The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2020-21

canuck2xtreme

22 minutes ago, theminister said:

I will wreck your franchise

This is where your mistaken. We dont get out GMed here in Toronto. Often anyway. @theo5789stuck it to me once or twice. I got him back though, and now he wont trade with me :P

Petry though :o

On 10/30/2020 at 2:46 PM, Crabby said:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Lefreniere Crosby Virtanen

Vatrano Byfield Johansson

Lowry Patrick Tanev

Marody Beagle Sheahan/Ferland

Brodie Fox

Braun Hunt

Reilly Rafferty

Kulak

Korpisalo

Copley

CAPE BRETON MINERS

Vesalainen Caggiula Morrison

Frederic Leschyshyn Joseph

Mattheos Beckman Legare

XXXXXX Chekhovich XXXXXX

Hicketts Davies

Siemens Spence

Greenway Stillman

Ahac

XXXXX

Been pretty busy in Toronto thus far I must say. Lets copare roster heading into season to now...

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Lefreniere Patrick Carter

Virtanen Johansson Puljujarvi

Tanev Fabbri Sheahan

Frederic Beagle Marody

Trade Fox

Hunt Boqvist

De Haan TVR

Rafferty

Trade

Copely

Maple Leafs sending Connor Ingram down to the Miners pending trade announcment. Bolded players are currently on the trade block. If interested dont hesitate to reach out!

CAPE BRETON MINERS

Beckman Turcotte Mattheos

Chekhovich Byfield Legare

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX 

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Davies Hicketts

Greenway Spence

Hults Corcoran

Ingram

Stevenson

2021 Draft Picks

TOR 1st Round Pick

TOR 2nd Round Pick

Trade

ARI 2nd Round Pick

BOS 2nd Round Pick

TOR 3rd Round Pick

ANA 3rd Round Pick

Trade

EDM 3rd Round Pick

CGY 3rd Round Pick

ANA 4th Round Pick

BUF 4th Round Pick

2022 Draft Picks

TOR 1st Round Pick

Trade

PHI 1st Round Pick

TOR 2nd Round Pick

TOR 3rd Round Pick

PHI 3rd Round Pick

COL 3rd Round Pick

Trade (4th)

Trade

WPG 4th Round Pick

We have acquired a lot of youth and have 22 total picks in the next 2 drafts. Giving us a lot of options heading into this upcoming draft and free agency. We feel the goal of a quick rebuild is ahead of schedule and bright days in Toronto isn't so far off!!!

Edited by Crabby

39 minutes ago, Crabby said:

This is where your mistaken. We dont get out GMed here in Toronto. Often anyway. @theo5789stuck it to me once or twice. I got him back though, and now he wont trade with me :P

You don't have anything else I need ;)

Plus you've set Ferrari prices on Pintos (at least for me anyway) :P

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 1

The San Jose Sharks have no intentions of “selling the farm”, but would like to let other GMs know that the following players are worth discussing for the right deal.

OTB:

Connor Sheary (WAS)

Paul Stastny (WIN)

Duncan Keith (CHI NMC)

David Kampf (CHI)

Jake Walman (STL Depth D)

Unlikely to move, but I’m always willing to talk:

Travis Konecny (PHI)

Nick Aube-Kubel (PHI)

Jonas Siegenthaler (WAS Depth)

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)

Jack Studnicka (BOS)

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

@Crabby That is a bold statement to make to @theminister and come back to us when you have won a championship and manage a contending team in this league year after year. If you want to be the man then you have to beat the man.  Buckle up @Crabby it will be a bumpy ride as you are in a division next year with @Azzy @lethunder @winterhawks and myself who have all won a championships or made deep runs to the finals. If you happen to get out of that division then you have to contend with the Metro division with @Mike Vanderhoek @ActionJax09 and @da.moose and @Tony Romo who are all historically a pain in the ass to compete against in the playoffs.

Good Luck! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ty Webb said:

@Crabby That is a bold statement to make to @theminister and come back to us when you have won a championship and manage a contending team in this league year after year. If you want to be the man then you have to beat the man.  Buckle up @Crabby it will be a bumpy ride as you are in a division next year with @Azzy @lethunder @winterhawks and myself who have all won a championships or made deep runs to the finals. If you happen to get out of that division then you have to contend with the Metro division with @Mike Vanderhoek @ActionJax09 and @da.moose and @Tony Romo who are all historically a pain in the ass to compete against in the playoffs.

Good Luck! 

Challenge Accepted GIF by memecandy

• Haha 2

I have seen some teams with a vey long list of draft picks, and I am sure it is a good strategy for some to tear it down to the wood and rebuild and rewire the whole house, but I have questions. Just how do you finish the strategy? Presuming you have 25 draft picks over two years: that means you have 25 twenty one year old's under contract in a few years, leaving just 25 contract spots to ice an NHL level club. Not saying it isn't doable, but of your 25 youngsters there will be a pretty large chunk of 'busts' and 'cuppa coffee guys'. 

Simplified-NHL-Draft-probabilities.png

pretty much half your 2nd round picks and 2/3rds of your later picks won't make it, one in four of the first round won't make it either. 

So I see it as a shotgun approach of sorts, where you generally aim at the target and pull the trigger and a certain % of your shot hits the target while many pellets just sail on by. 

