The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

That is called getting into their heads when the feel they are better and cannot put us away. It will frustrate them and doubt creeps in. You make more mistakes when that happens.

Maybe we'll get in their heads after game 6 but we aren't there now.  We're less threatening right now than Nashville was to us after game 5 in 2011.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

After that Theodore goal I don't want to see Roussel or Fantenberg in the lineup on Thursday, that was pathetic defense in the playoffs and it wasn't as if Roussel was tired, he had just got out of the box after that awful penalty.  Fantenberg has been steady but he was responsible for that too many men call in game 5 as well, put Mac and Benn in for some fresh legs and some size and grit.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Man what to do. Let Marksteome go and vet on Demko, trade Demko for a mother load return, or trade with the kracken and potentially create another Vegas.

Decisions, decisions.

The choice seems to be: sign a great 30 year old goalie for around 6 million, lose Demko for nothing and be cash-strapped signing our other UFAs OR keep Demko, a great 24 year old goalie who gets $1,050,000 and use the savings to shore up defence. A 24 yo gives us much more mileage than a 30 yo. Yes, Markie got us to the playoffs but we are burdened with an overly expensive 4th line, the Loungo recapture and 6 million man sitting in the press box. Demko at his salary is a God send.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Darius said:

I think that the defensive system the Canucks play over exaggerates the other team carrying the play.  The ice has looked tilted in favour of the other team for long stretches even in the Wild series.  I think you can take a non playoff team and play them against the Canucks and the other team will look like they have the run of the play for long stretches.

They are relatively passive on the perimeter and concentrate on blocking lanes, blocking shots and getting their sticks in the way to keep the puck out of the high danger areas.  If the goalie maintains good position in net then hes gonna eat a lot of pucks from the outside but hes also gonna look good.

Not to say that Vegas isnt overwhelming them at times, and there are times where our guys cant keep the puck in the o zone for long, but i think some of this tilted ice you see night after night is due to how the Canucks manage their zone...its not all because they are over matched by the other team.

I think that is partially true, they have switched up the D strategy since playoffs and it does work, but as you say it keeps opponents on the perimeter and try’s to restrict the man in front of the crease or in the slot which was where forwards used to camp out against us.

inhear people screaming we should be more aggressive but if we chase them up the boards we leave the middle open.

keep them to the edge and let them shoot it at the chest of the minder all day 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

The choice seems to be: sign a great 30 year old goalie for around 6 million, lose Demko for nothing and be cash-strapped signing our other UFAs OR keep Demko, a great 24 year old goalie who gets $1,050,000 and use the savings to shore up defence. A 24 yo gives us much more mileage than a 30 yo. Yes, Markie got us to the playoffs but we are burdened with an overly expensive 4th line, the Loungo recapture and 6 million man sitting in the press box. Demko at his salary is a God send.

I think marky gets a 3 year $5M deal, no clauses.

Someone else will probably want him more.

I see the appeal in letting him go to grab a guy like pietrangelo.

Edited by Moose Nuckle

7 hours ago, Tystick said:

Good points, I didn't get to watch the entire game, just bits of it.

I just feel MacEwan would have a positive impact, perhaps in for Gaudette?

Agree - I thought MacEwen played really well against St Louis - and did a good job of working on O'Reilly - hounded him, hit him, won some puck battles against him.  I think Gaudette remains in at this point because of injuries (to centers) - to Miller, Sutter - and Horvat might also be playing injured by the looks of things.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

After that Theodore goal I don't want to see Roussel or Fantenberg in the lineup on Thursday, that was pathetic defense in the playoffs and it wasn't as if Roussel was tired, he had just got out of the box after that awful penalty.  Fantenberg has been steady but he was responsible for that too many men call in game 5 as well, put Mac and Benn in for some fresh legs and some size and grit.

Give Theodore some credit - he's as good a PMD and dangler as Hughes (13 goals and 33 assists in regular season ..... and a +12 vs our boy's -10)

If Hughes had scored that goal these boards would have crashed with the plethora of oooohs and aaaahs at such a play.

(Not that I am knocking Hughes. - just give credit where credit is due)

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think that the defensive system the Canucks play over exaggerates the other team carrying the play.  The ice has looked tilted in favour of the other team for long stretches even in the Wild series.  I think you can take a non playoff team and play them against the Canucks and the other team will look like they have the run of the play for long stretches.

They are relatively passive on the perimeter and concentrate on blocking lanes, blocking shots and getting their sticks in the way to keep the puck out of the high danger areas.  If the goalie maintains good position in net then hes gonna eat a lot of pucks from the outside but hes also gonna look good.

Not to say that Vegas isnt overwhelming them at times, and there are times where our guys cant keep the puck in the o zone for long, but i think some of this tilted ice you see night after night is due to how the Canucks manage their zone...its not all because they are over matched by the other team.

Exactly!   They've even stated that their focus is to limit the high danger shots and that they do allow more perimeter stuff that they count on being blocked (22 blocks again last night compared to Vegas' 13) or saved.  When Vegas is cycling they're trying to find a lane and throwing the puck around as part of that.  It also gives them possession stats but it's the score that counts.  

This team looks to be passive at times but it's also just how they're playing...limit mistakes and use patience.  Desperate play gets sloppy and can be exploited when mistakes are made.

And, here I go again....Edler love.  He's so undervalued by some here who don't see him quietly go about his stuff.  Last night:  4 hits, 6 shot blocks.  Beast mode.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Give Theodore some credit - he's as good a PMD and dangler as Hughes (13 goals and 33 assists in regular season ..... and a +12 vs our boy's -10)

If Hughes had scored that goal these boards would have crashed with the plethora of oooohs and aaaahs at such a play.

