The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Troy 'Tony' Stecher Not Qualified

awalk

Just now, rekker said:

I'm ready for a possible Barrie experiment. But I get the angst. His D zone play can be a carnival at times.

He's just not a need. If we move on from Tanev, who's playing those PK/match up minutes? Barrie?

Are we going to get the best out of Barrie by playing him on PP1 instead of Hughes?

It makes zero sense to add him. He doesn't fit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Drop Em said:

Guy works hard, but he's a 5th/6th defenseman on a bad defensive Canucks team. They have to improve their porous defense, and how are you going to do that if you're only going to resign the same guys who helped make the defense bad in the first place? IF you're going to do that, then you better resign Tanev, because he's much more valuable than Stecher is. Stecher's not an offensive defenseman, he's not a shutdown defenseman, he's not a physical defenseman. So what is he? He's just kind of there. He can be counted on to work hard, but on a team with a good defense, he doesn't even dress most nights unless there's an injury. I know you need depth/role players, but you can replace him with someone bigger and cheaper. To me, he's just a slightly more skilled, but way less physical Alex Biega = very replaceable. Plus, Stecher is too small. His lack of size wouldn't be as much of a factor if the rest of the guys on the back end were big, but other than Myers and Edler they're not. You can't/shouldn't resign everyone, especially when you need to make changes on a unit that wasn't very good anyways.

That's just it though, you can't restructure your D core by retaining everyone. It just doesn't work. 

And I like Troy, I just think we can try and get a better or different fit. Or perhaps we have someone who can do the job for less in the wings like Rafferty or Chatfield. 

• Cheers 1

If nothing else the playoffs showed us that the Canuck d-core was not big enough. I thought Stech played well. Bottom line is that the Canucks had more to gain by giving his ice to a younger/bigger prospect. Few players with a bigger heart so I hope he finds a place. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's just not a need. If we move on from Tanev, who's playing those PK/match up minutes? Barrie?

Are we going to get the best out of Barrie by playing him on PP1 instead of Hughes?

It makes zero sense to add him. He doesn't fit.

Would need to fill the PK hole outside of Myers, Fanta, Eddy. Will see how it plays out yet. Still have fingers crossed for OEL. This would change our team for the better for years. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

No QO and not going to be offered anything spells the end of the line.

making predictions is one thing. Having emotional reactions to predictions is another. So is taking them to seriously. To take another example, why should anyone give a $&!# about an article about who won or lost the draft day on the day of the draft? If anything, they might want to talk about who won the 2016 draft. But that would be too boring for us. We want reactionary takes on things we don't know anything about.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

The fly in the ointment is TJ Brodie who prefers the right-side. He may be a real good option with Hughes. 

Ugh, pass.

I live in Calgary. Brodie is only decent when he’s paired with a Norris trophy-calibre guy. But he’s underwhelming when paired with anybody but Gio.

I say sign the guy who will take the biggest discount to play 1 year next to Hughes, to boost his stock for next year. There are a number of free agents who could fit the bill.

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I gotta wonder what motivates people to tweet this garbage? Nobody wanted Hutton because he isn't very good. Stech made what 2 million? I highly doubt it was his contract that was an issue, but maybe just maybe, it was his QO? The same reason why Benning moved on? 

QO's are based on contracts.

He's suggesting that if Stecher's QO is too high for 31 teams in the league right now, then perhaps his contract was too high.

God knows I'm the last thing from a Benning apologist but 2,325,000 for Stecher isn't bad, if we had a ton of cap space he'd probably be back. Problem is we don't, and so don't a lot of other teams especially because of this weird year. Stech is a victim of circumstance more than anything.

Let's just hope Benning puts that cap space he's not using on Stecher to good use. On this we'll wait and see; not much confidence in Benning on this front based on past transactions.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ugh, pass.

I live in Calgary. Brodie is only decent when he’s paired with a Norris trophy-calibre guy. But he’s underwhelming when paired with anybody but Gio.

I say sign the guy who will take the biggest discount to play 1 year next to Hughes, to boost his stock for next year. There are a number of free agents who could fit the bill.

Interesting take. Good to hear from a guy that watches more Flames games than I.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I gotta wonder what motivates people to tweet this garbage? Nobody wanted Hutton because he isn't very good. Stech made what 2 million? I highly doubt it was his contract that was an issue, but maybe just maybe, it was his QO? The same reason why Benning moved on? 

