The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

AFAIK, those restrictions have been lifted. However, some places might still require them.

I carry one around with me in case it's needed.

Been doing the same and throw it on when the situation seems to necessitate it. E.g: in the elevator at my building, inside smaller stores like a Starbucks where appropriate distancing is tougher to maintain.

I'm sure some people will call me an arse for it but in some situations, like walking through the lobby or halls of my building, I've just been walking with the mask hung over my ear for the most part. It's been kinda odd gauging everyone's comfort levels with masks since the mandate was lifted. On the day I was moving in (July 1) I mostly had the mask around my ear other than times where I was sharing the elevator. Had an older lady (maybe 75ish or so) yell at me for not wearing it. Told her the mandate had been lifted (she claimed it hadn't) and that I was partially vaxed. She said she wasn't vaxed so I asked why not, seeing as it had been made available to her quite some time ago- both doses even. She said she had elected not to get it because she doesn't trust it.

Does it make me an A-hole for thinking that's her own dam problem? If she had a legitimate reason for not getting it I would gladly wear the mask no questions asked, but given it was a personal choice of hers I feel no responsibility to help her out. Maybe that's a little callous of me.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Been doing the same and throw it on when the situation seems to necessitate it. E.g: in the elevator at my building, inside smaller stores like a Starbucks where appropriate distancing is tougher to maintain.

I'm sure some people will call me an arse for it but in some situations, like walking through the lobby or halls of my building, I've just been walking with the mask hung over my ear for the most part. It's been kinda odd gauging everyone's comfort levels with masks since the mandate was lifted. On the day I was moving in (July 1) I mostly had the mask around my ear other than times where I was sharing the elevator. Had an older lady (maybe 75ish or so) yell at me for not wearing it. Told her the mandate had been lifted (she claimed it hadn't) and that I was partially vaxed. She said she wasn't vaxed so I asked why not, seeing as it had been made available to her quite some time ago- both doses even. She said she had elected not to get it because she doesn't trust it.

Does it make me an A-hole for thinking that's her own dam problem? If she had a legitimate reason for not getting it I would gladly wear the mask no questions asked, but given it was a personal choice of hers I feel no responsibility to help her out. Maybe that's a little callous of me.

It's probably different in larger centers....here in our small corner of the North Coast, we're at over 60% fully vaccinated, so there are quite a few folks walking around maskless and probably a similar number still wearing them....but nobody is looking at anyone askance.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's probably different in larger centers....here in our small corner of the North Coast, we're at over 60% fully vaccinated, so there are quite a few folks walking around maskless and probably a similar number still wearing them....but nobody is looking at anyone askance.

I was hoping to get some discussion on my anecdote about the old lady in my building  :lol:. I imagine most of the 70+ are getting their shots but there will be some who refuse. I think it makes for a bit of an interesting moral debate.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I have to admit, that horse looks prettier than Dr. Henry does.  :wub:

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Attracted to animals eh? :bigblush:

Hidden for language:

Spoiler

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

I was hoping to get some discussion on my anecdote about the old lady in my building  :lol:. I imagine most of the 70+ are getting their shots but there will be some who refuse. I think it makes for a bit of an interesting moral debate.

From what I've been seeing and reading, it appears as though the youngsters are the most likely to be un-vaccinated.

My mom is 87 and she got both of her shots as soon as they became available.....but she was a hospital worker, so she might not be the best example.

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think it's ridiculous that she puts the onus on you to mask yourself. If she doesn't trust the vaccine, which she's well within her rights not to, she shouldn't yell at someone without a mask indoors without knowing their situation. Her approach is really hypocritical. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That's her own problem.  Good friend of mine is using a similar line of logic; he's not allowed to come visit me until he changes his mind.  Pretty hard to fix stupid at this point.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

From what I've been seeing and reading, it appears as though the youngsters are the most likely to be un-vaccinated.

My mom is 87 and she got both of her shots as soon as they became available.....but she was a hospital worker, so she might not be the best example.

I think it was ITT somebody posted an article citing a study that found the demographic most likely to refuse the vax in the US was middle-aged men from the Midwest. Up here though I believe you're correct, it is the U-30 or 40 crowd that's most likely to refuse it. Not sure there was much of a difference between men and women though.

IIRC I saw something like 80 or 90% of the older crowd was getting their shot. The vast majority of them no doubt, but that leaves some of them without a shot and not all of them are declining it for medical reasons.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's her own problem.  Good friend of mine is using a similar line of logic; he's not allowed to come visit me until he changes his mind.  Pretty hard to fix stupid at this point.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it's ridiculous that she puts the onus on you to mask yourself. If she doesn't trust the vaccine, which she's well within her rights not to, she shouldn't yell at someone without a mask indoors without knowing there situation. Her approach is really hypocritical. 

That was kinda my thinking too. I mean, I'm relatively young at 27 and I've got both shots. The 70+ crowd has been able to get their first shot for about three months now and their second for at least a month if I'm not mistaken. As far as I'm concerned, if you're eligible for your shots and refusing it then I feel no responsibility for your well being. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

That was kinda my thinking too. I mean, I'm relatively young at 27 and I've got both shots. The 70+ crowd has been able to get their first shot for about three months now and their second for at least a month if I'm not mistaken. As far as I'm concerned, if you're eligible for your shots and refusing it then I feel no responsibility for your well being. 

I might mask up around her for my own safety though.

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Personally, I support a person's choice to make whatever decision works for them regarding this situation. Some consistency in thought is what would be nice. 

Refusing the vaccination because she doesn't trust it is her right, but why wear a mask and demand that others do as well? Also, she seems like a bit of an ass to argue with you that the mandate hadn't been lifted when it had been. 

Were you both in an elevator when the "discussion" occurred?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

JO can be pretty dam funny at times but yeah, at times he can definitely be a bit much. I find his segments to be pretty informative though if you don't mind a hard liberal slant :lol:

Oliver is a much watch every Sunday night for me.

He seems to do one of those awkward sexual things every season, for comic relief. (a lot of his topics are pretty heavy) Last season, he had this running thing where he was crushing on Adam Driver. Of course, at the end of the season, Driver Face Times him and reads him the riot act....:lol:

This season he's doing this thing where every time he snaps his fingers, George Clooney magically appears, doing whatever he happens to be doing at the time. (very much like the Bugs Bunny cartoon, with Aladdins lamp)

• Upvote 2