The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Canuck fans think Benning is a great GM?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Do Canucks fans vote Benning is a great GM  

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Jimbo786 said:

Jimbo, What can I say,  u draw the line in the sand now?! Haha comical.  This whole issue was created by a rookie and I mean a total rookie with zero experience as a president Vanderlinden trevor! This error was further compounded by Aqualinis forced into hiring homeboy fan favourite Trevor because of fan dissatisfaction at ownership over 1 bad decision of hiring Torts and a terrible season....you see the pyramid.  

Zero experience Vanderlinden hires Benning and Williy....haha lol.  Willy went off the rails pretty quickly, Jimbo did everything to derail a team which had finally garnered cap space,  that lasted untill his first kick at the can free agency. 

I want bore you with all the free agent transactions but, what stood out and was so  hard for me to accept, was to see a guy like Tanev who gave his heart and soul to the organization and was so underappreciated by the canuck organization it hurts my soul to think they drew the line on Tanev??????????????? You gave 5 years 30 million to Myers, you gave Ericsson 36 million, you gave 2, 4th liners Beagle and Roussel 3.25 million over 4 years,  you gave Sutter a 4.25 million 5 year deal.  You gave Tim Schaller 2 year 3.8 million...and you draw the line on one of your best defensemen, 4th best shot blocker in the league??!!!!

Jimbos, greatest summer was replacing the Sedin 110 points and 12 mil in cap space with, Beagle, Roussell, Schaller, replace 2, 1st liners with 3, 4th liners.   They fire an assistant manager who was the capologist...

One closer look at Ericsson's stats and free agency offers in 2016, reveals there was no suitor for him, the Bruins were firm on their offer, in came Jimbo and Trev with buggy full of aqua cash...sign on the dotted line, its almost comical the demise of this organization was Trevor and his inexperience in making critical decisions at Gm/coach I'd even go as far as the worse pro scouts in the NHL. Next year we take 2 steps back and dont make the playoffs, the cap problems have rendered the team in neutral, naaaahh dont blame bumbling hick Jimbo  ....... it's all about Trevor!!!

Sure let's pay injury prone Tanev that kind of money for that term like Calgary did, and you call Jimbo stupid? I'll get a warning for this but whatever, you sir, are an idiot... 

Edited by iceman64

12 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I am waiting on pins and needles for something good to happen here....

Benning has to make a deal now it seems and it better be a good one...

Losing Toffoli  and Tanev must mean he has something else up his sleeve....but...what....?

Yes but what does he have to trade or give up? I dont get how everyine thinks we just can trade. Trade what? More prospects to leave our cupboard even more bare. There really is no direction with this franchise and I feel it starts at the top with the aqullinis. We cant keep trading our picks away for mediocre help now. I honestly just want a sound hockey mind to come in and be GM. We need leadership at the top who have a direct plan and not move all over the place. Benning is not that guy.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 1

Not giving Marky term & nmc was smart. Not overpaying on term for Tanev, who is almost always injured. Stecher is replaceable. But, letting Toffoli walk at that price was a huge headscratcher. There are still some very good Rfa's. Sergachev, Cernak, Reinhart. Could be a trickle down effect after Petro gets signed. Im really left confused. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes but what does he have to trade or give up? I dont get how everyine thinks we just can trade. Trade what? More prospects to leave our cupboard even more bare. There really is no direction with this franchise and I feel it starts at the top with the aqullinis. We cant keep trading our picks away for mediocre help now. I honestly just want a sound hockey mind to come in and be GM. We need leadership at the top who have a direct plan and not move all over the place. Benning is not that guy.

At this point I don't what he can do to make this right....but trading Erikkson to a team that needs to meet the salary cap floor, by adding a 3rd round pick or Lind ...for either a bag of pucks or a borderline NHL'er would be a start....

53 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Not giving Marky term & nmc was smart. Not overpaying on term for Tanev, who is almost always injured. Stecher is replaceable. But, letting Toffoli walk at that price was a huge headscratcher. There are still some very good Rfa's. Sergachev, Cernak, Reinhart. Could be a trickle down effect after Petro gets signed. Im really left confused. 

Unanimous Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

image.gif.6907edceeb4bdee0a57f9f9291f5ef08.gif

Burying your head in the sand? You're feeling guilty | Daily Mail Online

Denial Quotes | Denial Sayings | Denial Picture Quotes

Found this stuff on previous posts from last year, seems appropriate.

