The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does LE retire if buried in minors?

Rate this topic

grandmaster

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

they're not dealing Hoglander to accomodate Eriksson - Benning is generally a fairly straight shooter and when he states something as unambiguous as 'we're not spending assets or retaining to move Eriksson' I'd tend to believe he means what he says.

I also don't see acquiring Cernak as 'realistic' although you never know.  I think Tampa would likely expect a team to take a Palat or KIllorn at the very least if they are moving a key piece like Cernak.....We'll see - but I think a more likely scenario would be taking one of those contacts and adding to get Foote - perhaps eating Coburn in the process if we can send moderate cap (ie Pearson or Roussel back in that deal).  I think the Schmidt deal, however, makes these kinds of deals with Tampa a bit less likely - and there hasn't exactly been much cap movement league wide, so until that gives, I don't get the sense a Cernak type acquisition is imminent (which might actually indicate that it is in fact imminent lol, the way dimJim has been operating).

right it could be something like that too, but in order for us to improve that much we need to shed Louis deal, hence the need to include a Hoglander or something of similar value to make the cap space. Its not about accommodating Loui, its about moving in better players. 

So something like Killorn and Foote in, Loui and Hoglander out. Its expensive but we are better off. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

right it could be something like that too, but in order for us to improve that much we need to shed Louis deal, hence the need to include a Hoglander or something of similar value to make the cap space. Its not about accommodating Loui, its about moving in better players. 

So something like Killorn and Foote in, Loui and Hoglander out. Its expensive but we are better off. 

I'd move Gaudette to make that happen - but no way I'd give up Hoglander.   However, I don't doubt Benning when he 'drew that line in the sand.'

He's not playing another NHL game if he does not terminate.  Period.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd move Gaudette to make that happen - but no way I'd give up Hoglander.   However, I don't doubt Benning when he 'drew that line in the sand.'

He's not playing another NHL game if he does not terminate.  Period.

I'm fine with the hard ass approach as well. 

OK...a random thought............

Eriksson was owed 8 million over the last 2 years of his contract

2020-2021....................$3 Million in bonus + $1 Million in regular salary

2021-2022....................$1 Million in bonus + $3 Million in regular salary

So, 2020=2021.......................loan him out overseas.............................off books and bonus has been payed.........his loss will be 1 Million minus his SHL pay

2021-2022..............................invite to camp..........................................pay $1,000,000 bonus.....................loan to SHL.............his loss is $3,000,000 minus his SHL pay

A together, his loss will be reduced by 1/2 at minimum.......................Luoi gets to go home.

Any idea what his SHL pay would look like?

58 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

IF Loui goes as I suggested above..............

I would attach Lind + for Killorn and Foote....................maybe Lind and Rafferty?

Tampa is a world of hurt and they should not be able to talk away scott free, as they have done in the past. IMO, I think this is why you have not seen them trade anyone, as other GM's know this and want their pound of flesh. It is what happened with Schmidt, IMO.......other GM's wanted their pound and Jimbo's offer was the best......that says something about how steadfast the other GM's are.........

Time is running out on Tampa..................

But Benning should go hard on Foote!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

Without reading any of the replies the simple answer is no.   I’ve accepted the he’s here, he’s still going to be used until someone can bump him off the PK and isn’t worth the maximum 300k we can save by not playing him (someone has to replace his roster spot).   I’ve accepted this a year or two ago - the sooner the rest of the fan base does the sooner you can not be effected by it.   If JVs still here maybe he won’t get buried even with Podz.   If he’s not sorry folks - likely two more years.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm fine with the hard ass approach as well. 

I'm not even being 'hardass'.

I'm just reflecting his on-ice value.  

He's a low risk defensive placeholding winger....

He's a secondary penalty killer.

Normally I might consider him worth 1.5ish million of his cap hit....but at this point....

You can sign a better player - ie Brad Richardson - who produces as much as Eriksson - while getting 29% ozone starts in the Coyotes' bottom 6 - a high end faceoff guy - a center - and his team's #1 penalty killer.... 1.25 million.   I'd take him over Eriksson - at equal contract/cap/terms...in a heartbeat.

I don't consider him to have the asset value or make the kind of 'future' sense of a player like MacEwen - and the curve only steepens with the rest of the group....

And I think if we were going to see something unexpected - a resurgence of his game (and production) - we may have seen that by now....repeated seasons, with some decent opportunities, linemates - and completely deserted production (production that is low enough that empty net goals relatively inflate the small volume of production).

It's not 'animosity' or being a 'hardass' that would make me unconditionally waive him - it's a realistic assessment of his present market value...I think it's fair to say he is termination range and a bargain basement re-sign if he hopes to play.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Without reading any of the replies the simple answer is no.   I’ve accepted the he’s here, he’s still going to be used until someone can bump him off the PK and isn’t worth the maximum 300k we can save by not playing him (someone has to replace his roster spot).   I’ve accepted this a year or two ago - the sooner the rest of the fan base does the sooner you can not be effected by it.   If JVs still here maybe he won’t get buried even with Podz.   If he’s not sorry folks - likely two more years.  

