The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

I have been trying to think of all the types of workers that will really struggle. The types that rely on close human contact. Beautician, massage therapist, physiotherapist, chiropractor, etc. They will have it tough.

Once this is over I will be booking appointments with those types of services so I can help boost them back up.

If you have a favorite restaurant or business. Buy a gift certificate from them so they get the dough now and you can use it later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yes, he stood his ground against the Saudi's human rights abuses. They flipped their lid and retaliated and now the Saudi's have destroyed our oil industry. That's what happens when we punch above our weight.

If anybody had doubts who our friends were then, then they shouldn't now.  There are no "real friends".  Only countries that act in their self-interest (including our own).  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We are in a position of weakness. They are ten times our size.

Yes, he stood his ground against the Saudi's human rights abuses. They flipped their lid and retaliated and now the Saudi's have destroyed our oil industry. That's what happens when we punch above our weight.

So held hostage?

We need a leader who really doesn't buckle to that.

Anyhow...I'm out.  There's enough stress in the world right now and what I won't do is stand my ground in arguing a point.  Politics isn't my focus right now...hoping everyone's loved ones get through this thing is.  Have a great day, be safe. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So held hostage?

Anyhow...I'm out.  There's enough stress in the world right now and what I won't do is stand my ground in arguing a point.  Politics isn't my focus right now...hoping everyone's loved ones get through this thing is.  Have a great day, be safe. 

We can't change our geography.

Anyway, you have a great day too Deb, :)

Closing the US boarder would be disastrous for the country.  Before long there would be food shortages and essential health care items would disappear?  We are reliant on our trade with the Americans for so much that we don't even realize.

Keep the border open for trade requirements only.  Anyone else would be turned back.  And for heavens' sake, please shut down the ferries that are currently running from Washington to Vancouver Island!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If you have a favorite restaurant or business. Buy a gift certificate from them so they get the dough now and you can use it later.

Great idea!

I live in a growing community. The local pub finally just opened up last Thu (as in grand opening). I feel so bad for them. Looking forward to visiting them when I can.

Have NO IDEA how accurate Crappy Tire online inventory is but for those looking for toilet paper:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rapid-dissolve-camp-tissue-4-pk-0762992p.html#srp

Likely still instock (at the Cambie & 7th location) because it IS rather EXPENSIVE.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

You're delusional. 

It's that thinking that will keep Canada down.

Canada is one of the most blessed nations as far as natural resources go.

If Canadians would stop destroying their own country the Saudis couldn't do anything. 

As for the US, prior to nafta Canada did just fine. 

These fear tactics, acting as if Canada is a third world country is ridiculous. Ffs we were part of the allies that liberated Europe. 

Saudia Arabia is outside our weight class, give me a break.

Edited by Ryan Strome

31 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm confused. Are we still allowing international flights inbound but only to certain airports? So anybody can still visit Canada?

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Only Canadian and US citizens.

Looks like WestJet is shutting things down regardless 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't vote for JT and I don't think they're doing enough, but I do feel he's the right leader at this time.  He's a compassionate person and I truly feel that he has the best interests of all Canadians in his heart.  It's much easier to point fingers at times like this than it is to try and map a way out of it and look out for the needs of 40ish million people.

Now isn't the time to try and tear people down (not saying you), now is the time to tighten our bonds together.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
 Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
 The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
 The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

~ Yeats

Well said, stawns. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Interesting maybe read up on Taiwan. @debluvscanucks is absolutely correct. 

The only reason he isn't closing the border is he doesn't want to aggravate the Americans, however his first priority should be keeping Canadians safe.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

But rather than Trudeau supporters making up nonsense why not just come out and say what you did?

Your JT obsession knows no bounds, does it? :lol:

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So held hostage?

Let's not try to kid ourselves that he's making these decisions on his own. He's not a dictator. As much as he's the 'leader' of our country, there's an entire group of people including medical, economic, political etc experts all giving their input and formulating what to do as the plan. He's just the lucky schmuck sent out to tell us what it is.

BTW, I tend to agree that we should close the borders to all non-trade related travel. That said, I can't expect there's a terrible amount of that going on at the moment anyhow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well said, stawns. 

Though for those of us who studied literature in University, this is a famous poem, it was most appropriately used by General Starkey in Stephen King's The Stand.  They have tried, desperately, to contain Captain Tripps and he cites the poem "The Second Coming" when he finally realizes that the centre did not hold, containment has failed and the fate of the world is written.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
 Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
 The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
 The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

~ Yeats

Heh, the first time I heard this was actually in a video game!  "Wing Commander IV - The price of Freedom".  It was more of a FMV (full motion video) game.  With Malcom McDowell & John Rhys-Davies handling the dialoge in that relevant scene.  "Biff" from the Back to the Future movies is in it (as well as "Luke Skywalker" - the lead).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

we are in many ways, but we're far from defenceless with the US. Our nafta re-negotiation showed that we are very important, in fact the most important, trade partner for 30+ US states. So we do have weight in the room. But yeah, we do have to be careful. It is what it is, some dogs are bigger. 

On the Saudi's tho, I don't think Man Boy Saudi gave Canada a seconds thought in the oil price drop. We're probably just fun collateral damage for him. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Heh, the first time I heard this was actually in a video game!  "Wing Commander IV - The price of Freedom".  It was more of a FMV (full motion video) game.  With Malcom McDowell & John Rhys-Davies handling the dialoge in that relevant scene.  "Biff" from the Back to the Future movies is in it (as well as "Luke Skywalker" - the lead).

I first read it when I was 10 or 11, then studied it in a few lit courses and, most appropriately cited by Starkey in "The Stand" as he realizes his failure in containing Cpt Tripps.

• Cheers 1