The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Alaska Senator refuses to wear a mask and is banned from Alaska Airlines. She has to get to Juneau so she is driving but ironically either route takes her through Canada. Hopefully she is not permitted into Canada as she has demonstrated her intentions to defy restrictions.

Alaska Airlines bans Eagle River lawmaker for violating COVID-19 mask policy

JUNEAU — Alaska Airlines said Saturday that it has banned state Sen. Lora Reinbold, R-Eagle River, from its flights for continuing to refuse to follow mask-wearing requirements for travelers.

“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson said by email.

“This suspension is effective immediately, pending further review. Federal law requires all guests to wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times during travel, including throughout the flight, during boarding and deplaning, and while traveling through an airport,” he said.

The ban cast uncertainty on how Reinbold might rejoin the Alaska Senate when legislative work resumes Monday. No other airline has regularly scheduled direct flights between Anchorage and Juneau.

But it appeared as though Reinbold was pursuing an alternate travel solution: On Saturday night, Reinbold told an anti-mask group that she was “en route to Juneau” and had pulled her car over to the side of the road to talk.

“I have an unexpected trip that I am taking that is a little bit confidential,” Reinbold told the group. She did not answer a text message asking whether she was driving to Haines or Skagway, which had scheduled ferry service to Juneau on Sunday afternoon. Driving to either location requires going through Canada, which has implemented strict pandemic travel restrictions.

Thompson, with Alaska Airlines, said the length of Reinbold’s ban will be determined after a review. Alaska Airlines has banned 506 people as of Friday.

Reinbold said in a message to a Daily News reporter Saturday — after telling the anti-mask group she was en route to Juneau by car — that she had not been notified of a ban.

Thompson said he was not able to provide a copy of the notice sent to Reinbold, “but the notice was received.”

“I hope to be on an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future,” Reinbold said earlier Saturday.

Reinbold has been vocal in her objections to COVID-19 mitigation measures in the Alaska Capitol and in public and has repeatedly objected to Alaska Airlines’ mask policy, which was enacted in 2020 before the federal government began requiring masks aboard aircraft and public transportation earlier this year.

Last year, she referred to airline staff as “mask bullies” and the airline itself as “part of mask tyranny” after being asked by Alaska Airlines flight attendants to wear a mask aboard a flight. After the incident, she sent a cake to some airline flight attendants. The cake bore an inscription saying, “I’m sorry if I offended you.”

The airline’s ban comes after an incident this week at Juneau International Airport in which Reinbold was recorded apparently arguing with airport and Alaska Airlines staff about the mask policies.

A video posted to social media by the Alaska Landmine website appears to show part of the incident. A Juneau Police Department officer responded to the scene.

“JPD has an officer staffed at the airport full time, so we would be present or in the area of any issues there, but we didn’t take any enforcement action,” said Lt. Krag Campbell, a spokesman for the department.

The airport’s manager said surveillance video of the incident would be released only by court order.

Reinbold addressed the situation in a text message.

“I was reasonable with all Alaska Airlines employees,” she said. “I have been flying on Alaska Air for decades and am an MVP Gold (frequent flyer). I inquired about mask exemption with uptight employees at the counter.”

She said the timing of the complaint “and a specific employee” is of keen interest.

“I have been assured this (will) be looked into,” she said.

Reinbold was able to board a flight to Anchorage and said it was a “pleasant, safe flight with happy flight attendants and great, talented pilots.”

Lawmakers can participate in committee meetings by teleconference but cannot vote on the House or Senate floor remotely under current procedures.

2 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Robyn Lehber speaks out about mental health effects of covid

everything he says there is true, I’ve had 2 friends lose their teenage children to suicide because of this pandemic and have had 1 close friend commit suicide and 3 friends die of drug overdoses due to depression from losing their businesses because of covid. I haven’t lost a single friend or family member to covid but I know some have (but most lost were elderly not young, why do think they stopped publishing the ages of people who died in their statistics) The cure is worse than the disease and it’s time to end all of this, if your under 45 and without co-morbidities you should living your life as normal, while taking precautions you deem fit, It needs to be on the individual to asses their risk and act accordingly. The mental health affects of these wrong policies are causing increasing instances of: suicide, overdose, domestic violence and other mental diseases. At the beginning they said 2 weeks, than it was 30 days, enough is enough it’s time to get back to normal, protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us continue with our lives. 

