The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I am not a parent making these decisions so my opinion is probably not worth much but I would never put my kids back in school in this situation. I remember volunteering to be with special education grade 8'ers in a 7/8 split when I was kid. Just me and the 8 of us. Best school year ever. It's not like you're learning anything that important anyway, (i learned how to carve ACDC in my arm with a staple that year and cumulus clouds are my favourite) the biggest thing is you don't want your child left behind. If no one goes, no one gets left behind.

It's a lot of lazy parents, lazy planners, and complacent people that make these decisions who are getting restless because their cash flow isn't coming in and children hinder that. So, let's babysit them in school and set the Country back a year or two so 20% of the world can get back to riding on our shoulders.

How is it that a somewhat financially irresponsible person such as myself could make sacrifices to get by yet the supposedly responsible people are sending there children off to exposure of a lethally viral disease.

This is exactly why our political system needs to be changed. To be honest this is what the world really needs. Put the brakes on and stop taking advantage of each other for a year. Is it too much to ask? Probably.

Edited by Gawdzukes

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I am not a parent making these decisions so my opinion is probably not worth much but I would never put my kids back in school in this situation. I remember volunteering to be with special education grade 8'ers in a 7/8 split when I was kid. Just me and the 8 of us. Best school year ever. It's not like you're learning anything that important anyway, (i learned how to carve ACDC in my arm with a staple that year and cumulus clouds are my favourite) the biggest thing is you don't want your child left behind. If no one goes, no one gets left behind.

It's a lot of lazy parents, lazy planners, and complacent people that make these decisions who are getting restless because their cash flow isn't coming in and children hinder that. So, let's babysit them in school and set the Country back a year or two so 20% of the world can get back to riding on our shoulders.

How is it that a somewhat financially irresponsible person such as myself could make sacrifices to get by yet the supposedly responsible people are sending there children off to exposure of a lethally viral disease.

This is exactly why our political system needs to be changed. To be honest this is what the world really needs. Put the brakes on and stop taking advantage of each other for a year. Is it too much to ask? Probably.

What do you think will be resolved in a year?

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

What do you think will be resolved in a year?

I have faith that human beings will come up with a cure or vaccination. (Only because the rich need to get richer and they can't live without being the boss) We're to intrinsically motivate not to. 

If they don't that bodes well for me because I don't do soft science. I can live without the make-up, haircuts, nail polish and the bull$&!# everyone needs to get by. To be honest a shutdown is the best thing this world and people could hope for, but we won't do it even in a pandemic because rich gotta be rich.

Edit: Which makes me laugh out loud at the second amendment, if you haven't taken up arms to usurp this stupid government and fix your country why are you allowed you carry A50's and slaughter people at will without using the amendment for what it is meant for? It's going to be ugly when they go down. I say close our borders from these fools for good.100 years of self killing and they're still that stupid. :picard:

Edited by Gawdzukes

16 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Please forgive my narrow mindset by why do I give a $hit if 100M Americans aren't vaccinated if I am?

Some of them will eventually make their way up here. Or some of us will eventually make our way down there. It’s important that as many people as possible around the world get the vaccine. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gallup poll results in USA indicated 100 million americans would not take a Covid Vaccine that was free of charge......

I'm definitely not antivax but I wouldn't take a vaccine that was rushed through just to get it out there. 

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Some of them will eventually make their way up here. Or some of us will eventually make our way down there. It’s important that as many people as possible around the world get the vaccine. 

Oh I'm going down there eventually but again if I am vaccinated why does it matter if others aren't?

Would I carry the virus back?

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh I'm going down there eventually but again if I am vaccinated why does it matter if others aren't?

Would I carry the virus back?

Those people can still transmit the virus, here and down there. It’s not just about you right? 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so very sad for my granddaughter Addy,  her mom passed away when she was 3 weeks old, so she has  only her daddy and brother, she is now 5years old, she had been going to day care until covid started. i don't know if any of you have heard that a little boy was with the daycare out in yarrow  exploring when a tree fell on him and killed him, he was 5 too. Addy really liked this boy, they were best buds. poor Addy has been crying all day.  RIP little Weston!  

I can't even....

