The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, Nave said:

The Central Scouting lists have me giddy. If other scouts agree--and this is a sort of consensus--Clarke or Beniers might be ripe for the picking at our pick. 

If we draft first or second overall, however, I think we should take William Eklund. Would be hard to pass on Power though.

NHL Central Scouting isn't the highest quality scouting, but they work for the NHL, so it is a pretty good reflection of what NHL teams are looking for: more emphasis on size, work-ethic, responsible two-way players, vs. media and fan lists which tend to focus more on skill and upside. Not sure what you mean by  consensus, but real NHL team scouts aren't involved in compiling this list, although some are former or in-betwee-jobs NHL scouts (can't find a list of their scouting staff anywhere). But it is kinda like the minor leagues - aspiring NHL scouts or those who aren't quite good enough to stick with NHL teams will work for Central. Their scouting director was head scout for the Atlanta Thrashers for most of the entire franchise history. Patrik Stefan first overall, anyone?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Anyone know about Dmitri Kostenko?  He is a Russian RHD.

Pretty impressive numbers playing against men in the VHL at the age of 17 and 18.  Never heard of him before but looks like he's committed to the KHL for next year. Projecting as a late 2nd rounder/3rd rounder most likely.  Sounds like he should be there when we pick early in the 3rd round. 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:23 PM, Warhippy said:

Dont get me wrong about Powers.  He has all the tools.

Big, decent skater, decent shot seems intelligent.

But he's also a literal giant among boys.  Remember Chychrun?  Myers? 

He's soft as hell and still gets beat too frequently from skilled players.

For that size and potential he should be lights out but isn't

I mean attractive and all but I'd rather have Brandt myself

Did u watch Chychrun this year?  

8 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

A lot of you like this Clark guy.  Do you think the other fans of the teams above us like him too?  The other teams rates him in the top 5?

I don't think he will fall down to the 9-11 spot.  

He is a RHD, can't see him making it outside the top 5 in my opinion. Lots of lefties on the board and we have lots of them so would be foolish to draft another lefty. We also should avoid more small forwards like Hoglander in the early rounds, but that is just me. Can;t have a lineup full of smurfs, but I am sure there will be a few CDCers who will point out Tampa etc but fact is our team is soft and a short winger being selected in round 1 or 2 would be a mistake imo. 

Canucks need to be Harder to play against, that means we need some size and grit on the team and not multiple smurfs throughout the lineup 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Did u watch Chychrun this year?  

Yes, and did you not read my statements about his evolution?

I wanted that kid.  Badly.

But if we drafted a 1st overall player that took 5 full years to produce more than 30 points with only 2 positive seasons on his stat lines for defence do you seriously think anyone in this organization would be able to walk the streets at night safely?

Chychrun is finally turning in to the player I wanted when his draft came up; but for the 1st overall pick; should Powers trend like him it would be considered a long and loud bust until he actually became a game breaker.  I'd still choose Clarke over him and Powers still gives me genuine red flag issues at the top spot.  

That's my opinion and you can argue it in any way you'd like, I had the exact same feeling about Myers when he was drafted having watched him in juniors for a long while, Nolan Patrick as well.  Powers is not who I'd pick and Chychrun picked at 16 is a fine player for his selection but had he gone 1st overall would be considered a huge disappointment

Ok, I'm bored at work on a Friday morning so I thought I'd play the mock draft game...

BEFORE LOTTERY

Not knowing what the lottery will look like, I just went with current order of selection:

1 Buffalo - Brandt Clarke - Sabres couldn't pass up the opportunity to have Dahlin and Clarke as their top pairing for years to come

2 Anaheim - Matthew Beniers - Way too much talent to pass up a player of this calibre at #2

3 Seattle - Owen Power - An all around, all situation hulking defenceman like Power can help eat up minutes for the expansion franchise

4 New Jersey - Luke Hughes - The connection to Jack Hughes is a marketing powerhouse in the making, not to mention Jack Hughes is an excellent defenceman

5 Columbus - William Eklund - Eklund lands into Columbus' lap.  There is no way the CBJ pass up on him here at #5.

6 Detroit - Kent Johnson - Already in Michigan, this is a perfect match for Detroit

7 San Jose - Simon Edvinsson - Burns and Karlsson are aging out.  Time to add a potential franchise defenceman to their pool

8 LA - Jesper Wallstedt - LA is stacked with prospects, but with Quick aging fast, Wallstedt is clearly the perfect replacement

9 Vancouver - Mason McTavish - With a floor of a top tier 3C, and potential for at least 2C, McTavish brings the size and grit that the prospect pool desperately needs

10 Ottawa - Dylan Guenther - Wow, a steal here for Ottawa.  The weak showing at the U18 sees Guenther drop into the lap of the Ottawa Senators.

