The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

52 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

29 new cases today....not new deaths.

We're in the home stretch....I feel like they're pushing things a little too quickly.  All of a sudden a huge leap to normality but it seems a little premature.  Would prefer to wait until those who want to be fully vaccinated are.  My kids being the focus there for me.

The numbers are low, but that can change (as we've seen before).

We had nearly 3 months of no cases and then it burst again.

Another few months of no cases and then it burst again.

Your government is dealing with vaccination far better than our bunch of incompetent morons so here's hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel for you in Canada.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's too bad the federal Gov't can't just pass some type of law to herd all the Anti-Vaxers/Flat-earth believers into one isolated place like Alberta - where they are cut-off a thousand miles from the nearest civilized city and can do no harm to normal people.

The ‘Maskchinians’.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they kind of gravitated their own way there already. 

We have an SFU student renting with us from Alberta. She is fully vaccinated, is studying sciences, with a masters degree on the horizon.

Her father and many of her family aren't getting vaccinated, because of their "healthy immune system". Two days ago we heard the same thing from a friend of my wife, whose niece and her husband resisted on getting the vaccines. One works in administration for a Province wide organization and her husband is self employed. Guess what? Hubbie spends 17 days in ICU, and was on a ventilator for a time. Both are currently long haulers with brain fog among the symptoms. Nothing more than the flu!

Edited by johngould21
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We have an SFU student renting with us from Alberta. Her father and many of her family aren't getting vaccinated, because of their "healthy immune system". Two days ago we heard the same thing from a friend of my wife, whose niece and her husband resisted on getting the vaccines. One works in administration for a Province wide organization and her husband is self employed. Guess what? Hubbie spends 17 days in ICU, and was on a ventilator for a time. Both are currently long haulers with brain fog among the symptoms. Nothing more than the flu!

Have they learned from their experiences?

21 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We have an SFU student renting with us from Alberta. Her father and many of her family aren't getting vaccinated, because of their "healthy immune system". Two days ago we heard the same thing from a friend of my wife, whose niece and her husband resisted on getting the vaccines. One works in administration for a Province wide organization and her husband is self employed. Guess what? Hubbie spends 17 days in ICU, and was on a ventilator for a time. Both are currently long haulers with brain fog among the symptoms. Nothing more than the flu!

yeah that sounds about right. Pseudo-medical beliefs about ones own immune system is some scary BS to tell yourself. 

One of my daughters best friends parents believe covid is a "hoax". Guess where the dad works 3 weeks at a time? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah that sounds about right. Pseudo-medical beliefs about ones own immune system is some scary BS to tell yourself. 

One of my daughters best friends parents believe covid is a "hoax". Guess where the dad works 3 weeks at a time? 

Not only scary but damn dangerous as well, as in this story from last year. A parent who would decide to take medical advice from a Facebook anti-vax group rather than a doctor is criminally  stupid. Members of an anti-vaxx group who would offer advice to disregard a doctor to a parent of a child in medical distress are equivalent to encouraging a murder or suicide. 

On a side note I searched and was able to find everything but the potato in the socks part of the story so that may have been needlessly  gratuitous.

2B8B299D-CEF7-4831-BFC2-ABE424DCCD80.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not only scary but damn dangerous as well, as in this story from last year. A parent who would decide to take medical advice from a Facebook anti-vax group rather than a doctor is criminally  stupid. Members of an anti-vaxx group who would offer advice to disregard a doctor to a parent of a child in medical distress are equivalent to encouraging a murder or suicide. 

On a side note I searched and was able to find everything but the potato in the socks part of the story so that may have been needlessly  gratuitous.

2B8B299D-CEF7-4831-BFC2-ABE424DCCD80.jpeg

I don't know why some people are attracted to these kinds of groups. When I hear people say western medicine has failed us I just feel sad for them,

• Cheers 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57667987

Uk to start giving third dose ‘boosters’ in september

The NHS has been given the green light to start planning a Covid vaccine booster programme in the UK ahead of this winter.

A bigger flu season than normal is expected, meaning extra protection against Covid is likely to be needed.

More than 30 million of the most vulnerable should receive a third dose, vaccine experts are advising.

They will include all adults aged 50 and over, and anyone younger who qualifies for a flu jab.