We're supposed to bury our parents...not the other way around...:sadno:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Wait so families whos parents work, take jobs that work around school hours so they can continue to work, bringing in an income and provide a roof and food for their family are suddenly lazy?  I work earlier mornings and by the time my kid ends up in elementary school I hope to have an even earlier shift so I can work, my wife can drop my kid off at school and I can pick him up each day.  So that makes us lazy parents to try and put them in school so they can learn while we both work and put a roof over our kids head and keep their bellies full?

And you're acting like these kids aren't hanging out with each other all day anyways.  Talked with a guy from work and he kept his kids home for a while at the beginning but eventually his middle/high school kids just started going and seeing friends anyways at each other homes.  

And if you put the brakes on everything, hows anyone going to afford anything.  People are about to get evicted for not paying rent, people are pushing back their mortgages right now to composate for loss of income and its going to hit them HARD later on as its not a free bump from the banks.  

24 minutes ago, Russ said:

Wait so families whos parents work, take jobs that work around school hours so they can continue to work, bringing in an income and provide a roof and food for their family are suddenly lazy?  I work earlier mornings and by the time my kid ends up in elementary school I hope to have an even earlier shift so I can work, my wife can drop my kid off at school and I can pick him up each day.  So that makes us lazy parents to try and put them in school so they can learn while we both work and put a roof over our kids head and keep their bellies full?

And you're acting like these kids aren't hanging out with each other all day anyways.  Talked with a guy from work and he kept his kids home for a while at the beginning but eventually his middle/high school kids just started going and seeing friends anyways at each other homes.  

And if you put the brakes on everything, hows anyone going to afford anything.  People are about to get evicted for not paying rent, people are pushing back their mortgages right now to composate for loss of income and its going to hit them HARD later on as its not a free bump from the banks.  

I agree schools opening is. good thing...  Just don't put our kids and school staffs at risk of dying please.

BC gov needs to spend the money and do it right ( safe )

This time the BC gov needs to at least buy each classroom a bottle of hand sanitizer...  as a minimum safety item.

30 -32 kids and adults in a poorly ventilated room all day .. no windows.. no masks... no PPE makes no sense.

I wonder if the BC Fed of Labour gets involved to protect school staff' lives.   Job action in Sept is a very real possiblity....  so then unionized parents may be off anyways...

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree schools opening is. good thing...  Just don't put our kids and school staffs at risk of dying please.

BC gov needs to spend the money and do it right ( safe )

This time the BC gov needs to at least buy each classroom a bottle of hand sanitizer...  as a minimum safety item.

30 -32 kids and adults in a poorly ventilated room all day .. no windows.. no masks... no PPE makes no sense.

I wonder if the BC Fed of Labour gets involved to protect school staff' lives.   Job action in Sept is a very real possiblity....  so then unionized parents may be off anyways...

What room has no windows?  Gotta find an old ass school because theres NO way that would ever be to code.  All the schools I went to had plenty of windows.  And I am sure there will be sanitizer, simple things like that I am sure classrooms will be stocked with, not like we ever didn't have soap or paper, etc when I was in school.  In June my buddy went back to school to teach, and he couldn't believe how much they had upped the cleaning compared to prior.  

1 hour ago, Russ said:

What room has no windows?  Gotta find an old ass school because theres NO way that would ever be to code.  All the schools I went to had plenty of windows.  And I am sure there will be sanitizer, simple things like that I am sure classrooms will be stocked with, not like we ever didn't have soap or paper, etc when I was in school.  In June my buddy went back to school to teach, and he couldn't believe how much they had upped the cleaning compared to prior.  

Sorry but BC highschools do sometimes have  classrooms with no  windows.  

BC schools clean - are you serious ?

BC worksafe regulations should apply to schools.  School staff are BC workers... schools should not be exempt from BC worksafe regs....

Yes, the opening of BC schools needs to happen... BUT it needs to happen in a way that keeps kids and staff safe. 

Just so you know what we all don't want to see happen here....

At least 41 schools in Berlin have reported that students or teachers have become infected with the coronavirus not even two weeks after schools reopened in the German capital.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-coronavirus-cases-reported-at-41-schools-in-berlin/

Edited by kingofsurrey

Also today. - healthy young person with no underlying conditions...  Very sad to read this. 

Montreal teen dies of COVID-19, becoming Quebec's first under-20 victim

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-teen-dies-of-covid-19-becoming-the-first-under-20-victim-in-quebec

Edited by kingofsurrey