The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season Adjustments

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

If possible, try to ship out one of Roussel or Beagle, purely for the cap space.

Convince LE to retire, again for cap space and someone like Big Mac can fill that bottom 6 role and continue their development, becoming a regular in the NHL.

If we can't keep Marky for less than around 5 per for 5 years, let him walk. In an ideal world we go into next season with him and Demko and both play a big role in our team's ascension. Then at the trade deadline, move the goalie that would fetch us a better return to improve our D.

Let Stecher walk. Trade Benn.

Re-sign Tanev to a 2-3 year deal if possible.

Re-sign Motte and Virtanen. Let Toffoli walk unless he wants to stay to play with Petey at less than market value. (We do not move Boeser, he is a core piece and almost won the calder 2 years ago) He is young and will improve his skating and overall game.

Here is my preferred lineup.

Miller Petey Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Motte Gaudette Sutter

Mac Beagle Ferland

Hughes  Tanev

Edler  Myers

Juolevi  Rafferty

Fantenberg

Marky/Demko

Tough call for JB with our goalies. I’d love to keep both of them, but as much as I love Marky, I’d take Demmer over him at this point.

But the upcomkng season will be filled with back-to-back games and heavy schedule from the first game to the last. It would be in the teams best interest to have a duo like Markström and Demko for next year at least. Every team should look at that and have a ~50/30 slit and two guys that can do that well enough. These two can.

Same goes with d and offense, we need depth more than before. So having our expensive guys one more year wont be the end of the world.

Not the end of the world if we fall back a little, next season(since we hold all key picks). So Don't! attach picks/youth to dump excess. Be patient & work around it.

That said, I've seen enough of the Abby-airhead. No prob if they move the guy, out east pls.

Want more speed, youth & size. Stecher is an exception. Would run with him long-term, but ask he learns/accepts subbing as 4th liner(at times). We need to roll 7D lineups on our bxb's & long, multi TZ trips. He's committed & versatile; could learn to adapt like Bulldog used to.

Let CT & JM go get deserved big contracts.

Prefer a big, deeep blueline. More like NYI's & Canes feature. Willing to deal a couple young stars to see this fulfilled.

But Petterson is key. Lock him in, A$AP!

Also bring back The TREE!

Rathbone should be the last one. Stop bringing in smaller D-men. We take too much crap. Need a bunch of redwoods back there.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Yep I know that.  But he’s not 7 right now and if we don’t want him in two years we trade him or don’t qualify him not a big deal.  Agree Edler looked slow against Vegas - but he’s still a horse.  Would like to see him slowly moved down the depth chart and hopefully that continues with OJ making the team the coming up season.   Would be an awesome third pairing D. 

Edit: I’ve never been sold on TT.  And disappointed in both his and Pearson’s Vegas series.   JV ... well maybe it’s time to move on from him and cut bait.   

Edited by IBatch

46 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Not the end of the world if we fall back a little, next season(since we hold all key picks). So Don't! attach picks/youth to dump excess. Be patient & work around it.

That said, I've seen enough of the Abby-airhead. No prob if they move the guy, out east pls.

Want more speed, youth & size. Stecher is an exception. Would run with him long-term, but ask he learns/accepts subbing as 4th liner(at times). We need to roll 7D lineups on our bxb's & long, multi TZ trips. He's committed & versatile; could learn to adapt like Bulldog used to.

Let CT & JM go get deserved big contracts.

Prefer a big, deeep blueline. More like NYI's & Canes feature. Willing to deal a couple young stars to see this fulfilled.

But Petterson is key. Lock him in, A$AP!

Also bring back The TREE!

Rathbone should be the last one. Stop bringing in smaller D-men. We take too much crap. Need a bunch of redwoods back there.

Agree that one small D should be the standard.   Stecher isn’t a small D though because he plays like a big one - Bieksa and Chelios were only 5’11” 190lbs too you know.  At least he has heart like Motte upfront.   Rather have that then a Gudbranson type who drops the gloves 2 times a year anyday.    

Agree we should start working on EPs next contract now.   He’s had a taste and if he brings what he did this postseason into the regular season...ouch to our cap hit.  Would wave the AHO deal around him starting yesterday. 

Agree let Markstrom walk.  If he comes back and is ok with 4.5 x 5 then sign him.  18 months isn’t enough especially now Demko showed his true colours.    Tanev we can’t let go.  He’s only 30 not an old man at all.  In fact his best seasons could still be ahead of him.   Sign him to a flat cap deal and move on.  No freaking way is Rafferty going to replace Stecher and no way is Stetcher going to replace Tanev. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

The obvious is they need more depth on D and the bottom 6 has to get better and faster. I’m sure Benning has a plan regarding the cap space so I’m not all that worried about that. Shed as many of the deadweight contracts as you can and minimize FA spending. 