Yes, if everyone just live as they like. Look at US, 570,000+ dead and near 1000 deaths daily still despite wide spread vaccination. India, doing what they like, have large political rallies and religious mass gatherings, now approx 3000 deaths per day, over 300,000 cases a day, nearly 200,000 dead, hospitals collapsed, people dying on the streets, as well as deaths among children and young adults becuase hospitals cannot treat anything.  Brazil over 390,000+ dead, 100,000+ cases per day, over 4000 dead per day, hospitals collapsed. 

The situation now in Canada is what happens when people do what they want, international travel etc. ON hopsitals and ICU under stress now like never before.  Yeah, this is the time to open up and let it rip. 

Mental health is a problem. Not everything is directly due to covid disease. But that's what a pandemic does to the world.  It is not "the cure is worse than the disease".  It's called a pandemic, which has a wide impact on economy, trade, health care and politics.  No one is having those mental health issues in NZ, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore or even China now. When good policies work, everyone can live a better life. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Living your life as normal without any restrictions would eventually result in way more deaths from COVID than any increases in suicides.  Other studies show no appreciable increases in deaths from suicides because of the restrictions.  Which study do you believe?.  You can also argue that if governments around the world opened everything up, the number of suicides would go up as people lose loved ones and or have severe long haul symptoms that decrease the willingless for some to live.  We've been at this for how long now?  Its getting irritating to still hear this stupid argument about suicides when that has not been proven.  Jesus Christ, LISTEN TO SCIENCE.  I bloody tired of this!!!!

I'm going one further with this. The Interior folk like to refer to us as Covidiots, and Citidiots. Imagine Greater Vancouver, the Island, all heading to the Okanagan, Nicola Valley, Thompson Valley, the Kootenays, you get the picture. You want our tourism dollar, but not the virus. I've done my utmost best to not spread this effin virus, so I can see my grandkids, kids, relatives, friends and everyone else regularly. Unless you're working in an area outside your health regions, stay home and LISTEN TO THE SCIENCE. Do you really need to go to a bar, or restaurant?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Alaska Senator refuses to wear a mask and is banned from Alaska Airlines. She has to get to Juneau so she is driving but ironically either route takes her through Canada. Hopefully she is not permitted into Canada as she has demonstrated her intentions to defy restrictions.

Alaska Airlines bans Eagle River lawmaker for violating COVID-19 mask policy

JUNEAU — Alaska Airlines said Saturday that it has banned state Sen. Lora Reinbold, R-Eagle River, from its flights for continuing to refuse to follow mask-wearing requirements for travelers.

“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson said by email.

“This suspension is effective immediately, pending further review. Federal law requires all guests to wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times during travel, including throughout the flight, during boarding and deplaning, and while traveling through an airport,” he said.

The ban cast uncertainty on how Reinbold might rejoin the Alaska Senate when legislative work resumes Monday. No other airline has regularly scheduled direct flights between Anchorage and Juneau.

But it appeared as though Reinbold was pursuing an alternate travel solution: On Saturday night, Reinbold told an anti-mask group that she was “en route to Juneau” and had pulled her car over to the side of the road to talk.

“I have an unexpected trip that I am taking that is a little bit confidential,” Reinbold told the group. She did not answer a text message asking whether she was driving to Haines or Skagway, which had scheduled ferry service to Juneau on Sunday afternoon. Driving to either location requires going through Canada, which has implemented strict pandemic travel restrictions.

Thompson, with Alaska Airlines, said the length of Reinbold’s ban will be determined after a review. Alaska Airlines has banned 506 people as of Friday.

Reinbold said in a message to a Daily News reporter Saturday — after telling the anti-mask group she was en route to Juneau by car — that she had not been notified of a ban.

Thompson said he was not able to provide a copy of the notice sent to Reinbold, “but the notice was received.”

“I hope to be on an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future,” Reinbold said earlier Saturday.

Reinbold has been vocal in her objections to COVID-19 mitigation measures in the Alaska Capitol and in public and has repeatedly objected to Alaska Airlines’ mask policy, which was enacted in 2020 before the federal government began requiring masks aboard aircraft and public transportation earlier this year.

Last year, she referred to airline staff as “mask bullies” and the airline itself as “part of mask tyranny” after being asked by Alaska Airlines flight attendants to wear a mask aboard a flight. After the incident, she sent a cake to some airline flight attendants. The cake bore an inscription saying, “I’m sorry if I offended you.”

The airline’s ban comes after an incident this week at Juneau International Airport in which Reinbold was recorded apparently arguing with airport and Alaska Airlines staff about the mask policies.

A video posted to social media by the Alaska Landmine website appears to show part of the incident. A Juneau Police Department officer responded to the scene.