I would be afraid to try this approach becuase paring down the roster to 25 playing pro's and 25 kids over two or three years sounds like a very hard thing to climb out of in year 5 say, when you come to the sorting hat moment of realizing 8 of your draftees are worth having and the 25 NHL'ers you have aren't that hot due to being sold off previously for picks.

It is interesting, and daring of course to try it, I am interested to see if it works, looking at a handful of GM's lately trying it so it should be fun to see play out over time.

Just an idle thought for a wake up cup of coffee here in Madison Square Garden. 

This post is just an idle curiousity, I have no care in the world about the teams with lots of picks, I find it interesting and wish you all good luck in the draft! (and I will say, it seems the kids these days are much better scouted and prepped for the big show, so the odds are probably better for the 2020 draft class that this chart suggests, at least for the earlier rounds. I suspect the 2021 class is not as deep though, due to covid evaluations are all over the place. In any event, draft night for the first round will be a fun fun fun time and hopefully my household has no medical emergencies for the 2-4 rounds the next day!

EDIT: I am certainly not claiming my method is better by any stretch, clearly my club is in the have not column for many years, so I am aware i suck, haha, but looking at the various strategies this one has its advantages I think in the here and now, with back to back covid interupted seasons, if your going to flip the deck, now seems to be the time to do it, so good for the guys who have steered it there, I just don't know that I could pull that off successfully, but it would be awesome to have that many picks: the draft is the biggest fun for me as I go all in on scouting about 100 players via the internet leading up to it. ;) 

Edited by Primal Optimist

5 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have seen some teams with a vey long list of draft picks, and I am sure it is a good strategy for some to tear it down to the wood and rebuild and rewire the whole house, but I have questions. Just how do you finish the strategy? Presuming you have 25 draft picks over two years: that means you have 25 twenty one year old's under contract in a few years, leaving just 25 contract spots to ice an NHL level club. Not saying it isn't doable, but of your 25 youngsters there will be a pretty large chunk of 'busts' and 'cuppa coffee guys'. 

Simplified-NHL-Draft-probabilities.png

pretty much half your 2nd round picks and 2/3rds of your later picks won't make it, one in four of the first round won't make it either. 

So I see it as a shotgun approach of sorts, where you generally aim at the target and pull the trigger and a certain % of your shot hits the target while many pellets just sail on by. 

I would be afraid to try this approach becuase paring down the roster to 25 playing pro's and 25 kids over two or three years sounds like a very hard thing to climb out of in year 5 say, when you come to the sorting hat moment of realizing 8 of your draftees are worth having and the 25 NHL'ers you have aren't that hot due to being sold off previously for picks.

It is interesting, and daring of course to try it, I am interested to see if it works, looking at a handful of GM's lately trying it so it should be fun to see play out over time.

Just an idle thought for a wake up cup of coffee here in Madison Square Garden. 

This post is just an idle curiousity, I have no care in the world about the teams with lots of picks, I find it interesting and wish you all good luck in the draft! (and I will say, it seems the kids these days are much better scouted and prepped for the big show, so the odds are probably better for the 2020 draft class that this chart suggests, at least for the earlier rounds. I suspect the 2021 class is not as deep though, due to covid evaluations are all over the place. In any event, draft night for the first round will be a fun fun fun time and hopefully my household has no medical emergencies for the 2-4 rounds the next day!

Dont need to make all the picks. Use some to trade up if theres a player you like. Maybe a surprising stud like Pastrnak becomes available. Would be nice to have to picks to throw a huge offer out. Could trade back years/trade down accumulate more. All about how you use them.

The way I see it is I have a very good chunk of my young core just waiting to break out. 1-3 hits in these next 2 drafts, with possible UFA signing boosts, I really feel I set myself up for longterm success, and think I could be a playoff team as soon as next year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Crabby said:

Dont need to make all the picks. Use some to trade up if theres a player you like. Maybe a surprising stud like Pastrnak becomes available. Would be nice to have to picks to throw a huge offer out. Could trade back years/trade down accumulate more. All about how you use them.

The way I see it is I have a very good chunk of my young core just waiting to break out. 1-3 hits in these next 2 drafts, with possible UFA signing boosts, I really feel I set myself up for longterm success, and think I could be a playoff team as soon as next year.

I was thinking that must be a big part of the idea, use picks as assets to gain targets outside the draft. Took coffee number two to catch up to that one, haha. 

I think it will be successful too actually, but seems the more picks you draft with over a two year period, generally, the longer it will take to realize results as in getting into the playoffs after the first of the two draft years. Meh, overthinking it, I know.  The biggest upside to a shotgun draft approach is you have a much higher chance of one of those random 34th overall superstars for 18 years in the league kind of guys. It has its appeal. 

• Upvote 1

I am tempted to try to increase the number of self drafted roster players I have from two to about a third of the club, 7 or 8 guys, but that means less trades over time to basically hang onto my prospects longer. Arguably I should have done that earlier to be in a better spot today, but I consider my time in GML until around 2017 as 'the learning curve' haha, followed by three years of trying to get up near compete levels for the East, now that some windows seem to be closing though, I expect big things for the Blueshirts in the coming years.