing them up to the cap floor with L.E’s contract. In Arizona’s situation, L.E’s contract is actually very good value. 

We are obviously giving up assets they are interested in, I think the hold up is the fact that Vancouver might be trying to get Arizona to retain salary on top of taking on the L.E contract. 

In this case, there might be another player involved from Arizona’s side to shed more cap, might even be a useful player that Arizona just doesn’t want to pay anymore. 

In any case, 

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, Edler, Markstrom/Demko

is a solid mix.

Zack attack, a few hard hitting D-men, we are golden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Good Offer?

OEL for Sutter,Baertschi, Juolevi, DiPietro, 2021 1st

If their goal is to reduce payroll this season. Then no. They’ve already paid $4m to OEL. This deal sends them around $7m of actual salary. So I total they’d be on the hook for $11m this season.  If they just keep OEL for this season and move him next season it only costs them $8m total this year.   Long term they save a bunch of money doing the deal. . But short term may be the primary concern due to covid. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

I think the trade goes down tonight or tomorrow.

Arizona needs to shed themselves of his cap. The owner does not want to pay him 10 million to start next season and OEL will not waive after Friday morning.

The owner can pay L.E 2.5 in real salary while bringing them up to the cap floor with L.E’s contract. In Arizona’s situation, L.E’s contract is actually very good value. 

We are obviously giving up assets they are interested in, I think the hold up is the fact that Vancouver might be trying to get Arizona to retain salary on top of taking on the L.E contract. 

In this case, there might be another player involved from Arizona’s side to shed more cap, might even be a useful player that Arizona just doesn’t want to pay anymore. 

In any case, 

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, Edler, Markstrom/Demko

is a solid mix.

Zack attack, a few hard hitting D-men, we are golden.

Arizona is bumping up against the cap ceiling.  The cap floor isn’t a realistic concern even if they dumped OEL with no cap coming back.  

57 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

wondering if demko would be in the package

Not with Marky hitting free agency. I am willing to bet Canucks gave Marky a short term, under market value dollar contract with Demko hot on his heels for that starter spot. Marky is gonna get bank somewhere. My hope is Detroit. Or at least anywhere that isn't Alberta.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It isn't terrible. Cap is even. If we're giving up a 1st I would want Eriksson in the deal though. No Eriksson than make that pick a 2nd.

I'd do that deal with a first rounder if they retain 750k-1m of OEL's contract. I do question other team's valuation of Juolevi though. I still think he has top 4 upside. They likely don't.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd do that deal with a first rounder if they retain 750k-1m of OEL's contract. I do question other team's valuation of Juolevi though. I still think he has top 4 upside. They likely don't.

Yeah you probably replace OJ with Rathbone there.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah you probably replace OJ with Rathbone there.

I don't like the idea of shafting a college player that went outta his way to sign here when he said he was thinkin of staying in college til free agency. We got a good relationship with NCAA players, I'd like to keep it that way. Especially since we dipped back into the NCAA pool this draft.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No.... we need cap off the books for the season after next.  If we add $8.25 million in payroll and still have Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel on the payroll AND have to pay raises for Petterson and Hughes in 2021-22... then we are deeply screwed.

It has to be either Eriksson or both of Roussel and Beagle.

Yip. Take it or leave it. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Provost said:

No.... we need cap off the books for the season after next.  If we add $8.25 million in payroll and still have Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel on the payroll AND have to pay raises for Petterson and Hughes in 2021-22... then we are deeply screwed.

tenor.gif

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't like the idea of shafting a college player that went outta his way to sign here when he said he was thinkin of staying in college til free agency. We got a good relationship with NCAA players, I'd like to keep it that way. Especially since we dipped back into the NCAA pool this draft.

It's not ideal. But he would be playing next year there I'm sure. Rathbone is tough to give up in trade. He's a big piece and if he is part of the trade Arizona should be accounting for that.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not with Marky hitting free agency. I am willing to bet Canucks gave Marky a short term, under market value dollar contract with Demko hot on his heels for that starter spot. Marky is gonna get bank somewhere. My hope is Detroit. Or at least anywhere that isn't Alberta.

My money would be on Carolina or Colorado.

I'll be shocked if Marky is still a Canuck next season.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yup, and I don't think there's any appetite for us to move Beagle. Ergo...

• Vintage 1