It was a decent goal that stemmed from a very poor defensive effort, Green's expression said it all.  Roussel and Fantenberg showed zero effort on that play.

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, viking mama said:

No way we can afford to lose Demko in expansion draft....but - what would Seattle want to NOT take him. Keep in mind - they would like nothing better than to absolutely weaken a chief divisional opponent, too. I think it would be less painful or risky to let Marky go to free agency & hope he chooses VanCity with some kind of structured hometown discount involved. It’s absolutely going to take 2 great goalies to keep these Ws & play-off victories coming in the future, too.

Jimbo - over to YOU! 

The best thing that could have possibly have had so far is happening for JB this playoffs.   Every single one of our vets (LE excluded of course) has earned their pay and GMs will be taking notice.  Roussel, Beagle, Sutter and Pearson - have all had their moments.  Add Demko to that list now and if he manages to steal another game ... his stock will go up and he also becomes a more tradeable asset - teams other then Detroit might be willing to give him a shot at number one and protect him.   Markstrom is still the safer move.  Don’t forget what happened to our season when Demko took over.   At least options are available too.   Maybe we do keep Demko but we have to choose one of the other.    Both ideas have pros and cons but Markstrom is by far the safer play. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

what i find more frustrating, than letting Theodore walk in, is that Theodore skates around unscathed everywhere.  He should have a target on his back. he stirs the drink back there and to me it looks like he would be roughed up / hit more if he were playing exhibition games.  Our top end kids are being mauled, this guy skates around like he can be holding a waitors tray with 6 glasses of beer on it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

what i find more frustrating, than letting Theodore walk in, is that Theodore skates around unscathed everywhere.  He should have a target on his back. he stirs the drink back there and to me it looks like he would be roughed up / hit more if he were playing exhibition games.  Our top end kids are being mauled, this guy skates around like he can be holding a waitors tray with 6 glasses of beer on it.

Great player, even better description. We should be hitting him right through the crest instead of puck watching. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Googlie said:

No he's not.  Difference is the word's out on Quinn and he's a focus for Vegas.  Clearly.  

So you've cherry picked some stats...go look at more.  Also...Quinn's a rookie...give him 5 years then let's compare notes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No he's not.  Difference is the word's out on Quinn and he's a focus for Vegas.  Clearly.  

So you've cherry picked some stats...go look at more.  Also...Quinn's a rookie...give him 5 years then let's compare notes.

Yeah, if we abused Theodore the way Vegas has abused Hughes we would be short handed for half the game.

• Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The best thing that could have possibly have had so far is happening for JB this playoffs.   Every single one of our vets (LE excluded of course) has earned their pay and GMs will be taking notice.  Roussel, Beagle, Sutter and Pearson - have all had their moments.  Add Demko to that list now and if he manages to steal another game ... his stock will go up and he also becomes a more tradeable asset - teams other then Detroit might be willing to give him a shot at number one and protect him.   Markstrom is still the safer move.  Don’t forget what happened to our season when Demko took over.   At least options are available too.   Maybe we do keep Demko but we have to choose one of the other.    Both ideas have pros and cons but Markstrom is by far the safer play. 

They don't necessarily have to choose one or the other.

There are a few options.

(But I agree with your principal point - that up and down the lineup players are showing their mettle - at the right time - and it bodes well for management flexibility).

First - they could offer Seattle DiPietro (who won't be eligible for expansion) - and possibly a sweetener - to not take either of these two.

Remembering that Seattle will have a whole lot of options to select from - it's possible they'd take the opportunity to add a talented young future to their mix, as they are going to get a few good NHL goaltenders regardless.

Second option - if Markstrom is amenable, wants to stay, wants the team to have the best chance of winning - he could enable the franchise to end-around the expansion draft by doing what Edler did - which is take a short term deal that expires and re-sign with us again.  That might be too much to ask considering what his market value will be - however at the same time I think Benning has demonstrated on more than one occassion that his word is worth something -  he's willing to give a player the freedom to move on, and has had a couple UFAs return after short term deals.  I think Markstrom is for real - he has everything it takes to remain a Grade A goaltender - so on the one hand I imagine he might have the confidence that his performance sustains and will continue to command good market value - the one risk would be injury on a short term deal, but I doubt the franchise would reneg based on an injury.  It would all depend on how team-oriented guys are willing to go under the circumstances - whether Markstrom would prefer to remain - and enable the team.  What we are seeing right now is how critical a tandem is - and the underlying reality is that Demko being such a vital part of the team = Markstrom's own season could be extended - he may live to fight another series - if Demko can bridge the team beyond Markstrom's injury - as he did last night.

I think the 'best case scenario' would be to sign Markstrom - and Tanev - to generous one year deals.  If that's not possible, there is still the potential to use DiPietro as a bluechiip to dangle - particularly if they can get out ahead of the market and get a deal like that done as soon as the window opens.  I think the bottom line might be the inability to re-sign Toffoli - however that might be the lesser of the concerns - the team has Virtanen, who has shown the ability to step up and be a good fit on the Horvat line, they have Gaudette already on the roster (he could be a potential to move up to play wing on a scoring line) - they have Lind, who is a helluva two way prospect that has slipped beneath some people's radar, they have Podkolzin (and Lockwood) - really, they are quite healthy moving forward at RW with a young sniper like Boeser already in the fold.

But I think they do have options where they can potentially retain both Markstrom and Demko.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2