AFTER LOTTERY

I ran the lottery once and Anaheim and Ottawa moved up.  A bit of shuffling around, but I still think the Canucks end up with McTavish.

1 Anaheim - Owen Power - Paired with Drysdale, the Ducks are set on defence for a long, long time.

2 Ottawa - Brandt Clarke - Too good of a RHD to pass up. 

3 Buffalo - Simon Edvinsson - The Swedish top pairing of Edvinsson and Dahlin... WOW.

4 Seattle -  Matthew Beniers - Highlight reel goals to fill the stands!

5 New Jersey - Luke Hughes - The connection to Jack Hughes is a marketing powerhouse in the making, not to mention Jack Hughes is an excellent defenceman

6 Columbus - William Eklund - Eklund lands into Columbus' lap.  There is no way the CBJ pass up on him here at #6.

7 Detroit - Kent Johnson - Already in Michigan, this is a perfect match for Detroit

8 San Jose - Dylan Guenther - An excellent sniper to add to SJ's pool

9 LA - Jesper Wallstedt - LA is stacked with prospects, but with Quick aging fast, Wallstedt is clearly the perfect replacement

10 Vancouver - Mason McTavish - With a floor of a top tier 3C, and potential for at least 2C, McTavish brings the size and grit that the prospect pool desperately needs

Critique away :)

Edited by HKSR
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok, I'm bored at work on a Friday morning so I thought I'd play the mock draft game...

BEFORE LOTTERY

Not knowing what the lottery will look like, I just went with current order of selection:

1 Buffalo - Brandt Clarke - Sabres couldn't pass up the opportunity to have Dahlin and Clarke as their top pairing for years to come

2 Anaheim - Matthew Beniers - Way too much talent to pass up a player of this calibre at #2

3 Seattle - Owen Power - An all around, all situation hulking defenceman like Power can help eat up minutes for the expansion franchise

4 New Jersey - Luke Hughes - The connection to Jack Hughes is a marketing powerhouse in the making, not to mention Jack Hughes is an excellent defenceman

5 Columbus - William Eklund - Eklund lands into Columbus' lap.  There is no way the CBJ pass up on him here at #5.

6 Detroit - Kent Johnson - Already in Michigan, this is a perfect match for Detroit

7 San Jose - Simon Edvinsson - Burns and Karlsson are aging out.  Time to add a potential franchise defenceman to their pool

8 LA - Jesper Wallstedt - LA is stacked with prospects, but with Quick aging fast, Wallstedt is clearly the perfect replacement

9 Vancouver - Mason McTavish - With a floor of a top tier 3C, and potential for at least 2C, McTavish brings the size and grit that the prospect pool desperately needs

10 Ottawa - Dylan Guenther - Wow, a steal here for Ottawa.  The weak showing at the U18 sees Guenther drop into the lap of the Ottawa Senators.

AFTER LOTTERY

I ran the lottery once and Anaheim and Ottawa moved up.  A bit of shuffling around, but I still think the Canucks end up with McTavish.

1 Anaheim - Owen Power - Paired with Drysdale, the Ducks are set on defence for a long, long time.

3 Buffalo - Simon Edvinsson - The Swedish top pairing of Edvinsson and Dahlin... WOW.

5 New Jersey - Luke Hughes - The connection to Jack Hughes is a marketing powerhouse in the making, not to mention Jack Hughes is an excellent defenceman

6 Columbus - William Eklund - Eklund lands into Columbus' lap.  There is no way the CBJ pass up on him here at #6.

7 Detroit - Kent Johnson - Already in Michigan, this is a perfect match for Detroit

9 LA - Jesper Wallstedt - LA is stacked with prospects, but with Quick aging fast, Wallstedt is clearly the perfect replacement

10 Vancouver - Mason McTavish - With a floor of a top tier 3C, and potential for at least 2C, McTavish brings the size and grit that the prospect pool desperately needs

I can’t critique 2 scenarios that have us drafting Mason McTavish.  His stock is really rising so we will be lucky to get him.  I feel (based on my gut) we will have the choice between Guenther or Edvinsson.  I just feel that Edvinsson is the Dman most likely to drop and Guenther is the forward mostly likely to drop if Wallstedt goes before our pick.  Guenther is probably the best fit for the Canucks as we need scoring.  Edvinsson as a lefty sounds like he has poor IQ.  All the tools and no toolbox.  Sound familiar?

