The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rank our top 4 Dmen

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Edler should in no way at this stage in his career be in the top four. That is a major problem and Benning has had six years to fix that. He's 35 and our second best left side defenseman. I think after six years there should have been someone who could have stepped in. He should be a third pairing defenseman right now in his career.

• Wat 2

10 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I see that changing next year when we don't re-sign Edler so that we can afford Hughes

They'll have $25m to sign Petey, Hughes and Demko. That leaves lots of room for an Edler extension. 

Edited by luckylager

1) Schmidt

2) Hughes

2a) Edler

4) Myers

5) Juolevi

5a) Rathbone

7) Benn

I put Schmidt as our top guy because he can be used all in situations.   Hughes doesn’t kill penalties while Edler isn’t the greatest puck mover nor PP guy.

Both Rathbone and Juolevi will likely be better than Benn, but Benn will play ahead of at least one of these guys as the designated 3rd pairing right side Vet (assuming that Benning doesn’t sign Vatanen or Hamonic)

• Like 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think you're underestimating just how good Edler still is. 33 points in 59 games, +13, averaged 22.37 TOI. blocked 162 shots and threw 108 hits. That's top 4 on pretty much any team in the league. 

Edler is great don't get me wrong. I just think he is slowing down and there should have been someone who could have stepped into that 2nd pairing so they wouldn't have to rely on him as much. It would keep him a little bit fresher throughout the year.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

They are even , except for two important category's IMO. Skating , and breakout passes. That's a big difference.  No way Edler is better than schmidt.  Schmidt also has better passing instinct. Edler fumbles more often on breakout passes and isnt as accurate with them. 

Agreed with this.  Now I just hope that if Schmidt's the guy on 2nd unit, don't make him do those dumb drop passes

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Edler had a higher points-per-game last year than Schmidt, played more minutes, more defensive deployment, and had way more blocked shots. The majority of statistics point to Edler as the better defender last season.

I expect that next year or the following, Schmidt will be better, as I think the difference is minute, even though Edler bests him in almost all categories.

So he played more minutes meaning had more opportunities to get points , played more minutes and got more defensive deployment. So......played more minutes .....

It's been well documented as well that schmidt played some of the hardest minutes in the NHL for d men....so not seeing how this makes Edler better.

Edited by cuporbust

The position of "Defence" is changing by the season. Is Hugh's acctually a defenceman like a Kieth, Weber, Doughty, etc.?? 

Of course not he's the new gen defender eg. Maker, Heskinen. 

Schmitt and Hugh's is like comparing Markstrom and Holtby. Both are great, but play a different game. With today's NHL I'd easily say Hugh's is better by a mile, but Schmitt could easily be the unsung hero. 

The rest meh at best. 

Hopefully a youngster or two mature asap. 

If you thought our D was exposed in the playoffs, you haven't seen nothing yet. 

It'll be really interesting to see who can crack the line up out of camp.

OJ, Rathbone, Benn... Sautner and Brize all vying for a spot.

Then Rafferty, Chatfield and maybe even Woo battling for that RD spot. 

Big picture is more OJ v Rathbone, Rafferty v Chatfield

with Benn as a possibility on RD maybe?

Oh and Tryamkin's potential return in the new year. That would be huge. 

Hmm, if Tryamkin can actually be a legit top 4, plus Joulevi and Rathbone are looking good.. lmao. Dreaming, but can you imagine having 5 top 4 quality left shot dmen?

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm more excited for Rathbone. Feel like we've seen Sautner enough to know he's not a hidden gem.

Just joshin' around, L2..but yeah, hopeful some of these kids will surprise in a good way. It could be that JB has quickly revamped the blueline with his signature, stealthy fashion.

NHL defensemen

Hughes

Schmidt

Edler

Myers

Benn

I think defensive prospects rank like this in terms of playability in the NHL today.  I Think Rathbone will climb quickly, but today I would go with this.

OJ

Tryamkin 

Sautner

Rafferty

Brisebois 

Chatfield

Rathbone

Woo

Teves

Utunen

Jurmo

1. Hughes - Going to be top 10 NHL D man for the next 10 years, skating and edge work get out of trouble so easy...24 mins

2. Schmidt - Solid #2 logs big mins, great skater, 2 way D man , really noticed him in Washington 4 yrs ago...He will turn puck up the ice fast---logs 24 mins a game--- Schmidt will be on KP and PP - So lucky to get D man like this and he likes Vancouver...

3. Edler - great D man need to reduce his ice time to keep him healthy at 34, now we can play him less 19- 21 mins

4. Myers - like his game last season and plays with an edge in playoffs.. #3 D man but now play #4 --- 19 - 21 mins

5. Rafferty 6'2, 25  or Juolevi 22, 6'3 we will see these guys step up there game big time..Juolevi will push for more minutes, will be #3 soon enough

7. Benn 33 -- Rathbone 22, very very exciting future , Briesbois 6'3, 23

Tryamkin will play in Vancouver once KHL season is over, 6'7, 255 lbs, will look good in blue

Edited by wildcam