FINALLY.

Would you retire at 36 if you actually liked your job and hung out with the boys all day.....no

I mean come on I'd take my wage to be in Finance with the Canucks never mind Loui's wage.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah I probably wouldn't either if I was in his shoes.  What is he qualified for where he will make close to $1M per year for in life after hockey?  Save for Randy Gregg, these guys aren't doctors.  Ain't nobody paying Loui $1M to coach junior hockey or do radio color commentary, and that would be getting off to a decent start post-playing career.  The guy has until his late 30s to make 90% of the money he'll ever make in his life.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm not even being 'hardass'.

I'm just reflecting his on-ice value.  

He's a low risk defensive placeholding winger....

He's a secondary penalty killer.

Normally I might consider him worth 1.5ish million of his cap hit....but at this point....

You can sign a better player - ie Brad Richardson - who produces as much as Eriksson - while getting 29% ozone starts in the Coyotes' bottom 6 - a high end faceoff guy - a center - and his team's #1 penalty killer.... 1.25 million.   I'd take him over Eriksson - at equal contract/cap/terms...in a heartbeat.

I don't consider him to have the asset value or make the kind of 'future' sense of a player like MacEwen - and the curve only steepens with the rest of the group....

And I think if we were going to see something unexpected - a resurgence of his game (and production) - we may have seen that by now....repeated seasons, with some decent opportunities, linemates - and completely deserted production (production that is low enough that empty net goals relatively inflate the small volume of production).

It's not 'animosity' or being a 'hardass' that would make me unconditionally waive him - it's a realistic assessment of his present market value...I think it's fair to say he is termination range and a bargain basement re-sign if he hopes to play.

its hard ass in the sense that some teams would never consider a move like that for an older veteran. But then again, those guys would have contributed a lot more to their teams.

Looking at what Yzerman is trying to do this year I have some faint hope of a move there but at this point I probably have a better shot at winning the 6/49. 

I can understand the caution in what message it sends to potential FAs. But enough is enough!

So let him come to training camp and compete for a job. If he doesn't impress as a high priced talent he is, then send him down.  But he'll probably earn one, as a rested, motivated LE is capable still of turning it on when he has to, using all his experience as a vet to show the coach the minimum he wants to see to get a spot on the team.

But as soon as he falls back into his lazy, shy, dispirited play, then send him down.......never to return. Make it directly about his on-ice performance at that time. Damn shame Toffoli is gone though. It will be maddening if JB can't replace him, and thus be pressured into using LE as a stop gap once again.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Cap savings have improved for this and next year if he is buried in the minors. He was going to be 5M buried if we did that last season. He is now 4M buried for this upcoming and 4M next season. 2M per year is something....

On 10/14/2020 at 4:48 PM, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I believe burying him in the minors brings the league minimum in cap relief, and then that spot must be filled on the roster.

And, burying NHL-capable players in the minors, just when you feel like you are done with them, is hardly a way to attract other talent to come play on your team as well.

What spot?

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Hoglander Gaudette Ferland/McEwen

Motte Beagle Rousell/Sutter

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

That playoff “black ace” in LE was a sure hit. 
10 games - 0 goals, 0 assists. In fact I clearly remember him missing a wide open net, which ironically is his specialty, lol.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK...a random thought............

Eriksson was owed 8 million over the last 2 years of his contract

2020-2021....................$3 Million in bonus + $1 Million in regular salary

2021-2022....................$1 Million in bonus + $3 Million in regular salary

So, 2020=2021.......................loan him out overseas.............................off books and bonus has been payed.........his loss will be 1 Million minus his SHL pay

2021-2022..............................invite to camp..........................................pay $1,000,000 bonus.....................loan to SHL.............his loss is $3,000,000 minus his SHL pay

A together, his loss will be reduced by 1/2 at minimum.......................Luoi gets to go home.

Any idea what his SHL pay would look like?

How does the pension formula play in to the situation if he retires?

1 minute ago, longsuffering said:

How does the pension formula play in to the situation if he retires?

Well...that is a darn good question........

It may well be why he has not retired.......

I mean, those poor old hockey players barely making ends meet! :picard:

Seriously, it is a good question!

• Haha 1

Mgt doesn't seem to be frenetic over the situation. Could it be they have a secret strategy to untangle this morass?

Perhaps on the verge of the season, BroLouiE's gonna get surgery, & enter LTIR status. Could see a pioneering hands-transplant in the cards(that Luke Skywalker operation).

Let's all stay tuned here...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Cap savings have improved for this and next year if he is buried in the minors. He was going to be 5M buried if we did that last season. He is now 4M buried for this upcoming and 4M next season. 2M per year is something....

Nope.   1 million out - league minimum in means the most we save is 300k.   And quite likely save zero by burying him.  Like I said, until we have better options for the fourth line and PK get used to seeing him.  Podz will help this it not even necessarily bump him out.