The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Aren't players subject to being tested frequently?  That option isn't available for the average citizen so I don't see how it's comparable.

For that example, I'm saying it makes little sense to have coaches wear masks when the players don't. Coaches are subject to testing too, but they wear masks just for better PR.

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Unless 'everyone you know' has been tested, nobody knows if they have had Omicron.  It's not like the common cold has disappeared off the face of the earth and the symptoms are very similar.  Sure, it is a highly contagious virus and there's a huge number of people getting infected, but without being tested, we'll never know the real numbers.

The only reason the medical system is still relatively intact, is because of the high Canadians that chose to be vaccinated. 

In the US, they are taking a different route because they vaccine rate is too low(65%) to support any attempt at herd immunity.  Basically, in the majority of states, mandates and protocols have been thrown out the window.  The way things are going in the States, I would think they will reach herd immunity by Easter. 

Unfortunately, 2600 people are dying each day (increased by 30% in the past 2 weeks to achieve this goal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/us/us-covid-deaths.html

Of course, the notion that achieving herd immunity will bring the pandemic to an end is not a sure thing.  I did hear a report on NPR last night that some studies are showing that the combinations of being infected by Covid twice  or fully vaccinated and being infected (Omnicron) may encourage a much stronger immunity.  Fingers crossed!

Every exposure is a boost whether it is infection or immunization.  Now not every boost provides a significant benefit as timing is important.  It is better defined for immunizations what that boost is and what the timing needs to be.

There have been some suggestions that Omicron infection really doesn't do much to prevent from infection from the earlier strains but Omicron has become so dominant that hopefully should only be an issue in isolated cases or pockets.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

For that example, I'm saying it makes little sense to have coaches wear masks when the players don't. Coaches are subject to testing too, but they wear masks just for better PR.

Many things are just for optics.  That's just how the world works.  It's like that overused slogan "our hearts & prayers are for..." when something bad happens.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Unless 'everyone you know' has been tested, nobody knows if they have had Omicron.  It's not like the common cold has disappeared off the face of the earth and the symptoms are very similar.  Sure, it is a highly contagious virus and there's a huge number of people getting infected, but without being tested, we'll never know the real numbers.

The only reason the medical system is still relatively intact, is because of the high Canadians that chose to be vaccinated. 

In the US, they are taking a different route because they vaccine rate is too low(65%) to support any attempt at herd immunity.  Basically, in the majority of states, mandates and protocols have been thrown out the window.  The way things are going in the States, I would think they will reach herd immunity by Easter. 

Unfortunately, 2600 people are dying each day (increased by 30% in the past 2 weeks to achieve this goal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/us/us-covid-deaths.html

Of course, the notion that achieving herd immunity will bring the pandemic to an end is not a sure thing.  I did hear a report on NPR last night that some studies are showing that the combinations of being infected by Covid twice  or fully vaccinated and being infected (Omnicron) may encourage a much stronger immunity.  Fingers crossed!

So many ifs here when the massive anecdotal evidence points to a fairly typical endemic stage of a virus that by now is another cold/flu. So taking an epidemiological approach as opposed to an immunological one won't work, and it's not sustainable after two years and it not working anyway. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Public opinion? What a joke.

Professional medical experts will decide when to lift restrictions.

Not a small group of truckers, or a smaller group of neo nazis, or a similarly sized group of people attempting to overthrow a democratically elected government.

Fwiw public opinion is what allowed restrictions in the first place. The public would only go along with it if there was public assistance installed. Now that it's no longer needed, or close to not being needed, there are likely a few folks out there that would still like public assistance anyway. 

Nobody is honestly pretending that neo nazis are in a position to form public policy. This would be referring to the majority of Canadians. Can't ignore majority rule for too much longer or the political trouble will just be too much to bear.

So a few weeks? Not sure. I mean it's not like public health authorities haven't all been trending this way anyway even with using 'science' as the reasoning. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Fwiw public opinion is what allowed restrictions in the first place. The public would only go along with it if there was public assistance installed. Now that it's no longer needed, or close to not being needed, there are likely a few folks out there that would still like public assistance anyway. 

Nobody is honestly pretending that neo nazis are in a position to form public policy. This would be referring to the majority of Canadians. Can't ignore majority rule for too much longer or the political trouble will just be too much to bear.

So a few weeks? Not sure. I mean it's not like public health authorities haven't all been trending this way anyway even with using 'science' as the reasoning. 

Most of the public is willing to listen to professionals instead of anecdotal BS.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

So many ifs here when the massive anecdotal evidence points to a fairly typical endemic stage of a virus that by now is another cold/flu. So taking an epidemiological approach as opposed to an immunological one won't work, and it's not sustainable after two years and it not working anyway. 

I'm not sure "massive" and "anecdotal" belong beside each other in a sentence....:unsure:

.... it's kind of like saying "billions of outliers".....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 4

50 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

No longer needed?  I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but you might want to readjust your search parameters

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The women's hockey team wore masks against the Russians and won.  Tell us again that you can't wear a mask picking up your groceries.   

FK_xf51X0AwgjCo.jpeg

They could have beat them with a full scuba tank and scuba mask on…

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

It should make sense though.

Another example is making the NHL coaches wear a mask when none of the players are.

To be clear, I'm not advocating to get rid of masks. Just that some of the requirements give an illusion of care/safety, rather than actual protection.

Masks are to help PREVENT the POTENTIAL SPREAD of Covid...it's not to give an illusion, holy crap some people are just ignorant and clueless after 2 years of this!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Most of the public is willing to listen to professionals instead of anecdotal BS.

The professionals are also noting these massively-applied anecdotes, as they apply to them as well. I'm not sure why this argument is even being used considering omicron's spread. What part of we're all getting it isn't clear by now?  The WHO has indicated that a while ago. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The women's hockey team wore masks against the Russians and won.  Tell us again that you can't wear a mask picking up your groceries.   

FK_xf51X0AwgjCo.jpeg

Tell us first which Nhl or any other of our leagues' teams will adopt that nonsense?

If the Olympics in China proves anything it's that zero covid policy is impossible with omicron and the vast resources spent on trying to deny it will be a global joke. Worse, saying that there will lead to punishment. 

... Meanwhile the UK celebrated their Queen's 70yr reign with zero restrictions...

So we def. know why China will never be the world leader nation. 

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

37 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I workout every morning for an hour wearing a mask.

Even on cardio days when I run for 10k on the treadmill. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

FK_xf51X0AwgjCo.jpeg

Well they had good reason to wear the masks initially as "Team Russia" weren't exactly forthcoming on test results. Didn't Poutine say "no Covid in Russia"?  :P

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Masks are to help PREVENT the POTENTIAL SPREAD of Covid...it's not to give an illusion, holy crap some people are just ignorant and clueless after 2 years of this!

I'm well aware, and I'm in no way advocating to abolish masks.

Just saying that in certain circumstances it does not make sense. Such as making an NHL coach wear a mask when the players don't.

The mask in that scenario is just for optics.

Edited by Master Mind