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I can’t critique 2 scenarios that have us drafting Mason McTavish.  His stock is really rising so we will be lucky to get him.  I feel (based on my gut) we will have the choice between Guenther or Edvinsson.  I just feel that Edvinsson is the Dman most likely to drop and Guenther is the forward mostly likely to drop if Wallstedt goes before our pick.  Guenther is probably the best fit for the Canucks as we need scoring.  Edvinsson as a lefty sounds like he has poor IQ.  All the tools and no toolbox.  Sound familiar?

I'd be super stoked if we got Guenther.  Probably not the popular opinion, but I'd bring him into camp with the expectation of him making the team.  He would develop more in a sheltered role than going back to the WHL where he was 2PPG this year.  Kid has good size and a great shot.

• Cheers 2

Based on stats alone, Power really looks to have come to life in the world hockey championship the last two games. He’s logging a ton of minutes (2nd most minutes a few games ago, and by far the most mins in today’s game) and he’s putting up points too. The best part is that this all against men. 

90BF7979-337B-455C-9FE2-9F6533FEB82C.jpeg

565F1D0D-C10E-4B85-B5E2-650DA9395A70.jpeg

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I'd be super stoked if we got Guenther.  Probably not the popular opinion, but I'd bring him into camp with the expectation of him making the team.  He would develop more in a sheltered role than going back to the WHL where he was 2PPG this year.  Kid has good size and a great shot.

Wouldnt mind him at all. Dude produces points like crazy.

5 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Based on stats alone, Power really looks to have come to life in the world hockey championship the last two games. He’s logging a ton of minutes (2nd most minutes a few games ago, and by far the most mins in today’s game) and he’s putting up points too. The best part is that this all against men. 

Yeah he’s really holding his own. Whoever gets him is gonna get a high minute logger. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

BEFORE LOTTERY

AFTER LOTTERY

Doubt buffalo goes the way of clarke. They are pretty strong on the right side. It would have to be power to help steady dahlin or beniers if they trade eichel

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Yeah Power is the real deal, If a team passes him up at 1st Overall i think they will regret it.  

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:14 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Yes , he has these guys a little low in comparison to where I have seen them in other draft boards, especially Ceulemans.

Morrow (41) Ceulemans (51) Schmidt (61) and Bar (64)....................where is Mailloux?

I love the size of these guys! 

IMO, I this is how you will see it playout........

Ceulemans ( 10 to 22 OA range)

Morrow  ( 22 to 32 OA range)

Schmidt (30 to 50 OA range)

Mailloux (30 to 50 OA range)

Bar (40 to 60 OA range)

Oh, and I see Hemosalmi going in the 25 to 35 range

If we came out of this draft with McTavish, Schmidt and Bar, I would be happy, as it would really give us a step up in our RHD and our aggression. And along with Woo, we would have a very aggressive right side, to go along with a very finesse LHD side.

My biggest concern is not reaching, which I don't think Benning does anyways...............

Now, if we could get one of Ceulemans or Morrow, to go along side Woo, I would be doing the happy dance! :emot-parrot:

But really want McTavish at 10 OA

I agree I think Logan Mailloux would be a great pick up in the second round. If he had played a whole year in the OHL this year I think he would be ranked much higher due to his size and skating ability.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

NHL Central Scouting isn't the highest quality scouting, but they work for the NHL, so it is a pretty good reflection of what NHL teams are looking for: more emphasis on size, work-ethic, responsible two-way players, vs. media and fan lists which tend to focus more on skill and upside. Not sure what you mean by  consensus, but real NHL team scouts aren't involved in compiling this list, although some are former or in-between-jobs NHL scouts (can't find a list of their scouting staff anywhere). But it is kinda like the minor leagues - aspiring NHL scouts or those who aren't quite good enough to stick with NHL teams will work for Central. Their scouting director was head scout for the Atlanta Thrashers for most of the entire franchise history. Patrik Stefan first overall, anyone?

I meant 'sort of a consensus' as it hopefully reflecting what team scouts think. If we draft at 9, Clarke could conceivably drop to us. However, I don't think we will get him if we're at 10 or 11, unless we trade up. Even at 9 it's a bit of a stretch.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

BEFORE LOTTERY

AFTER LOTTERY

Good read and you got paid as well - nice !

Yeah, MacTavish would not be a bad pick unless JB trades it or has someone else in mind.

Edited by ShawnAntoski