It’s laughable at best. Lots of RFAs not getting qualified this year. But hey hockey Rob keep your blinders on and keep crying as if Benning is the only GM in the league doing it...what about all the rest of the teams? Sometimes this hockey markets blindness to our team is just damn silly. 

Stetcher as much as I love him is not worth his qualifying offer. Plain and simple. Would love stech back at a decent cap hit. But you can’t tell me he’s worth more than 2 mil when you have better 3rd pair dmen around the league signing for less this year. 

But let’s blame Benning, not COVID for the cap crunch that is going on instead eh...brilliant. Every team out there is freaking out financially right now. Not just the Canucks.

• Cheers 4

There's a chance he comes back just not at the qualifying offer price. Unless some other team is gonna pay him that. Which I don't see happening. Canucks will likely offer him 1.5, other deals around the league will be similar so he'll just come back. Or this is a prelude to a OEL/Ekblad/Cernak deal in which case we're better off. Our defense was abysmal last season. The only d-man I'd be sad about losing is Hughes. Everyone else is expendable or can be improved upon. Especially given the defensive results. Team gave up a metric F ton of shots, quality shots. Our goalies and scoring bailed us out.

If he's gone, thank you for your hard work. If he comes back it'll be at a better cap hit. In which case we're happy to have you.

53 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There's a chance he comes back just not at the qualifying offer price. Unless some other team is gonna pay him that. Which I don't see happening. Canucks will likely offer him 1.5, other deals around the league will be similar so he'll just come back. Or this is a prelude to a OEL/Ekblad/Cernak deal in which case we're better off. Our defense was abysmal last season. The only d-man I'd be sad about losing is Hughes. Everyone else is expendable or can be improved upon. Especially given the defensive results. Team gave up a metric F ton of shots, quality shots. Our goalies and scoring bailed us out.

If he's gone, thank you for your hard work. If he comes back it'll be at a better cap hit. In which case we're happy to have you.

Was going to upvote until your baby with bathwater commentary :P

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Bolded. Agreed.

If neither Edler or Tanev were forced to play 20+mins a night I think we'd be in a much better place.

Also really too bad Myers isn't looking like anything more than a drastically overpaid bottom pairing dman.

Getting Quinn a legit top pairing Dman should be top priority for management. Ideally a Rshot, but if huggy feels like he can play on his off side then you gotta let him. 

Stech plays with so much heart and determination, you love to see it... but I really don't see a spot for him moving forward with Myers owning the 3rd pairing RD position for years to come.

Back to our brutal D. I wonder how much of it is systems related. The whole passive D, collapsing box stuff isn't a winning strategy. I'm really fed up with Baumer's style but at the same time I wonder how much of it is due to the personnel.

So I'm all for investing in a better defense, but if we see the same system deployed with better players Baumer will need to be shot to the moon, finally.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Bolded. Agreed.

If neither Edler or Tanev were forced to play 20+mins a night I think we'd be in a much better place.

Also really too bad Myers isn't looking like anything more than a drastically overpaid bottom pairing dman.

Getting Quinn a legit top pairing Dman should be top priority for management. Ideally a Rshot, but if huggy feels like he can play on his off side then you gotta let him. 

Stech plays with so much heart and determination, you love to see it... but I really don't see a spot for him moving forward with Myers owning the 3rd pairing RD position for years to come.

Back to our brutal D. I wonder how much of it is systems related. The whole passive D, collapsing box stuff isn't a winning strategy. I'm really fed up with Baumer's style but at the same time I wonder how much of it is due to the personnel.

So I'm all for investing in a better defense, but if we see the same system employed with better players Baumer will need to be $&!# to the moon, finally.

missing myers in the playoffs sucked, you could tell it was tough on the nucks, even though he did take alot dumb penaltys and alot of softys from the refs. i like myers, overpaid probs but is effective.

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Bolded. Agreed.

So I'm all for investing in a better defense, but if we see the same system deployed with better players Baumer will need to be shot to the moon, finally.

I been ragging on the coaching staff all season. But sad to say this is the unit we're going to bed with for at least next season. I am hoping maybe the playoffs taught them something. Part of me thinks all it did was fool them into believing their systems are fine and we just need to keep growing as a team, which to be fair could be the play. Even with a better coaching system I still think we could stand to upgrade the blueline. Sad fact of the matter is that means Stech may have to go.

• Wat 1