“JPD has an officer staffed at the airport full time, so we would be present or in the area of any issues there, but we didn’t take any enforcement action,” said Lt. Krag Campbell, a spokesman for the department.

The airport’s manager said surveillance video of the incident would be released only by court order.

Reinbold addressed the situation in a text message.

“I was reasonable with all Alaska Airlines employees,” she said. “I have been flying on Alaska Air for decades and am an MVP Gold (frequent flyer). I inquired about mask exemption with uptight employees at the counter.”

She said the timing of the complaint “and a specific employee” is of keen interest.

“I have been assured this (will) be looked into,” she said.

Reinbold was able to board a flight to Anchorage and said it was a “pleasant, safe flight with happy flight attendants and great, talented pilots.”

Lawmakers can participate in committee meetings by teleconference but cannot vote on the House or Senate floor remotely under current procedures.

They should track this bag all the way through BC, entitled shiite!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

We do takeout twice a week to support our local restaurants.  Also been spending more at the local hardware store to fix things around the house.

So have we, in fact the tiny Vietnamese place we support does what appears to be an excellent take away business. Skip the Dishes, etc., and guys like me.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

We do takeout twice a week to support our local restaurants.  Also been spending more at the local hardware store to fix things around the house.

Yep...I order/pick up Big Star Sandwich or Bamboo Express for my kids once a week or so and drop it off for them.  No visiting/contact...just call when I'm there and they come out to the car and get it.

Tuesday it's Dave's Fish & Chips for Dad and I.

I'm really focusing on buying local as much as possible.  It matters right now.

• Upvote 3

Love this. Order take out food. 

My bud owns a Thai restaurant so we try to support.

Go pick up too. It gets you out of the house and the restaurant you are helping out doesn't have to pay the big percentages the delivery app companies charge. 

• Cheers 2

Friend of my aunt went to whistler and Van Island this weekend for a holiday.  Getting on the ferry they just tick off "essential travel".  When they ask the ferry worker his reply is "it's not my job to enforce the restrictions"

Seriously, who's f***ing job is it.  No one wants to do anything, meanwhile the virus goes about its business.

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You know what really grinds my gears

The arse hats that claim "the virus only has a .009% fatility rate so why are we afraid of it?" also claiming that the vaccine with a .009% side effect rate is "not safe at all and I won't take it"

But also now care about childhood suicide rates but 12 months ago didn't care if timmy in high school took his life because of bullying or social stigmas

This virus has done little if anything to bring people together and has in fact furthered the divide.  If anything what it's done is highlight the utter glaring hypocrisy of people who don't give a crap about anything unless it affects them, then they're nothing more than a talking point to further their temper tantrums

Yeah, nothing to see here....I got my rights! Something wrong with a world where you have to offer free KK donuts or a pizza to get people to get vaccinated.

B.C.’s top doctor says a two-year-old child has died as a result of COVID-19, becoming the youngest person in the province to die of the disease.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the child lived in the Fraser Health region and was receiving care at BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver.

“Although the child had pre-existing health conditions that complicated the illness, it was the virus that caused their death,” Henry said.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yeah, nothing to see here....I got my rights! Something wrong with a world where you have to offer free KK donuts or a pizza to get people to get vaccinated.

B.C.’s top doctor says a two-year-old child has died as a result of COVID-19, becoming the youngest person in the province to die of the disease.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the child lived in the Fraser Health region and was receiving care at BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver.

“Although the child had pre-existing health conditions that complicated the illness, it was the virus that caused their death,” Henry said.

5E78C13A-6C9F-4A27-8DB2-797DF97D7524.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Buddy of mine works for Seaspan, and I'm rooting for him and his employer to start making more ships. 

Currently on order at Seapan

7 ships, and upto 10 more of a different class.

Looks like Seaspan gets all the Coast Gaurd ships and two Navy re supply/support vessels.

Eastern shipyards  are getting the 15 frigates and 5 Artic patrol ships of which 1 is already at sea in the HMCS Harry De Wolfe.

My avatar pic is that ship.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

India:

IMG_20210426_003300.jpg

I’m sure the death total in India is massively undercounted. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a doctor or a first responder in that country right now, as it’s probably taking a huge effect on their mental health as well.

There is also a viral image circulating around of an aerial view of crematoriums and burial grounds. The situation is really serious.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I’m sure the death total in India is massively undercounted. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a doctor or a first responder in that country right now, as it’s probably taking a huge effect on their mental health as well.

There is also a viral image circulating around of an aerial view of crematoriums and burial grounds. The situation is really serious.

I'd bet you could double, even triple the daily death count there

• Upvote 1