Edited by Pickly

On 9/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, AV's Coin said:

no it was actually the defence that stunk. If you cant make a play to get out of your own zone your not going to get many offensive chances. Half the time they were even failing to flip it out of the zone which is their strength sad to say. Trying to skate it out they would have to circle back into their own zone and then get caught by the forcheck.

Lather, rinse, repeat as Beiksa said.

Juolevi replacing Benn will be an upgrade. Stetcher is okay but likely comes down to cost in which case maybe Rafferty, Brisebois or Rathbone (unlikely next year although I have always been high on him) steps in.

Totally.

Need better zone exists and zone entries. Defense is not good and is not balanced.

I would continue to "rebuild" and sell vets when possible and draft d when possible. Obviously take the best player available but there are always quality players in the second round.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Agree that one small D should be the standard.   Stecher isn’t a small D though because he plays like a big one - Bieksa and Chelios were only 5’11” 190lbs too you know.  At least he has heart like Motte upfront.   Rather have that then a Gudbranson type who drops the gloves 2 times a year anyday.    

Agree we should start working on EPs next contract now.   He’s had a taste and if he brings what he did this postseason into the regular season...ouch to our cap hit.  Would wave the AHO deal around him starting yesterday. 

Agree let Markstrom walk.  If he comes back and is ok with 4.5 x 5 then sign him.  18 months isn’t enough especially now Demko showed his true colours.    Tanev we can’t let go.  He’s only 30 not an old man at all.  In fact his best seasons could still be ahead of him.   Sign him to a flat cap deal and move on.  No freaking way is Rafferty going to replace Stecher and no way is Stetcher going to replace Tanev. 

I think Stetcher is tiny and plays small.

Huge heart but still plays small.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

2 teams I hate, from a country that just causes global-turmoil. Don't even think I'll read the f***ing summaries.

Season's done for moi.

Fair enough.

Not me though as Vegas and Dallas sit light years ahead of Toronto.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Conscience said:

Pearson Boeser Toffoli are all too similar slow players.  2/3 is enough 

I ship Boeser out for a physical dman and resign toffoli for less than Brocks 7mil.

We really need a dominant 3rd line center, someone who can can be trusted against top lines. 

I'd let Toffoli walk and dump Tanner for a 2nd.

6 stays just based on age.

4 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

first priority should be to get rid of Virtanen. He has zero hockey IQ and regular IQ is close to being retarded. Use him as trade bait for a team looking for a "big power forward with good hands" 

Huge market for guy like that!

Walk:

TT

Marky

Stetcher

Trade:

Tanner Pearson

IR:

Ferland

Sign:

Chris Tanev

Investigation:

Buddy Robinson

Cam Talbot 

Brandon Dillion

Kevan Miller

Joel Edmundson 

Tory Krug

Patrick Maroon

Trade Target:

18 year old Sam Bennett

Edited by Chris12345

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

I was fully in the Markstrom camp too but also saw the few that reasoned we’d be better off with a cheap 1b and Demko moving forward due to the cap issue.  Demko made me a believer.   The most unreal performance I’ve seen since Hasek was playing.   Best goalie performance I’ve seen since Roy in 93 and Ranford in 90.   I’d include 2011 Thomas but won’t go there.   The pros out weigh the cons now.   I’d also let Markstrom walk as it all but gaurantees we wont be playing against one of them in Seattle.   Frees up cap space... and he’s the right age for the core. 

I think the fact we didnt expect it from Demko made it seem greater than it mightve been.  Luongo had unreal performances his first year with us.  Markstrom had a few unreal performances these playoffs too.  Demkos was up there.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

except dmko struggled when Marky was hurt.  You can't make the decision based on three games after a 6 month layoff.

He did struggle but by the third game was gaining confidence. 

I'm not sure how much more pressure you could subject him to than what he just faced and surpassed everyone's expectations. 

If Marky is willing to sign a team friendly deal, fine. But you protect Demko.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, DeNiro said:

Sad to say but I think either Markstrom or Demko has played their last game as a Canuck.

I don’t see any scenario where Markstrom accepts a deal without a NMC. In which case you either let him walk or trade Demko now.

As soon as Markstrom signs with a NMC there’s no way any team gives us full value for Demko as we would be handcuffed.

So they better have a clear idea who their guy is. Letting Demko go for nothing is not an option. It’s trade him now or let Marsktrom walk, I don’t see there being any in between.

Demko for Dobson

On 9/5/2020 at 4:45 PM, Outsiders said:

If anything this playoffs showed who we can win with and who we can't. 

