The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Jared McCann possibly on the move

Montreal should take a flyer on him - and move him to wing.

McCann is talented - quick, good release - natural center  - plays with the kind of pace the Habs like to - maybe not the most mature/emoitonally intelligent young guy, but he's still only 23 and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder that might be culivated.

Unload Drouin - get a couple good young draft + players (gain some cap in the process) - as I mentioned elsewhere, try to get a guy on the verge of NHL ready (like Formenton) - and spend a mid range pick on McCann. They are then that much more flexible in going into the free agent market. McCann  imo is one of those young-minded types -  he's shown some signs - not necessarily as much as some people may have expected - but a decent gamble to take, at reasonable price, on him potentially still late blooming. 

Edited by oldnews

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Montreal should take a flyer on him - and move him to wing.

McCann is talented - quick, good release - natural center  - plays with the kind of pace the Habs like to - maybe not the most mature/emoitonally intelligent young guy, but he's still only 23 and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder that might be culivated.

Unload Drouin - get a couple good young draft + players (gain some cap in the process) - as I mentioned elsewhere, try to get a guy on the verge of NHL ready (like Formenton) - and spend a mid range pick on McCann. They are then that much more flexible in going into the free agent market. McCann  imo is one of those young-minded types -  he's shown some signs - not necessarily as much as some people may have expected - but a decent gamble to take, at reasonable price, on him potentially still late blooming. 

Could see either them or Minnesota take a stab at him.  Wild are set to lose Koivu and Staal's not getting any younger, and not sure they have any C with potential to keep up with Fiala and Kaprizov up the middle.  His draw % is also as good as Eriksson Ek who's taking over for Mikko so he could be good depth.  

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Contract coming up & they can't afford to re-up him.  Reason why they let Sutter go.  Reason why they let Bonino go.  Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  Only guys they'll keep are true core players like Crosby, Malkin, etc.

Not sure why people are doing a 'victory lap'.  We're still stuck with a player (Sutter) than might cost us re-uping a good player like Toffoli.

because Beth Bartkowski poisoned the minds of many a Canuck fan

remember that clip of the draft when someone wanted to trade for that pick, but Jim said he really wanted to keep the pick?

I always wonder if it was Boston wanting to trade up for Pasta

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

I remember when Benning drafted McCann - he looked like a kid that asked for a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas, but got a pair of socks.  His attitude leaked all over the place, immediately.

In any event, he's 23 now - and isn't "all that" -  he may have had a very high estimation of himself, but he still has time to become a very good NHLer.

Personally if I'm a team like the Habs looking for scoring on the wing - with Domi making rumblings of wanting out - and a Drouin (that was always destined to be a winger conversion imo) - that I'd dump in a heartbeat, I'd bring in McCann at low cost and you might just land this player at the right time in his trajectory - with perhaps a bit more maturity and realism after getting moved repeatedly.  Armia is a guy that wound up somewhat on the margins but I thought he was a nice pickup by the Habs (and was a few years older than McCann at the time) - he's been a pretty solid addition for them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just keep in mind... he's still the same age as Jake.  And we still think of Jake as still "just getting it" in terms of being a pro.  

I’ve always seen Jake as possibly our next Bertuzzi. It took Bert six years to get it together and it wasn’t until his eighth season that he became the power house we’ve all come to love. I’d give Jake a year and if things don’t pan out I’d trade him during the 21-22 season. Lol and he just scored as I’m writing this nice!

12 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I doubt that she would have buried ?McCann on air in such a vile manner.

i think I do remember that however.  She was having some fun with Jake Virtanen.

That little 19 y.o was McCann.

JV may have his issues, he's never been referred to as little.

nice try

Edited by GhostsOf1994
as little

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

That little 19 y.o was McCann.

JV may have his issues, he's never been referred to as little.

nice try

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree.  

She was clearly kidding around and her comment was towards Jake Virtanen whom she liked a lot.    

On 9/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, DarkIndianRises said:

Somewhere in an alternate universe ran by MS, Y2K, and Bleach Clean, guys like Jared McCann, Frank Corrado, Gustav Forsling, and Eddie Lack have become huge superstars in the league while the Canucks remain at the bottom of the barrel.  This is what heaven looks like to these “Canucks fans.”

Matt Sekeres usually leads the charge. And the lambs bleat all over these boards. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, lmm said:

remember that clip of the draft when someone wanted to trade for that pick, but Jim said he really wanted to keep the pick?

I always wonder if it was Boston wanting to trade up for Pasta

It was Garth Snow of the Islanders that wanted the pick. I wonder if they wanted to sneak in front of Boston to grab Pasta.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 9/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Without a doubt. They cry over these marginal players and associate them more with their draft positions than their present day trajectory. I hope to never stumble upon that universe. 

Don’t forget the great Brendan Gaunce!

Those guys are unbelievable.    They just never admit fault with anything.  What’s worse is that they’re trying to avoid hypocrisy (by cheering on this team), by painting a picture where Gillis and Brackett are the sole reasons why the Canucks are succeeding today.  They also constantly move goal posts:

1) The Canucks 9-3-3 record at the start was due to a butter soft schedule.

2) Markstrom was the only reason why we had such a hot January.

3) A global pandemic saved the Canucks from missing the playoffs and they didn’t deserve to be there.  Wins over NYI and Colorado during their final 2 of 3 games be damned.   
4) Beating Minnesota meant nothing and Minnesota also shouldn’t have made the play ins.

5) This one is my favorite - Even Detroit would have beaten St.Louis with the type of goaltending that St.Louis had.  
6) The Canucks didn’t deserve to win any games against Vegas.  Vegas basically beat themselves.

Like seriously - do these sound like Canucks fans at all?   

What’s hilarious is that as these comments are going on, fans from other teams’ message boards are coming onto the Canucks section and are congratulating us and Benning on creating such a bright future.   

Radio stations in Toronto and Calgary are analyzing as to how they went wrong and how the Canucks rebuilt faster and more successfully than they did.    

Just really weird $&!# all around.

Now - in light of the Canucks unexpected 2nd round game 7 appearance, the new narrative is, “even Edmonton and Calgary reached the 2nd round a few years back and look what happened to them afterwards.”

No admission of fault and constantly moving goalposts to justify their original stance.

They still harp on the McCann-Gudbranson deal (which I admit was bad), without acknowledging the fact that Benning recorrected his mistake by flipping Gudbranson for Pearson.   Oh, and did you hear?   Demko was drafted by the Gillis regime and Benning had absolutely nothing to do with the pick because he had just arrived here.

That whole Canucks section is full of really strange fans.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1