The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anthony Duclair not qualified, rejects 'substantial raise' from Ottawa

Another guy like Athanasiou that it is worth kicking the tires on if Toffoli goes elsewhere.

If he wants to come here and isn’t too expensive, then it could be worth it.  We have a top 6 winger slot and I am not confident at all that Virtanen is going to step up and take it consistently.... right now (Unless things change) I think we probably re-sign Leivo and he ends up there.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Another guy like Athanasiou that it is worth kicking the tires on if Toffoli goes elsewhere.

If he wants to come here and isn’t too expensive, then it could be worth it.  We have a top 6 winger slot and I am not confident at all that Virtanen is going to step up and take it consistently.... right now (Unless things change) I think we probably re-sign Leivo and he ends up there.

If anything I would see him as a replacement for Roussel 9n Gaudettes line. 

He is too inconsistent for the second line

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

Substantial raise from 1.65 mil? Sounds like he thinks he's more than a third liner.

Also, I have a feeling that Ottawa is trying to cut costs and that his qualifying offer was more than his raise.

Sounds like he doesn’t want to be in Ottawa to me.  A perfectly reasonable position to take.

Getting to be a free agent at his age is a good thing.

• Cheers 3

This dude has already played on five different teams at 25 years old. He  seems to be a getting, perhaps unfairly, a reputation for being a headcase. Also this past season, I saw that he had 46 giveaways, versus 18 takeaways. No thanks.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Stelar said:

Maybe he is pulling an Anson Carter. Finds himself a spot that he is successful in and then decides to leave for short term money.

Pretty sure the Canucks lowballed him, but that ship has sailed long ago.

Duclair has been on five different teams already at 25 years old.

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Pretty sure the Canucks lowballed him, but that ship has sailed long ago.

Duclair has been on five different teams already at 25 years old.

Thats my point, he has found a spot where he is successful and is now going to leave.

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Sounds like a trouble maker... Doesn't understand 1 good season doesn't mean anything at all. I mean 3 years ago he was thrown around by 4 teams, unwanted. Good luck with free agency lol. 

He was kinda on the ropes when Ottawa took him. Had a good season in response. IMHO anyone in the Canuck bottom 6 has to be willing to engage physically and I am not sure Duclair is that type. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Substantial raise from 1.65 mil? Sounds like he thinks he's more than a third liner.

Also, I have a feeling that Ottawa is trying to cut costs and that his qualifying offer was more than his raise.

I thought this sounded weird.  Wouldn't a "substantial raise" count as a qualifying offer?

• Like 1

Sometimes a player needs to take a step back, look around, and realize he may have it pretty good playing for a team that signed him when nobody else wanted him.

At one point, Duclair went on waivers and nobody picked him up....I know he had a good season, but sometimes it's better to prove that you can stick and play consistent in order to get more money down the road.

Duclair isn't recognizing the situation he is in and how other teams view him. Going on waivers and nobody picking him up is a big sign.

• Like 2