The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning 20 minute Interview on 1040

Rate this topic

Provost

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

If Ferland retires could they keep the RFA's?  Stecher and Gaudette need to be resign for sure and I still want Virtanen back.  Got to admit listening to that interview increased my faith in Benning now get to work Jim!

ugh was really looking forward seeing ferland play for us, but i think its for the best if he does retire or just goes on LTIR for the rest of his contract, so he still gets paid.

EDIT: Did they ever say what his injury was before leaving the bubble?, im assuming its concussion related though.

Edited by TNucks1

- Resign Tanev and Stecher on D

- Resign Gaudette and Motte 

- Trade Virtanen 

- Leaning towards letting Markstrom walk...With the expansion draft and cap crunch, we dont have much of a choice here 

- On the fence about Toffoli. I prefer him over Pearson.

I think it ultimately comes down to Taffoli vs Markstrom. Regardless, I think next season is the only really tough season cap wise, a lot of dead weight will be coming off the next 2 seasons.

Edited by themcdeal

10 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

ugh was really looking forward seeing ferland play for us, but i think its for the best if he does retire or just goes on LTIR for the rest of his contract, so he still gets paid.

EDIT: Did they ever say what his injury was before leaving the bubble?, im assuming its concussion related though.

I think it was reported (can't remember where) that he was feeling the symptoms again. 

• Thanks 1

I'd rather to have Toffoli signed here than Markstrom if we are being honest.  I recalled that Demko had a difficulty with the starting role with Markstrom being out but then I remembered that we had injury woes during the stretch that is not necessarily Demko's fault.  I agree with Benning, we need two good goalies and I think we might have that with other goalies in the system.  

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I'd rather to have Toffoli signed here than Markstrom if we are being honest.  I recalled that Demko had a difficulty with the starting role with Markstrom being out but then I remembered that we had injury woes during the stretch that is not necessarily Demko's fault.  I agree with Benning, we need two good goalies and I think we might have that with other goalies in the system.  

ugh wish we could keep both, but demmers turning 25 and markstrom probably wants a retirement contract with big bucks, maybe re-sign domingue if we part ways with him, cause the dumb expansion draft, even thoug im excited too have another rivalry. 

Motte deserves some term, 4-5 years at something like 1.5 to under 2m per season. Hope we play hardball with Markstrom, he found his form at age 29, we gave him a chance and he has turned into a good goalie. But, lucky for us we have a solid G who could take over from him in Demko in the near future. So we don't need to commit long term to him.

I would be happy to see him go to Colorado on a big contract. That team needs a #1 G like Marky.

Hope he can move out bad contracts, 1 for sure would be Sven, retained or buyout. Sutter should be moveable and everyone would be elated if we got rid of #21 and his 6m. JB even admitted he was overpaid to be a defensive F

• Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Motte deserves some term, 4-5 years at something like 1.5 to under 2m per season. Hope we play hardball with Markstrom, he found his form at age 29, we gave him a chance and he has turned into a good goalie. But, lucky for us we have a solid G who could take over from him in Demko in the near future. So we don't need to commit long term to him.

I would be happy to see him go to Colorado on a big contract. That team needs a #1 G like Marky.

Hope he can move out bad contracts, 1 for sure would be Sven, retained or buyout. Sutter should be moveable and everyone would be elated if we got rid of #21 and his 6m. JB even admitted he was overpaid to be a defensive F

All of this would be great - except rather see Markstrom land out east maybe even in TO just so we don’t have to go through him in the playoffs ever. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Didn't really get the sense spending to the cap is a problem. 

I do think we've seen the last of 2/3 of Jake, Stecher and Tanev. 

I dunno because you gotta think businesses have to cut costs regardless of their industry.

Hacking payroll is easy to target.

Edited by Chris12345

Just now, tas said:

exactly.

it seems like he often gets flustered trying to think on his feet, wanting to be discreet and professional but not wanting to lie. 

He is a very poor communicator which is why they hired Linden. 

Not saying I don't like his style he's just down right bad at it.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All of this would be great - except rather see Markstrom land out east maybe even in TO just so we don’t have to go through him in the playoffs ever. 

Would hate him to land in TO if they won a cup...but if he gets paid big and they keep losing then I would be happy! We have the book on him, other teams score on him without too much issue so I wouldnt be concerned if he played in another division in the West.

Would have liked to listen to this interview but 1040 stuff doesn't play on my computer.  Benning has to be figuring out what he's willing to do and what his options are.  Whether to bet on Marky or Demko depends not just on what Marky is asking but what other teams would offer for Demko.  If he is leaning towards Demko, great, but due diligence on his trade value matters since he could potentially solve some of our D and/or cap problems.  But so would freeing up Marky's salary.

With all these moving parts, the one thing I don't want to see is a big weakening at RD. 

JB should not sign Tanev. Why? For 3 reasons:

1. Tanev had an outlier of a year where he wasn't injured. And I don't want a 5+ million dollar Dman missing half the year every season.

2. Tanev is 30 and players' level of play usually decrease when they hit 30. There are outliers like Lidstrom and Chara. But they are outliers and you don't pay 5+ million for outliers.
3. We will be paying Hughes 8 million a year after his entry contract is done. I want to see what Hughes can do without Tanev. If I am paying a Dman 8 million a year, this is my #1 Dman and I want him to be able to play both ends of the ice with anyone. If Hughes needs Tanev to be successful then he doesn't deserve 8 million a year. Not having Tanev on as Hughes partner will show me whether Hughes deserves the 8 million or if lesser money should be given to Hughes.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

He is a very poor communicator which is why they hired Linden. 

Not saying I don't like his style he's just down right bad at it.

I'd argue he's bad in front of a camera, not necessarily a bad communicator. the organization sure seems to be all pulling the rope in the same direction.

they hired linden to try to prevent mass season ticket abandonment by putting the most beloved person in franchise history front and center. 

• Vintage 1