The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

6 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why would you have to get rid of that many?

To fit under the cap. Of course there are alternative moves to make it work, e.g. don't sign Toffoli, etc.

The cap is $81.5m this coming season, we have $1.7m in performance overages owing, so it immediately becomes $79.8m for the Canucks. And then you need to factor in approx. $4m in potential performance bonuses this coming season. These can be delayed until 2021-22 but that will be the year we need to give pay rises to Pettersson and Hughes. We won't be able to afford Petey + Hughes + Pietrangelo that year if we have performance overages, so we are much better to try and make sure our $1.7m + $4m bonuses are paid for this coming season.

Also don't forget the impact of Ferland. Even if he is injured, it won't save us any money to put him on LTIR because of the aforementioned bonus problems.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtanen/Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

Hughes-Pietrangelo

Edler-Tanev

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

That's a cup contending lineup.  Sutter can probably be moved at 50% retained, and LE we'll just have to hold our noses and pay up.  Time to go all in with our young core; let Benning work his magic and find some gems in the late rounds.

All of this comes to about $80.5m assuming that you pay league minimum salaries for your 13th forward, 7th Dman, and back up goalie.

The Canucks also have $1.7m in overages to pay, plus Ferland on $3.5m (lets say on LTIR). The money doesn't work.

And it gets a hell of a lot worse in 2021-22 when Petey & Hughes need to level up and you have $4m in performance overages to pay from the previous season.

3 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Pietrangelo is the exact defenseman the Canucks need. An elite two-way defenseman who is right-handed. I really wish the team didn't shell out so much money on bottom-six forwards. If the Canucks can somehow get him, a first pairing of Hughes and Pietrangelo would be ridiculous.

Well don’t sign TT and Tanev and you could sign AP....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If this is true, it’s so insulting to a player of Pietrangelo’s stature. Being asked to accept a deal, without knowing the structure first, is straight up crazy talk. 

The AAV is right in the neighbourhood to me, but the structure issue seems really odd.  I don’t think he is going to get max term and/or a $9 million AAV like some are suggesting.

53 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

To fit under the cap. Of course there are alternative moves to make it work, e.g. don't sign Toffoli, etc.

The cap is $81.5m this coming season, we have $1.7m in performance overages owing, so it immediately becomes $79.8m for the Canucks. And then you need to factor in approx. $4m in potential performance bonuses this coming season. These can be delayed until 2021-22 but that will be the year we need to give pay rises to Pettersson and Hughes. We won't be able to afford Petey + Hughes + Pietrangelo that year if we have performance overages, so we are much better to try and make sure our $1.7m + $4m bonuses are paid for this coming season.

Also don't forget the impact of Ferland. Even if he is injured, it won't save us any money to put him on LTIR because of the aforementioned bonus problems.

I have been beating this drum since last offseason when it would have been most beneficial to move Eriksson.  It would have cumulatively saved more and more money each year as we could have avoided pushed bonuses which become very damaging when you have to pay Petterson and Hughes.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have been beating this drum since last offseason when it would have been most beneficial to move Eriksson.  It would have cumulatively saved more and more money each year as we could have avoided pushed bonuses which become very damaging when you have to pay Petterson and Hughes.

Yes! And whatever it takes to move Eriksson THIS offseason would help pay those performance overages and new bonuses during this upcoming season.

Moving his full cap hit out before the season starts, means that we could cover the total approx $5.7m in old + new bonuses instead of paying him. 

If that is the approach we take (instead of signing UFAs with LE's cleared cap) then we will still have a $6m gap created for next season to help pay for Pettersson and Hughes.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning already said they weren't going into free agency (other than re-signing the big 3). Too bad, nothing to see here as a Canucks fan. 

In all fairness to Benning, I don't think many GM's would have expected Pietrangelo to hit ufa. Teams don't often let D like him walk away.

Being flexible is part of the job, Pietrangelo is a chance to improve our team and whether it's realistic or not you know management has gotta look at it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Guys let’s be realistic here.   AP with Hughes would be the deadliest pairing in the NHL!  However, chances are extremely remote he ends up here!   
unless JB does 5 - 6 years back ended contract.    For example,  4 mil first year, 5 mill second. 7 mill 3rd - 8.whatever mill remainder of deal .... otherwise it can’t work.

JB priority is resigning Toffoli, and Tanev.  I have a feeling markstrom isn’t a priority but gravy is he does sign!  

But if he does sign, he would solidify our 6 D.

hughes, AP, Myers, Tanev, edler, insert rookie here.  Not sure if stetcher will remain. 

we have way too much dead weight for him to come on board.  Unless he clears them.

ok I leave now. 

Edited by sassbs

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning already said they weren't going into free agency (other than re-signing the big 3). Too bad, nothing to see here as a Canucks fan. 

Yes but if you told me, or anyone, Pietrangelo was gonna be a free agent a couple months ago I would have laughed in your face. I can't imagine very many teams thought that was a possibility. If we can free up Eriksson I'd really hope Benning lets one of Tanev/Stecher walk and throw 6 or 7 years x 8m at Pietrangelo. Canada is doing decently well against covid, team is on the come up (he seen it first hand), and who the heck wouldn't wanna play with Huggy? I'd give the odds of us getting him at 5% but with no hockey it's all about dreaming and speculation. B)

• Cheers 1

You'd think a 30 year old captain who leads to your team to its first ever Stanley Cup in franchise history would be a lifetime member of the team.

But nope.  They done Faulk-ed up.  What a disaster the trade and subsequent signing of Justin Faulk was.  Guy only put 16 points this season and he plays prime minutes.  That's actually worse than Stecher (3rd pairing dman) and Tanev (defensive dman).

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

The AAV is right in the neighbourhood to me, but the structure issue seems really odd.  I don’t think he is going to get max term and/or a $9 million AAV like some are suggesting.

Probably to retain buyout flexibility in the later years if his play starts to decline.  

Escrow is going to decrease over time from 20% to 6% by 2023/24.  It's likely that players are more interested in back loaded deals than front loaded ones.  It puts them more at risk of a buyout so they are more likely to ask for high bonus payments late in the deal.

For teams the most convenient is to get him on a flat salary for the full length of the contract and avoid bonuses.  If his play declines then there is more flexibility for a buyout.  Say a 9M salary flat without bonuses - a buyout at the tail end of the deal would be 3M x 2 times the length of his contract.  The cap should start to increase right about then. 

If there are signing bonuses and/or the base salary left to pay is minimal, the buyout cap hit is going to sky-rocket.  

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It’s hard to say, depending on how much he tests the market, and if he’s truly willing to chase the best contract versus the best situation. I could see some teams stepping up with huge offers, even in a flat cap world.

I agree though that $8M is about the range I’d want to be in. But in terms of pure value, Pietrangelo is probably worth $10M, possibly even more. Doesn’t mean he’ll get that much, more just that any team that does sign him will be getting good value, even at $9M+ AAV.

1) Trade Ericksson + Demko to Ottawa for a 3rd pick.

2) Trade Virtanen + Stetcher's rights for a 3rd pick + 2nd if resigned.

3) Roussell is traded on a retrained contract.

4) Ferland IR reserve

5) Baertschi + Lind for future considerations

--------------

Tanev 4 x 4mill

Markstrom 5 x 5 mill

Toffoli : 4 x 5 mill

Pietrangelo: 6 x 7 mill - front loaded.

1 minute ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Pietrangelo: 6 x 7 mill - front loaded.

Haha $7m AAV won't do it! And as mll just described, players won't want front loaded contracts as they are losing 20% escrow in these early years.

Better to lose 20% of a smaller number and lose 0% on a higher number later on in your contract.