Health service bosses had previously said they needed lots of warning of an autumn Covid-19 booster rollout in order to plan the logistics alongside vaccinating millions of people against flu.

Interim advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) is that boosters will help maintain protection against Covid-19 and new variants for those most at risk, before winter comes.

The vaccines are thought to protect most people against serious illness for at least six months, but a lack of data on exactly how long immunity lasts is prompting a safety-first approach.

No decisions have yet been made on which vaccines will be used.

Winter flu comeback

Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, deputy chief medical officer for England, said: "We want to be on the front foot for Covid-19 booster vaccination to keep the probability of loss of vaccine protection, due to waning immunity or variants, as low as possible - especially over the coming autumn and winter."

He said other respiratory viruses, particularly flu, "will make a comeback" and be an additional problem this winter.

"We will need to ensure protection against flu, as well as maintaining protection against Covid-19," Prof Van-Tam said.

Health and Social Care Secretary Sajid Javid said ministers were working with the NHS to rapidly deliver the programme from September.

"Our first Covid-19 vaccination programme is restoring freedom in this country, and our booster programme will protect this freedom," he said.

Scotland's health secretary Humza Yousaf said the government had been working closely with NHS boards to plan for the booster campaign, while the current vaccination programme "continues at pace and remains on schedule".

Wales' Health Minister Eluned Morgan said she was working with Welsh health boards to ensure they can deliver a booster programme "from the start of September".

"In line with the other nations of the UK, the Welsh government welcomes the JCVI advice," she said. "It very much aligns with our thinking and our planning assumptions to date."

The JCVI's final advice will be published before September, when better data will be available on how long protection from the first two doses of the vaccines lasts. The latest figures on hospitalisations, emerging variants and trials will also be taken into account at that point, and could change their advice.

Who could get a third dose?

In the meantime, the JCVI's advice is to offer a third Covid jab (and a flu jab) to the following people from September 2021:

• adults aged 16 and over who are immunosuppressed or clinically extremely vulnerable
  • residents in care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 70 and over
  • frontline health and social care workers

After those groups, it will be:

• all adults aged 50 and over
  • adults aged 16-49 who are in a flu or Covid-19 at-risk group
  • those living in the same house as people who are immunosuppressed

Prof Wei Shen Lim, Covid-19 chair for JCVI, said all these groups would also be eligible for the annual flu vaccine and were strongly advised to have it.

Younger adults will be not be given a third dose, because they will only have had their second dose in the summer, although this decision will be revisited at a later time, the JCVI said.

• Vintage 2

I was in and out of the pharmacy pretty good, took me in right away and just waited the 15 mins afterwards seemed much more organized this time around whereas the first time so many people there I think they were overwhelmed

16 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Who could get a third dose?

In the meantime, the JCVI's advice is to offer a third Covid jab (and a flu jab) to the following people from September 2021:

• adults aged 16 and over who are immunosuppressed or clinically extremely vulnerable
  • residents in care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 70 and over
  • frontline health and social care workers

After those groups, it will be:

• all adults aged 50 and over
  • adults aged 16-49 who are in a flu or Covid-19 at-risk group
  • those living in the same house as people who are immunosuppressed

Prof Wei Shen Lim, Covid-19 chair for JCVI, said all these groups would also be eligible for the annual flu vaccine and were strongly advised to have it.

Younger adults will be not be given a third dose, because they will only have had their second dose in the summer, although this decision will be revisited at a later time, the JCVI said.

I assume this doesn't apply to Albertans ???

On 6/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, johngould21 said:

We have an SFU student renting with us from Alberta. She is fully vaccinated, is studying sciences, with a masters degree on the horizon.

Her father and many of her family aren't getting vaccinated, because of their "healthy immune system". Two days ago we heard the same thing from a friend of my wife, whose niece and her husband resisted on getting the vaccines. One works in administration for a Province wide organization and her husband is self employed. Guess what? Hubbie spends 17 days in ICU, and was on a ventilator for a time. Both are currently long haulers with brain fog among the symptoms. Nothing more than the flu!

People mistakenly think vaccines are only needed in people with poor immune system.  But if you ask them if they will be willing to get infected by HIV or Ebola and test it out, I bet very few will sign up.  In reality, vaccines won't work well in people with weakened immune system. More reason to reach community immunity via vaccination to protect them. 

• Thanks 1