The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alright......who has depleted their 'emergency stash' of junk food already?  Heh, reason why I don't buy alot of bags of chips when they're on sale (as I tend to eat them all fairly quickly).

6 bags of chips still in the cache!

Edited by Chris12345
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Hotel and restaurant business is slowly approaching point of no return.

Huh? It has existed for hundreds of years. Point of no return...give me a break.

If will exist after this.  Maybe changed a bit....but it will recover just like everyone will recover.

2 hours ago, samurai said:

Okinawa beer - Orion.  Yeah, it is pretty good for a brand beer.   Aooni, that and Yona Yona are my go to as well!  They are readily available and affordable  That is the Karuizawa brewery.  They also make the best black beer I have tasted outside of Guinness - Tokyo Black.    COEDO is a another craft brewery that you can get in the stores relatively easily and isn't expensive.  Craft beer is way overpriced here.  There is a place near my house that is 25 bucks 2 hours all you can drink craft beer.  They got a lot on tap and then a a very large selection of both canned beer and bottle beer that you just walk up and help yourself to - super dangerous place!

This could start of the next new & improved Vancouver rebuild?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/shotgun-jake-virtanen-beer

Shogun Jake in Japananese Karuizawa style! :lol:

Has a good ring to it.  Anyone care to meme...

• Cheers 1

So just thinking about the numbers we have heard about:

Canada population = 38 million

Contagion rate is supposedly 30% to 70% of the population by the time this is done.

30% = 11.4 million Canadians infected

70% = 26.6 million Canadians infected

Possible mortality rate =  1% to 3%

So for the 30% spread rate:

1% mortality rate = 114,000 dead in Canada

3% mortality rate = 342,000 dead in Canada

For the 70% spread rate:

1% mortality rate = 266,000 dead in Canada

3% mortality rate = 798,000 dead in Canada

So there is a possibility Canada will have 114,000 to 798,000 dead from Covid19

image.png.2a50462653b56e6e14808f1493944ecf.png

* from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Mostly people from 60 and up will get hit the worst by far....well mostly 70 and up.

Canada population by demographic:

image.png.161421e3257f1c28a5138c7dbd97b59a.png

So Canada has about 7,000,000 people aged 65 and over in Canada.

...and we may have 114k to 798k deaths with the VAST majority of those deaths being persons 70 years of age and older.

Scary numbers and I fear for my mother and father in law. But the numbers reassure me for my son and daughter.

I am not trying to give any specific narrative here other than trying to understand who the fatal cases will be.

One weird part here is that some young and healthy people are dying and the WHO does not know why yet. I watched one virologist who stated sometimes a specific part of a persons DNA can make them more susceptible to a virus even though they are healthy.  That part is speculation at this point...

OK...I have thought about this way too much.

image.png

Edited by Kanukfanatic

5 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Pretty sick and tired about hearing how the flu kills more people than Covid19.  Yes, more people die from the flu every year but more people get the flu than covid19.    It is the mortality rate that is more important.   Covid19 death rate is from 3 to 8% while the flu death is .01%.  If the same number of people get covid19 as the number get the flu, the number of deaths will be astronomically higher.  It will be in the millions.

And this year's flu will not take the season off, so COVID is on top of the "normal flu" numbers.