The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Troy 'Tony' Stecher Not Qualified

awalk

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Actually, a classic case of trolling by pulling smarm from a twitter rolodex.

And your reply is a classic case of tone policing. i.e. a red herring angle to deflect from the issue at hand. In this case, the poster is not to be taken seriously because he's a big meanie.

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

I think you're under valuing him just a little.  He is a solid bottom pairing defenseman and not a chance he earns under $1mil

I dunno about that. I saw him get beat too many times by opposing forwards in our end. I give him heart but it’s not enough to overcome his physical limitations...

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Word from Dhaliwal who spoke with his camp is that there was no attempt to renegotiate his deal for lower.  He wasn't given an offer at all even at a lower numbers.

If that is true, itis ridiculous, he a a player that you could do well by offering a little term for a reduced cap hit.

The only way that's not ridiculous is if they have there sights on an upgrade and there's no room for him. 

If they lose him and end up without an improved d. Then ridiculous .

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I see him ending up in Chicago most likely! He was a good soldier and will be missed. But I don’t mind letting him walk I’d prefer some more size on the backend in our bottom pairing watching teams getting easy zone entries was frustrating hopefully we can get someone with size that can punish.

I don't think this is a major issue.  He does well in the bottom pairing for his energy level, but he doesn't process the game quick enough to be effective.  He's worth a 1M type contract to us (But someone will pay him $2M I bet) so we have every dime to sign the top flight guys (OEL, Marky, top 6 RW etc).  I think somebody like Rafferty comes in and fills the need for next year.

It’s not that Stecher wasn’t a decent player for us. It’s that Rafferty should be ready for 3rd RD, and costs a league-minimum $700K. That’s a significant savings for a roster spot with limited impact. That frees up money for either Tanev or another top-4 RD, and Stecher proved he’s not a top-4 guy, at least not on a good team.

For a team looking to save cap, it’s just good business.

He can still be re-signed at a cheaper deal. The way I see it is either Tanev is gone and Barrie coming in which doesn't leave room for Stetcher. Or OEL is in, Tanev gone. This leaves room for Stetcher as a third pair guy on a decent contract. 

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It’s not that Stecher wasn’t a decent player for us. It’s that Rafferty should be ready for 3rd RD, and costs a league-minimum $700K. That’s a significant savings for a roster spot with limited impact. That frees up money for either Tanev or another top-4 RD, and Stecher proved he’s not a top-4 guy, at least not on a good team.

For a team looking to save cap, it’s just good business.

Exactly. Business decision. Stecher plays well within his role.

I hope the best for him if another team overpays but, in reality, if he understands his role/expectations with the Canucks I'm certain he would be welcomed back with a salary reflective of that role.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

He can still be re-signed at a cheaper deal. The way I see it is either Tanev is gone and Barrie coming in which doesn't leave room for Stetcher. Or OEL is in, Tanev gone. This leaves room for Stetcher as a third pair guy on a decent contract. 

Don't remotely view Barrie as an option. Agree with the rest though!:lol:

Just now, aGENT said:

Don't remotely view Barrie as an option. Agree with the rest though!:lol:

I hear you. Not many are big on Barrie around here. Thing to me is he wants to be here and after a crap year I'm guessing he can be had on a decent one year show me deal. So why not? It's like a free preview and if it doesn't work you walk away. If it works you extend.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I hear you. Not many are big on Barrie around here. Thing to me is he wants to be here and after a crap year I'm guessing he can be had on a decent one year show me deal. So why not? It's like a free preview and if it doesn't work you walk away. If it works you extend.

Rather spend even bargain-rate-Barrie money elsewhere. 

He doesn't fit in our roster construction. It's only a 'deal' if it's something you actually need.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1