The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think a hughes-Carlo pairing could be pretty amazing for years to come, not to mention when tryamkin comes back. Love Tanev but he maybe has 1-2 great seasons left, totally agree with trying to revamp the back end now while we have some assets and to target someone younger.

Yea I think they would work well, Carlo is a great skater for his size. I think signing Tanev would be a mistake. 

With Florida needing to cut payroll, Eriksson for Stralman would be a great trade for both teams. I read Stralman is a buyout candidate - a buyout would cost 6 million in cash vs paying Eriksson 5 million AND having a warm body filling a roster spot. So if Eriksson is valued at 1 million per year the trade would save them 3 million vs the buyout route and $5 million in the non-buyout scenario. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

They would have to add for a Boeser for Carlo trade. Carlo really intrigues me though. Perfect age for this group. Carlo's game with Hughes would remind me of  the Karlsson and Methot pairing. Which was absolutely dynamite. 

yeah for sure. But then Boston has the problem of how to replace a big hole on the right side. I guess if they have a UFA lined up? 

Another thought is that Gaudette is a Boston boy who was a huge Bruins fan and has a bunch of Boston landmarks tattoos.

I would totally do a Virtanen + Gaudette trade for Carlo... we still have to add, but I am not sure how much.

Boston fans think they are in the running for Pietrangelo, so maybe that is their plan for their right side.

I am thinking halfway through next season we could have a defence of big boys on our right side if Tryamkin signs when his KHL season is done.  That is a lot of beef!

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yeah for sure. But then Boston has the problem of how to replace a big hole on the right side. I guess if they have a UFA lined up? 

We could add the rights to Stecher. Or they have Kevan Miller looking at a return who would be a cheap option, neither are Carlo, but could be worth it if they want to upgrade with Boeser at forward.

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Yea I think they would work well, Carlo is a great skater for his size. I think signing Tanev would be a mistake. 

With Florida needing to cut payroll, Eriksson for Stralman would be a great trade for both teams. I read Stralman is a buyout candidate - a buyout would cost 6 million in cash vs paying Eriksson 5 million AND having a warm body filling a roster spot. So if Eriksson is valued at 1 million per year the trade would save them 3 million vs the buyout route and $5 million in the non-buyout scenario. 

Everyone has this perception of what a good pairing consists. How many big power forwards did many of us thought would be great candidates with the Sedins? Turned out the best candidates were grinders willing to skate and get in on the forecheck (Motte would've flourished with them I imagine).

Now that's not to say Carlo wouldn't work with Hughes, but we know Tanev does work. I think it's very possible to have both Carlo and Tanev which would be a massive upgrade on our defense. It would require a hit on offense, but I think we have the depth in that area to overcome that and worth it to bolster an area of weakness for us.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Another thought is that Gaudette is a Boston boy who was a huge Bruins fan and has a bunch of Boston landmarks tattoos.

I would totally do a Virtanen + Gaudette trade for Carlo... we still have to add, but I am not sure how much.

Boston fans think they are in the running for Pietrangelo, so maybe that is their plan for their right side.

I am thinking halfway through next season we could have a defence of big boys on our right side if Tryamkin signs when his KHL season is done.  That is a lot of beef!

Virtanen+Gaudette for Carlo is an overpayment, I'd ask for Beecher back or a pick

I do think Virtanen + Gaudette for Carlo+ Beecher is very fair, but beecher has been sort of unimpressive and I do not know if I would want him, maybe a 2nd instead if JB and co love someone in that range

if we do this, then we let tanev walk and keep stech and that saves enough cap to res ign marky and toff, so if this is the deal then I guess it works

49 minutes ago, Provost said:

The question is do you do that Boeser for Carlo deal?

Even Boston fans say they would have to add in that trade.  Carlo is a good, but not elite guy.  If Boston has cap space but a lack of real dollars, could that add be us dumping cap by moving Eriksson back to them?

Starts getting interesting just thinking about them as a trading partner.

Do they see a line with Debrusk and Virtanen as young wingers as something to start transitioning to being younger?

No, I wouldn't trade Boeser for Carlo.  That is too big an impact trade at this stage for us.  With that said though, Boston will want a significant piece back, which outside of Boeser, we don't have.  I don think we would get a solid prospect back as well though.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Same thing either the ridiculous, never ending 'Dumba!' threads/posts.

It's amazing to me how many people just don't get it :lol:

People need to actually watch Dumba. He doesn't at all bring what we need. If we didn't have a Hughes I would maybe look at a Dumba. Even then, he's overrated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No, I wouldn't trade Boeser for Carlo.  That is too big an impact trade at this stage for us.  With that said though, Boston will want a significant piece back, which outside of Boeser, we don't have.  I don think we would get a solid prospect back as well though.

What does this mean?

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks need more truculence on D. Tanev and Stecher don't provide this.

Edler - Myers

Hughes - 

Juolevi - 

Fantenberg

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Carlo

Juolevi-Tryamkin

Rathbone

You want some size and truculence?  :)

Only right side in the league where Carlo is the shrimp... and by a wide margin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks need more truculence on D. Tanev and Stecher don't provide this.

Edler - Myers

Hughes - 

Juolevi - 

Fantenberg

This exactly.  Lot's of options and this is what I would like to see the D-corpse end up with for next season.

Hughes - Ekblad

Juolevi - Myers

Edler - Tanev

Fanta

Rathbone

Definitely needs some cap magic though.

46 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I just can't see Boeser for Carlo tho for many reasons. But maybe Jake and AG? or Jake + Rathbone + Rafferty?

You make a mistake by trading Rathbone here. Unless he signed specifically to get traded to Boston but why would he. He went out on a limb to sign here. He said himself he was considering staying in College til free agency. Higgins and Johnson convinced him to sign. Trading him immediately after that makes us look bad to other potential NCAA players we may draft going forward. Or NCAA players we target during the college free agency. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

You make a mistake by trading Rathbone here. Unless he signed specifically to get traded to Boston but why would he. He went out on a limb to sign here. He said himself he was considering staying in College til free agency. Higgins and Johnson convinced him to sign. Trading him immediately after that makes us look bad to other potential NCAA players we may draft going forward. Or NCAA players we target during the college free agency. 

I don't know thats a reason to hold up a deal. He hasn't earned a NTC yet. I'd prefer to keep him but if Boston wanted him in a Carlo deal I think you go for it. 

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

What does this mean?

We are probably 3 years away from being a legit contender for the cup in my eyes.  Next year make the playoffs, year after win a round or two, 3rd year when we are out from all these bad deals, take a real run at it.  We don't need to make an earth shattering deal right now, because we don't know what our needs will be, or how or 4 or 5 top D prospects develop, and we have time .  Trading a 23 year old core piece ike Boeser, who has a ton of potential to fill a gap right now is too soon.  We are far more than a Carlo away at this point.

Not sure if this only makes sense to me, but I feel we need to let this team develop and find it's way before trading major parts of it quite yet.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1