The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

38 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

US has extended its ban on non-essential travel with Canada, Mexico through to July 21

Sun 20 Jun 2021 21:31:22 GMT

Canada extended its ban similarly with the US on Friday, to July 21 also. 

Canada government to hold a press conference Monday to discuss border closure

Sun 20 Jun 2021 22:14:06 GMT

Canadian government ministers will hold a news conference at 10 am Monday 21 June 2021 

• 1400 GMT 
Will be outlining the updates to border crossing restrictions. 

Usually they just put out a press release saying border closure extended. I wonder why the need for a press conference?

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Probably because of this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blair-border-measures-vaccine-certification-1.6073004

There's more to the article, but this first section covers the reason for the press conference, I think.

There was also a story about some US politicians in border states complaining loudly about the restrictions being extended. There was a guy from New York (can't remember the name off the top of my head) who is noted for friendly relations with his Canadian counterparts.....when he expressed his frustration, it got more notice than it would have had say, Gym Jordan been the one doing the complaining.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There was also a story about some US politicians in border states complaining loudly about the restrictions being extended. There was a guy from New York (can't remember the name off the top of my head) who is noted for friendly relations with his Canadian counterparts.....when he expressed his frustration, it got more notice than it would have had say, Gym Jordan been the one doing the complaining.

To bad there couldn’t be some kind of exemption for Point Roberts.  

• Hydration 1
10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To bad there couldn’t be some kind of exemption for Point Roberts.  

I wonder if anyone knows the vaccination rates there. If they are similar to BC I don’t see any reason to keep the restrictions in place, specially considering the hardships that come with them from being cut off.

• Huggy Bear 1
4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually I'd like them all to be audited, and locked in jail. 

I'm a Bible believing Christian 

And I would have to agree with you.

• Hydration 2
46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Give it all our allies in NATO and or the Common Wealth, then to whoever else needs it.

Or we could return our "take" from COVAX first, and then look at NATO/Commonwealth/Taiwan/etc.  :P

(edit: actually, I noticed after I posted this that Canada had already made commitments to donate excess doses... plus no idea if Canada ever did take from COVAX, even though there was the highly publicised announcement that they would)

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, gurn said:

Give it all our allies in NATO and or the Common Wealth, then to whoever else needs it.

Was never any doubt in my mind this was the plan.  It gave us the best chance of securing vaccines, and allowed us to do our part to aid others.  Very pleased with how this was handled.

• Like 1

This is incredible.

China Southern Airlines.  The flight attendants wear more PPE than the COVID ICU Drs at my hospital. 

At least they are ready for Ebola :bigblush:

And now I see people trying to claim 50,000 people had died from the vaccine in America and its all being covered up.... 

FB_IMG_1624362431104.jpg

Wonder how long this vaccinated no quarantine only will last, I got some un-vaccinated friends going for a month vacation in a few months to Hawaii.  I know we booked a January flight to Mexico but we'll be fully vaccinated (wife and I, not kids as they are still really young).

Edited by Russ
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It’s so nice to see these infection numbers falling like this.  I think we in BC are listening to dr. Bonnie, and getting vaccinated.  I’m thinking we will get well over 80% of adults getting vaccinated here.  Maybe pushing 90%.  Seems like the vast majority of people here realize the importance of vaccination.  

On 6/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I was thinking he looks like an alcoholic dax shepard

I thought Dax Shepard was the alcoholic Dax Shepard?

Looking at the numbers back in 1918 the estimated world population was about 1.8 Billion, and it's estimated that 17-100 million people died back then that's a lot. The world population right now is about 7.9 Billion and there has been 3.87 million deaths, still high but definitely not close to the spanish flu. When comparing this to past pandemics especially with the population size difference now, we're actually doing pretty good compared to the past, but still sucks that many had to die because of it.

• Vintage 1
19 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Looking at the numbers back in 1918 the estimated world population was about 1.8 Billion, and it's estimated that 17-100 million people died back then that's a lot. The world population right now is about 7.9 Billion and there has been 3.87 million deaths, still high but definitely not close to the spanish flu. When comparing this to past pandemics especially with the population size difference now, we're actually doing pretty good compared to the past, but still sucks that many had to die because of it.

The 1918 influenza was brutal. The grandaddy of all H1N1 viruses, and one of the most dangerous viruses ever. It was most effective on healthy immune systems of adults from 19-35 years old, and estimated to have infected 1/3 of the population of the planet. 

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought Dax Shepard was the alcoholic Dax Shepard?

7 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Tbh i had no idea he had alcohol issues. 

He got religion (the booze type, at least)....

...hooking up with Kristen Bell will do that for a guy....

15 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Tbh i had no idea he had alcohol issues. 

he recently fell of the wagon and his wife went on a very public "my husband fell off the wagon" tour