The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Canuck fans think Benning is a great GM?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Do Canucks fans vote Benning is a great GM  

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

he's not *great*.  UFA signings such as Loui Erickksson, Michael Del Zaster, Sam Gagne at 3 million dollars per year, when infact they are worth 1/5th that, the gudbranson trade, trading a 2nd for Linden Vey, does not help with his cause, but to be fair too, Vanek for Motte, 1st rounder for MIller, Toffoli trade, Trading Gudbranson for pearson, and a good draft record in the end makes him an OK gm in my books.  upgraded from terrible to good in my books. 

I think Benning is great, this team is surging upwards and will be very competitive for a long time to come....Instead of emptying the pantry of prospects to get better, Benning has strengthened it and this ill make the Canucks growth sustainable.

Great is a strong word.  He's signed some really bad deals.  The Eriksson contract is one of the poorest in league history...didn't even get 50% value in the first year of the deal and it was downhill from there.  But Jim's done some fantastic drafting...and a bit of not great drafting.

I'd say a pretty good GM as of today.  What happens over the next handful of years could elevate him to great.

• Vintage 2

Benning has done a lot in the 5 years, lots of ups and downs, but in the end, he's turned the team from a sinking ship to a beacon of hope. A place where star players actually want to come play. People look at the negatives way too harsh, but Benning has done a lot of good to put the team into a position where we can competitively compete for a playoff spot. It comes down to whether he can properly tweak the supporting players and give Hughes and Pettersson the support they need to alleviate the pressure off of them. 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

He is a decent GM. But if he trades for OEL, he will become Canucks' second worst GM. Mike Keenan will always be #1 in my heart

I came here to say this.. If they trade for OEL I will be highly disappointed and trust he actually has no idea what he's doing.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

I don't like dichotomous thinking. I wouldn't categorize him as "great", but I would say good and above average.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Jim the scout/drafter -  10 out of 10

Jim the UFA/Trader -  4-10 

So that converts to 70 % - so close to a.  solid C +

Decent but room to improve. 

I would argue his trading is pretty solid, but agree that is UFA contracts have been pretty iffy. He's had a few good re-signing deals though, like Horvat, Boeser, and Edler.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1