The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Even if we're miraculously and relatively in the clear by May in Canada, the concerning thing is the 24 US teams that may not be quite ready by then...

So you’re saying there’s a chance that a Canadian team will win the Stanley cup this year:gocan:

6AD56B16-344D-4E0C-9BBA-7AB95A69C884.png

15 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Pretty sick and tired about hearing how the flu kills more people than Covid19.  Yes, more people die from the flu every year but more people get the flu than covid19.    It is the mortality rate that is more important.   Covid19 death rate is from 3 to 8% while the flu death is .01%.  If the same number of people get covid19 as the number get the flu, the number of deaths will be astronomically higher.  It will be in the millions.

We don't really know what the numbers will be with covid19, as it's a brand new virus and may even be mutating along the way.  Also, the flu stats include the entire world, including the 3rd world countries.  Right now, we have no real idea of what the count is in the undeveloped nations.  There is little testing or appropriate medical equipment available, as well as a horrific lack of medical systems; creating an overall unhealthy population in those countries.  Africa, South America, Central America, Mid East, Asia, all with massive populations, will suffer horribly.

All we can do is hope that a vaccine will come along before these countries are decimated. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh? It has existed for hundreds of years. Point of no return...give me a break.

If will exist after this.  Maybe changed a bit....but it will recover just like everyone will recover.

Hotel industry has been hurting for a very long time and restaurant revenue for the most part has been in decline.

Company that I currently work has been in business for 50 years and last 10 years revenue has been steady declining.

Out of 900 employees, we only have 12 people still working.

I worked for iconic 1500 room Hilton property that was open since 1927, after September 11th we dropped to under 10% percent occupancy for a long time. It is still open but it has never recovered.
I used to work for and manage restaurants with 20 million plus in revenue back in the 1990s it has never gotten back to those numbers again.

Yes there still will be hotels and restaurants after this but overwhelming number of companies will go out of business and never recover. Millions of those that get paid hourly in the service industry will never come back after this hardship.

If you have lot of time I can share lot of stats and stories since I got close to 30 years in hospitality and most of my friends work in the business.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Pretty sick and tired about hearing how the flu kills more people than Covid19.  Yes, more people die from the flu every year but more people get the flu than covid19.    It is the mortality rate that is more important.   Covid19 death rate is from 3 to 8% while the flu death is .01%.  If the same number of people get covid19 as the number get the flu, the number of deaths will be astronomically higher.  It will be in the millions.

just saying I didn't realize the flu killed so many people in a year...staggering!

22 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

anyone look into the financial aid stuff?

Lets say you get laid off can you apply for the benefit instead of using your ei?

Yes, and if you are still unemployed after 4 months then you apply for regular ei

• Thanks 1

Taken from another hockey board (from 'zeke'):

"I did some stats.

USA 5 Day Average number of Covid Deaths since first death:

Day 01-05: 2.6/day
Day 06-10: 4.6/day
Day 11-15: 9.8/day
Day 16-20: 42.8/day
Day 21-25: 198.8/day"

:o

"We'll be open for business on Easter!"......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How quickly humans descend into animals. 

I Imagine right now that it is the already in place human-animals doing these things.

I ran some Liq stores in van for a while. We were hit by thieves daily. These same people are now probably taking the opportunity of  weakened targets.

When we see regular Joes descending to this, we got problems.

• Upvote 3

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Has chloroquine become the toilet paper of medications?
Heard a news story about Poor dude who was being prescribed this and can’t find it anywhere because a certain someone has suggested that it may be the cure for Covid 19. 

Is that what has old folk buying and dying from something that is used in an aquarium? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Has chloroquine become the toilet paper of medications?
Heard a news story about Poor dude who was being prescribed this and can’t find it anywhere because a certain someone has suggested that it may be the cure for Covid 19. 

Someone should tell Trump that a big glass of bleach is a cure.

• Like 1