The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 04, 2020 | Golden Knights win series 4-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Man, if the boys can pull together like that defensively on a regular basis next season we'll really be a force

They gave their defensive game everything, and they wanted to push for goals but Vegas was Vegas

They really gave it their all

The Knights averaged 39 shots a game in the series. Had little to do with pulling together defensively and mostly hot goaltending over a 4 day stretch by Demko.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s obvious the goal should be to get faster and better at transitioning the puck. That’s how this team will have to be built.

Too many guys that just couldn’t move the puck quick enough and keep possession, and that cost us.

The team is already plenty fast. They bobbled passes far too often though. And they had their pockets picked by Vegas a lot. 

Just a few points that need refining in their game. They played great outside of the games where they were hemmed in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, NZCanuck said:

It’s strange losing a game 7 and not being mad. 

They fought and scrapped further than anyone expected. The kids showed that they are nearly ready to take that next step and we’ve got two superstar goalies alongside some incredible young talent. 

It’s our window shortly.

In the meantime good luck Vegas. 

Na &^@# Vegas for life

• Cheers 3

What hurts about losing this series is that it had been NINE years since the Canucks last one a single playoff game. The last playoff series run for the Canucks was going to the Stanley Cup finals in 2011. This year reminded me how fun it is watching the Canucks win playoff games. It had been 5 years since we'd even made the playoffs, so let's build off this momentum!

It hurts knowing IF we had one this series, we would have been one of FOUR teams left to fight for the Stanley cup finals. A new series would have meant rest time and a reset to play against a different team.

What young players don't realize and may have pushed them to try more physically is how hard it is to even get in the playoffs. There are so many factors including salary caps that make it difficult to get into the playoffs year after year. We had good team chemistry overall and a few weak links. Now can we retain the existing team chemistry and strengthen our weak areas.

This playoffs was interesting overall, because our PP was very good ( until game 7 ) and we played a fast and skillful game. In the Vegas series, I think the Canucks changed their game too much and became more passive and defensive. It's notable how they got energy and started shooting on net once Vegas got the first goal, but why did they wait until 6 minutes left in the game to push back that hard?

I'd like to see Markstrom and Demko stay with Vancouver, because two strong goalies was part of why we got to the 2nd round this year. Imagine if we didn't have Demko after Markstrom was injured. Can they afford to keep both goalies? Can they have a Goalie A1 and a Goalie A2?

Who can they keep next year and who's going to ask for more money and they will have to let go or trade? I've heard rumours about Sutter leaving but I hope they keep him, because he is indespensible on PKs.

Where they need help is on defense. They need 1-2 more solid defensemen to have stronger pairings.

I can't wait for Canucks to start playing again next year. It's been tough having a shortened season, but great to see the Canucks in the playoffs again!!

26 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Sounds like Juolevi's game

And Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Woo, Rafferty etc.

We definitely have guys to fill those roles. Just need to bring them up to speed.

I agree with people saying we need to overhaul the bottom 6. Keep Motte, MacEwan and Gaudette. Need to get younger and more aggressive in the other spots.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team is already plenty fast. They bobbled passes far too often though. And they had their pockets picked by Vegas a lot. 

Just a few points that need refining in their game. They played great outside of the games where they were hemmed in. 

Not fast enough or maybe just not conditioned enough. But it was obvious Vegas was faster in almost every foot race. They were skating miles around a lot of our guys.

Our bottom 6 definitely needs to be faster and more aggressive at the very least.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

I saw this too.   They were strong on pucks when they had it.  It almost looked like they were playing on roids with how easily they took the puck from us and instantly made something happen.   Hopefully TG is going to train our guys to play the same way.

I think TG already is.  We saw that kind of play from our boys in the StL series, and likely the Minni one too (although my memory is a little fuzzy on that series, so I may be off there).

We're trending upwards, and that was the most reasonable expectation I had for the team going into the playoffs.  Better luck next year!

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

They're a hard playing confident team. That was the only hit I saw that was dirty.

How many slewfoots did they get away with again?  I only think 1-2 were called, but there were more that weren't.

Granted, I was expecting worse, in general dirtiness.  So there's that.

Just now, Kragar said:

How many slewfoots did they get away with again?  I only think 1-2 were called, but there were more that weren't.

They started the series trying to bully us but we started pushing back and then they were actually pretty tame the second half of the series.

I would say we definitely humbled them after they showed us no respect at 3-1.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Not at all saying they're saints, and we got away with some stuff too. That's what happens when the refs stop enforcing the rules let the players play - stuff doesn't get called and the bigger team is the one that will benefit the most.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not fast enough or maybe just not conditioned enough. But it was obvious Vegas was faster in almost every foot race. They were skating miles around a lot of our guys.

Our bottom 6 definitely needs to be faster and more aggressive at the very least.

Totally agree.  We're a fast team but if we get faster, we'll be deadly.   The best way to do that is to upgrade the D as the puck moves faster than being skated with.  

Excited to see the upgraded version of this team next season.

• Cheers 2

Future looks bright 

the next steps are important ones. 

ufas/Rafa bad contracts And the 

expansion draft 
losing Demko because we have to protect A Then 31 year old markstrom As an example. 
Some big tough decisions for the Owners and gm these next few months could set this team up for the next level or set us back. 
losing Valuable players due to dud contracts will be tough For JB to escape.
Expansion protection and MNC/NTCs ..

As for this group they Did everything they could from the net out, couldn’t ask any more from anyone. Pretty proud of this team.

they should feel pretty good about themselves. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm sure both teams were tired and playing banged up. No excuses. I think there were 2 things that occurred:

1. Vegas wanted it more

2. Vegas is just a better team 

The Canucks did really well in these playoffs, thanks to excellent goaltending. it was exciting. I think they need to keep both Marky and Demmer, but some players have to go:

Pearson

Toffoli

Virtanen

Beagle

Sutter

Eriksson

Sutter showed in the wild series and early in the STL series what he can be, but seemed to be a shadow of that figure after the non call boarding. I do wonder if he was nursing an injury. Hopefully it means he has some trade value now

I wouldn’t mind Toff staying, his injury was unlucky and we never really got to see the playoff version of him, but in the close of the regular season he looked good 

Erikson, Pearson - yep no issues there but good luck on trying to get takers for LE. Would be great if he decided to retire but that’s fanciful thinking. 

Virtanen - I’m on the fence - I think he could be good but his hockey IQ might never be enough at this level. Also he may not be able to fulfil his potential here for whatever reasons that is. If we got a good price for him, of pieces being returned that help the team I’m not adverse to it.

Beagle - nah I want to keep him around. His of ice attitude sets examples of how to be a player, his work and training ethic is well regarded. I see him having a similar role in leadership (ie by example) that malholtra had when he was playing. That and as a bottom 6 centre he is good and he is a PK stalwart. He’s worth  it. 

• Vintage 1