A picture can say a thousand words

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This did not age well at all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Sure let's pay injury prone Tanev that kind of money for that term like Calgary did, and you call Jimbo stupid? I'll get a warning for this but whatever, you sir, are an idiot... 

No Iceman, you sir will watch what happens to this team next year, Tanev was a critical part of this D, you will see, that's why Calgary stepped up, everybody in the NHL knows about Tanevs fearlessness to absorb a hit to make a pass, to protect the puck, the smarts....heck he will step in on chara slap shot and attempt to block it...you will see.  Your incredibly short sighted, Jimbo the hick is ...short sighted, Its Jimbos great ability to give gift contracts away.  THe looser in all his Contract give aways, are the Aquilinis, who are in the wake of devastation hurricane Jimbo has caused.  Iceman stop drinking the Jimbo Koolaid! Mark this post!

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I blame Pat Quinn.  I mean none of this would have ever happened if Pat didn't draft him.

Biestra....Your bang on ...i blame Vanderlinden parents in Alberta/Holland for having Sex back in the earlly70s!! See the connection? From Trevs parents to failure in free agency by Jimbo the hick!!!  Do the math!!

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

This did not age well at all.

Not really, he still needs two wingers - another skilled forward and a power forward. Another defenseman who can play defense like a Cernak. Yes he got schmidt for a third but he still has to give up more assets to acquire players. What are those going to be? He made one deal so far but still has holes so dont act like this one trade solves everything and we are fine now. I am still worried he is going to give up assets that we shouldn't give away.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Not really, he still needs two wingers - another skilled forward and a power forward. Another defenseman who can play defense like a Cernak. Yes he got schmidt for a third but he still has to give up more assets to acquire players. What are those going to be? He made one deal so far but still has holes so dont act like this one trade solves everything and we are fine now. I am still worried he is going to give up assets that we shouldn't give away.

Different perspective, we ain't fixing all our problems this off season. This team ain't gonna contend for the cup next year. What JB did has one stop the bleeding and is a step in the right direction. Those other players will have to come from within rather than more signing and trades. That said JB ain't done yet but with the Schmidt trade, we are at least back to being a playoff worthy team again.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo786 said:

No Iceman, you sir will watch what happens to this team next year, Tanev was a critical part of this D, you will see, that's why Calgary stepped up, everybody in the NHL knows about Tanevs fearlessness to absorb a hit to make a pass, to protect the puck, the smarts....heck he will step in on chara slap shot and attempt to block it...you will see.  Your incredibly short sighted, Jimbo the hick is ...short sighted, Its Jimbos great ability to give gift contracts away.  THe looser in all his Contract give aways, are the Aquilinis, who are in the wake of devastation hurricane Jimbo has caused.  Iceman stop drinking the Jimbo Koolaid! Mark this post!

What? So your telling me YOU would sign Tanev to a 4 year contract with his injury record? And you call Jimbo  a dim wit? He signed Schmidt who is not only a very good Dman too but has an offensive side far better than Tanev, without the long history of injuries.. I suppose you think it was a bad idea by Jimbo too? 

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They had a restraint order on Virtanen to keep arbitration down. Next season they can let him loose. The next winger can hopefully be one of the young prospects. 

• Wat 1

I think even with the Schmidt signing the Canucks are still one of the bigger losers this off season. For a young core that needs good players to support them the lack of activity (either due to Cap issues, poor deals etc) is another year wasted. 

While Schmidt is an upgrade from Tanev, he still does not replace losing Toffoli, and, at the moment, Holtby is not better than Markstrom. So really a slight upgrade in D but taking a big hit in Forwards, and losing quite a bit in Goaltending is not good.

I mean The Canucks are probably the first team in history that got worse after establishing it's young core and a successful post season. 

To make things worse other teams around the Pacific Division in that playoff hunt all got better. Edmonton got a little better with Barrie, Calgary has Markstrom and Tanev, Vegas got a franchise Defenseman with Pietrangelo, Canucks were the only team that got worse (or stayed the same at best).

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

58 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

What? So your telling me YOU would sign Tanev to a 4 year contract with his injury record? And you call Jimbo  a dim wit? He signed Schmidt who is not only a very good Dman too but has an offensive side far better than Tanev, without the long history of injuries.. I suppose you think it was a bad idea by Jimbo too? 

Iceman cometh! It's simple Jimbo chose smidt over an MVP goaltender Markie!! See the results next year, Holtby not a good replacement...do Jimbos math...he paid 4.5 for Holtby...he could have paid  4.5 for tanev and 6 for markie...he chose Smidt and Holtby...I say Jimbos math is off!