The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Troy 'Tony' Stecher Not Qualified

awalk

If we miss out on Tanev too, it will be a tough road to replace the right side.

For me, it is who you think you can win with.  Qualify Virtanen and don't qualify Stecher... both local kids, one has had a poor work ethic for years and the other one would chew through a wall to win.  Both have scary arb cases.  

I reverse who I qualify out of those two, or more likely I trade Virtanen before it comes to that.

This is a function of bad cap management, I am sure Stecher signs if you give him some term with a 3 year, $2.5 million AAV deal.  If you can't afford that, then it is the fault of the wasted money everywhere else.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

For me, it is who you think you can win with.  Qualify Virtanen and don't qualify Stecher... both local kids, one has had a poor work ethic for years and the other one would chew through a wall to win.  Both have scary arb cases.  

I reverse who I qualify out of those two, or more likely I trade Virtanen before it comes to that.

This is a function of bad cap management, I am sure Stecher signs if you give him some term with a 3 year, $2.5 million AAV deal.  If you can't afford that, then it is the fault of the wasted money everywhere else.

We'll just have to trust Benning and the management team to make the right decisions.

Still lots of unanswered questions....

Just because he wasn't given a QO does not mean Canucks have no interest to keep him.  

I fully expect that they will try to negotiate a lower cap hit and longer term for him to stay.  Love Stecher, but this isn't a new reality that just popped up, it was consider since last year when Ben Hutton wasn't give a QO.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Agreed, we are seeing the results of poor cap management in real time here. It's unfortunate, despite the good results of some of the bottom-6 signings and the intentions behind it... perhaps keeping someone like Gilman would have been a more prudent move.

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

But... But... why not do the same with Virtanen too???  coz he's more valuable??? 

Virtanen would have likely refused the deal, if the cap hit is too low, and moved on.

Canucks dont have a lot of money to go around to re-sign a lot of players. Hoping they sign him cheap or look at the kids for depth help

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

But... But... why not do the same with Virtanen too???  coz he's more valuable??? 

Why are you outraged about getting a qualifying offer, Jake? Want to go somewhere else? I'm pretty sure you could still get traded, so don't worry ;)

• Cheers 1