The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Erik Gudbranson to Senators for 2021 5th-round pick

Just now, grandmaster said:

I just reviewed a couple of his “fights”; the most recent one with Evander Kane and the one a few years back against Ryan Getzlaf. As I remembered, his fights were hardly a show. Let’s not get carried away here. A 6’7 player in Gudbranson ought to of faired way better. If he had won a fight it would be just barely

The guys been in more than 30 fights in the NHL, and you bring up the two that closest (but still don't) defend your argument. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of the truth. And the truth is that Dana Murzyn was one of the biggest speed bags of his era.....or any era for that matter. He valiantly stuck up for his teammates, but he took a beating doing it. Gudbranson has had many fights other than the ones you mentioned. Like PhillipBlunt said, he fought Matt Martin (one of the toughest guys in the league) in a good angry tilt, he fought Tom Wilson (also one of the toughest guys in the league) in another decent tilt, Michael Haley in a good fight, and I could go on. He pounds the guys he's expected to, and he does very well against the real tough guys. And he's definitely won a LOT more fights than what he's lost. Murzyn lost more fights in a year, than Gudbranson has in his career. And he's 6'5 not 6'7 like you suggest.....but hey, again those are just FACTS! 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

honestly, when you repeat this kind of substance-free, attempts to simply assert basic nothingness - essentially, just chirping... all I have left for you is...

Talking Hand GIFs | Tenor

Was this you watching tv back in the day? Lol.....seriously dude, get them eyes checked. I’m not the only one saying how utterly terrible Gudbranson was

Blind GIF by memecandy

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

The guys been in more than 30 fights in the NHL, and you bring up the two that closest (but still don't) defend your argument. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of the truth. And the truth is that Dana Murzyn was one of the biggest speed bags of his era.....or any era for that matter. He valiantly stuck up for his teammates, but he took a beating doing it. Gudbranson has had many fights other than the ones you mentioned. Like PhillipBlunt said, he fought Matt Martin (one of the toughest guys in the league) in a good angry tilt, he fought Tom Wilson (also one of the toughest guys in the league) in another decent tilt, Michael Haley in a good fight, and I could go on. He pounds the guys he's expected to, and he does very well against the real tough guys. And he's definitely won a LOT more fights than what he's lost. Murzyn lost more fights in a year, than Gudbranson has in his career. And he's 6'5 not 6'7 like you suggest.....but hey, again those are just FACTS! 

With a brain transplant from donor Tanev, RealGud woulda' been a badassss-Weber(Sicamous version, not the Swiss one)

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This guy has always had a borderline obsession with Gudbranson and bashing him. 

yeah - there's always one or two or even gaggles of them in here - whether it's Sbisa, Edler, Gudbranson whomever - there are always the 'projectors', looking for a whipping boy - who have stopped paying attention long ago - act like players are frozen in time in the worst cherry-picked anecdote they can seize upon - and hope to brow-beat reasonable assessments by asserting their obsession with running their favorite targets down.  

It's all good - I find it a combination of ironic/sad/borderline entertaining - they're welcome to post their reactionary opinions - I don't tend to avoid taking a run in kind - perhaps I shouldn't bother.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Unfortunately in this society these things play a factor, look up a study.

Well, in hockey, I don't think anyone gives a (expletive deleted). What's the name of the study? "Hockey and Handsomeness: an in-depth analysis"?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

And he fractured Travis Hamonic's skull, but that was probably a draw......

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Was this you watching tv back in the day? Lol.....seriously dude, get them eyes checked. I’m not the only one saying how utterly terrible Gudbranson was

Blind GIF by memecandy

He wasn't good for the Canucks.  Perhaps he made changes and improved.  Maybe he does better under a different system with a different style of play.  Whatever the case, he had a decent year last year, and he goes to the Senators with a salary below his cap hit for only 1 year.  

I think it was a trade that serves both teams needs.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, in hockey, I don't think anyone gives a (expletive deleted). What's the name of the study? "Hockey and Handsomeness: an in-depth analysis"?

He's handsome, charming, seems like a nice guy - easy to root for.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was beside him at the bar once at Craft in the Olympic Village. He is pretty handsome. 

• Haha 3

I always had a soft spot for Guddy... he took so much abuse from CDC peeps... he's a great guy and teammate and it's not like he didn't care when struggling here... but athletes do go through ups and downs and it wasn't his fault he scored a nice contract... I hope he can prolong his NHL career!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The Ducks got a pick in return and moved $4 million of cap in this climate....

Clearly Gudbranson is not a 'bad' as gaggles of sandbaggers on these boards perceive.

In spite of the $4 million cap hit, the stalled cap, the extremely tight cap moving market - they got a measure of positve value out of him in this deal...not neutral value, not negative value, relative to a $4 million cap hit - but moderately positive trade value.

Something for the corsi-gazers in here to ponder.

Good for Gud - and possibly a gud fit in Ottawa.....best of luck to him.

I know that a lot of is including me wished we got more from Guddy - especially when it came to his reluctance to drop the gloves/passive “toughness”, but still can’t help but root for the guy.   Thought we were getting a prime Boychuk but instead a Pyatt type but on defense.  There’s still time for him to earn his cap hit - and hope he does on OTT, I for one will be looking forward to what he does for them. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1