The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Troy 'Tony' Stecher Not Qualified

awalk

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't understand all the rules exactly. Does this mean he can't go to arbitration? 

He will become a UFA on 9 October and can sign with any team in the league.  Only qualified RFAs (ie players whose rights belong to a team) can file for arbitration.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He will become a UFA on 9 October and can sign with any team in the league.  Only qualified RFAs (ie players whose rights belong to a team) can file for arbitration.

I imagine he probably would have gotten more than we'd be willing to pay in arbitration, so this really isn't surprising. 

• Cheers 1

Well I am left with just dwindling hopes that something is in the works.

If Benning knows Barrie or another solid D wants to play here for cheap, I can live with not even tendering a lowball contract to Stecher (as appears to be the case(... but if we miss on Tanev, let Stecher walk, and don’t have a  pretty solid top 4 D as a replacement... that is a disaster.

I have been a Canucks fan too long to be optimistic.  I will try though.

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Barrie

Edler-Rafferty

Rathbone-Benn

Edited by Provost

Guy works hard, but he's a 5th/6th defenseman on a bad defensive Canucks team. They have to improve their porous defense, and how are you going to do that if you're only going to resign the same guys who helped make the defense bad in the first place? IF you're going to do that, then you better resign Tanev, because he's much more valuable than Stecher is. Stecher's not an offensive defenseman, he's not a shutdown defenseman, he's not a physical defenseman. So what is he? He's just kind of there. He can be counted on to work hard, but on a team with a good defense, he doesn't even dress most nights unless there's an injury. I know you need depth/role players, but you can replace him with someone bigger and cheaper. To me, he's just a slightly more skilled, but way less physical Alex Biega = very replaceable. Plus, Stecher is too small. His lack of size wouldn't be as much of a factor if the rest of the guys on the back end were big, but other than Myers and Edler they're not. You can't/shouldn't resign everyone, especially when you need to make changes on a unit that wasn't very good anyways.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why should we care about some nobody on Twitter with 80 followers?

Classic fallacy of the appeal to popularity or 'expertise'.

Popular, well-connected insiders -- or 'insiders' if you take the negative opinion on them -- can be dead wrong on a lot of hockey-related news, speculation, and opinion, as well. I don't care how many followers someone has. If they're on the mark (IMO of course), that stuff doesn't matter. And of course he has a point. Only a blinders-on extreme Benning biased fan would say, especially at this point in the last week's proceedings, that cap issues aren't currently taking a bite out of the Canucks options for next season's roster construction.

It should be no surprise that without being able able to unload Loui et al, useful players are going to have to be pitched overboard. Hopefully, we can dump LE in a potential OEL trade. I don't know many other avenues where getting rid of any dead cap will be available.

As for Stecher, great guy, plays his heart out. But ... bottom pairing guy who Canucks management are rightfully concerned about overpaying, probably even if it was during a better environment (pre-Covid, flat cap, few cap issues).

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This might hold some water if we were talking about some sort of well articulated thought and not a random gif. 

The gif is hyperbole, sure, but the point remains. Many people, even in the current environment, still maintain that cap issues weren't, and even aren't, a problem.

So link some rando on Twitter? The whole point of putting up a tweet is show the sentiments of somebody that does have some authority or reach. Dude might as well just post the gif himself. 

TBH linking tweets, unless some news is being delivered, it's a rumor, or a well articulated thought in which the author deserves some credit, is cringe in and of itself. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

4 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

The gif is hyperbole, sure, but the point remains. Many people, even in the current environment, still maintain that cap issues weren't, and even aren't, a problem.

Many fans are obsessed with the fringe. It's the cheer for the underdog mentality. Sure Troy was a serviceable player but I bet this team has other defencemen who can slot in and provide the same or maybe more - maybe less too but gambling that you can at least replace what you have internally is the name of the game right now.

• Cheers 3