Our bottom six needs to be changed. 

This is what our bottom six should look like starting next season. 

__________-Gaudette-_____________

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen 

I wouldn't be upset about trying to get an upgrade to replace Gaudette and get more of a 2way forward. I just didn't see enough from Gaudette in the playoffs. It was his first taste and he got good experience, although being sheltered. I feel management will give him another shot and I am on board with that if they do.

Has to go:

Roussel - I like his game and pushback but the team doesn't play that kinda game. He always gets reputation calls and it hurts the team. I feel we can find an upgrade cheaper than 3 million that puts up more points and plays better defensively

Sutter - Had like 3-4 solid games this playoff run but he faded quickly. He just can't keep that high level of play for more than a couple games before he fades out. He is way to soft to play in the bottom six and Beagle is better on the PK. 4.3 million for soft hockey is just disappointing. Would be huge if we can move him with 1 year left on his deal!

Virtanen - Showed flashes but again was a non-factor most nights. Never know what you're going to get from him. He had a couple important goals but just isn't the type of player I think we win with. He had a golden opportunity to play a physical game against Vegas and STL and chose not to. He needs out of Vancouver, as there are to many distractions here in his hometown. Not to mention coming off 18 goal season he has Arb rights so would likely cost us $3million. Pass

EDIT - Levio - totally forgot about him. I'd 100% bring him back on a 1 year deal. I really liked his game and he would play really well with Gaudette!!!

Heres the thing. We got Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind coming. Hoglander I think can make the team out of camp. Podkolzin can only come like half way through the season. Lind is probably a half or full season away. So worst case if we have to keep Sutter and Roussel for a season to bridge the cap so be it. Although, we could probably trade them close to the deadline and just call up Lind/add Podkolzin b/c his KHL season finished. Just food for thought

Our top 6...

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli ( 4 years 5 million )

A couple changes could be made. 

Toffoli - I wouldn't go over 5 million a season. However, I do believe you win with a player like him going forward. I really feel his injury held him back in the playoffs and I see a 25 goal 50PT player. 

Pearson - I would keep him here for next season. I really liked his regular season and I felt he played great with Bo. A solid 200 foot player that wins his board battles and can score. The problem with Pearson is he is a UFA after next season and we will most likely will have to let him walk (Especially if we keep Toffoli). He could probably get 4.5 on the open market. Hoglander should be ready to go by then. 

Boeser - I'm not ready to give up on Boeser yet. I want to give him another full season to prove himself and see if we can get him back to 20-25+ goals. He will be motivated and want to prove everyone wrong. Half the problem is the misuse him on the PP which is frustrating. He is a shooter, having him stand in front of the net is pointless. We have 2 years before is QO goes to 7.5 million. So plenty of time to see if Boeser is in our long term plans or not. 

Defence

Edler-Myers

Hughes-___________

Rathbone/Juolevi-Stecher

Stecher - after the playoffs he is perfect for our bottom pair. Can play up and down and that is important. If we can work out a deal in the 2.5 million range for 2-3 years that would be great! 

Rathbone/Juolevi - One of them is ready to make the jump. Stecher is a perfect partner on the 3rd pair for either of them. 

Tanev - Have to let hime walk. His inability to move the puck was prominent this playoffs and you just can't pay him 5 million on a long term deal with his health. 

Fantenberg - Resign for 7 D. He played well in playoffs. Liked his physicality and compete. 

Benn - Bye

Goaltending 

See DeNiro's post above

IMO I think you go with the younger goalie that will grow with his core. He just showed his is ready for prime time. Sign a cheap UFA vet to support him. I think it would be foolish to give Markstrom 6 million on a long term deal. Especially with our cap problems. Demko is 24. Marky is 30. With saving all this cap (Tanev and Marky walking) We can focus on upgrading our D to really insulate and support Demko. 

For next season at least:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Toffoli 

Pearson-Gaudette-Levio( perfect for our 3rd line with Gaudette) Pearson drops to 3rd line to help spread offence and help Gaud in D zone

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen 

Edler-Myers

Hughes-___________ (UFA or trade)

Rathbone/Juolevi-Stecher (solid puck moving pairing)

Demko

UFA goalie (Domingue?)

Plenty of cap to make upgrades on D and bottom 6. At forward we just have to remember Hoglander,Podkolzin and Lind are coming. Would rather really shake things on on D!

Tryamkin will be an option...I'm guessing they talked with him and his agent about the schedule with the COvid lock down...they decided that he play one more year in Russia to keep him playing hockey, then bring him over next year ...depends on when the KHL season will be over. JB is on record saying he likes Tryamkin's play.

Pearson's lack of foot speed was obvious as was Boeser's.